• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things Baseball

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quite difficult for schools in the Northeast to practice over the winter and in early spring: schools in the South and the Southwest have a big climate advantage in getting outside for early season practice.
True. Hence the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues. All I know is our baseball program is historically . . . not great. Much like our basketball program. You go to PSU to play football, wrestle, or fence. Or play volleyball if you’re a woman.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
You don’t see this every day: an inside the park Grand Slam. Not saying Boston is playing bad, but they lost 28-5 (not a typo) and gave up 55 runs in a 3 game stretch.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The greatest baseball announcer of all time just passed, Vin Scully was 94. Starting in 1950, he called the Brooklyn Dodges and then moved on to LA as the voice of the team for 66 years. When paired with Joe Garagiola, it was baseball magic.

A sample from the 1984 World Series:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps the rarest feat in baseball is hitting for the home run cycle. The cycle, a rare feat unto itself, is a batter hitting a single, double, triple and homerun in the same game. The homerun cycle is a batter hitting a solo homerun, a 2 run homerun, a 3 run homerun and a grandslam in the same game.

It has never been accomplished in the history of Major League Baseball - and happened for only the 2nd time ever in the history of minor league ball a few nights ago.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
From Houston, Game 1 of the World Series tonight. The Phillies (87-75) are a massive underdog but possibly got hot at the exact right time. The Astros ((106-56) have a chance to make history by becoming the first team to go undefeated through the playoffs.

Starting pitchers are Aaron Nola (11-13, 3.25 ERA) for Philadelphia vs the incomparable Justin Verlander (18-4, 1.75 ERA) for Houston.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
From Houston, Game 1 of the World Series tonight. The Phillies (87-75) are a massive underdog but possibly got hot at the exact right time. The Astros ((106-56) have a chance to make history by becoming the first team to go undefeated through the playoffs.

Starting pitchers are Aaron Nola (11-13, 3.25 ERA) for Philadelphia vs the incomparable Justin Verlander (18-4, 1.75 ERA) for Houston.
Rooting for the Phillies

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
One of the fun books in my library at home is:

1667220429368.jpeg

It Ain't Cheating If You Don't Get Caught : Throwing a Spitter, Corking a Bat, and Other Fundamentals of Our National Pastime​

Probably my favorite (as a pitcher) was the one where they hard froze the baseballs overnight to make the balls dead the next day.

taxi1

pilot
Rubbing is racing…stealing signs is baseball.
You do the crime (and get caught) you do the time, and enjoy the badge of shame for all eternity.

They should have had to forfeit the 2017 World Series, and the owner should have been forced to sell. Change their name. Move to El Paso. Hide in the desert.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You do the crime (and get caught) you do the time, and enjoy the badge of shame for all eternity.

They should have had to forfeit the 2017 World Series, and the owner should have been forced to sell. Change their name. Move to El Paso. Hide in the desert.
Should’ve, could’ve, would’ve…if they win the series (and I don’t care) the “shame” will wash off just fine.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Should’ve, could’ve, would’ve…if they win the series (and I don’t care) the “shame” will wash off just fine.
My apologies to @taxi1 my post comes across as asshole when I meant it to be “funnier.” My point, we like to pretend professional sports are pure but every team and every player is looking for an extra-legal edge.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
One of the fun books in my library at home is:

View attachment 36561

It Ain't Cheating If You Don't Get Caught : Throwing a Spitter, Corking a Bat, and Other Fundamentals of Our National Pastime​

Probably my favorite (as a pitcher) was the one where they hard froze the baseballs overnight to make the balls dead the next day.
How is that possible, I thought the Umpires rubbed the balls down before each game. Wouldn't they have noticed ice cold balls (insert joke here).

Side fact: before each game, baseballs are rubbed down with mud harvested from the Delaware River/Bay, the exact location is kept secret, even MLB doesn't know the exact location of the special mud.