• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things Baseball

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's also one of the reasons it's tough for some fans to deal with the name change thing.
Those damn Yankees burned down my great great grand pappy’s farm while he was off fighting for his country….where’s my name change? ?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Dodgers over the Giants 2-1 in Game 5 with a run in the 9th.) About as evenly matched as 2 teams can be (they played 24 games this year, each won 12). Dodgers won the 25th game.

Now up are the League Championship Series: Dodgers-Braves in the National and Red Sox-Astros in the American.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'd like to see a coast-to-coast series with the Dodgers vs Red Sox. But in truth I don't care too much who wins in any case...baseball season is waaaaayyyyy to long.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Red Sox set a record today: first playoff game ever with 2 grand slams. Series toed at 1-1.

Late edit: Dodgers commit a cardinal sin of getting thrown out at 3rd base for the 3rd out in the top of the 9th inning. Braves manufacture the winning run with a single, stolen base and then RBI single to take Game 1 by a score of 3-2.

GroundPounder

And then there were 2. Here we go: Astros vs Braves.

Late edit: Ironic that MLB took the All-Star game away from Atlanta but now the World Series will be in Georgia.

Our current governor has made that point with our next governor.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
At what point in a professional adult's life is it acceptable to change your "hometown team of residence?" Once you've left East Podunk and are pretty sure you're never going back when do you switch to the local?

I figure it's once you're stable in a new place and you have kids and you're trying to pass down the game. Then you have to switch to the local so you can the little people out to the ball game for the cracker jacks, etc. Also helps with local broadcasts of more games.

Good question. I will root for any Palmetto State team first regardless of which state we are in - and hope that enthusiasm carries over to my children. The kids will obviously have allegiance to their local high schools, but I plan on taking them once a year to a football game at Williams-Brice Stadium, or to Frank Howard Field or a baseball game at Coastal Carolina - and pro baseball will always be Atlanta.

Speaking of Atlanta, Game 1 goes to the Braves 6-2. First time in World Series history that the first batter of the game led off with a homerun. Unfortunately, Atlanta lost its starting pitcher for the series with a broken leg after being hit by a line drive. Game 2 tonight. GO BRAVES!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
One of the best catches you will ever see by Rosario in left field, robbing Altuve (who is money in the post-season) of an extra base hit in Game 4.

Game 3 was interesting in the fact the Braves pulled their starting pitcher after 5 innings despite having a no-hitter and used multiple relievers to shutout the Astros. Very different from the Braves of the ‘90’s who had one of the all-time best starting rotations of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz but a weak bullpen.

STOVLer

pilot
One of the best catches you will ever see by Rosario in left field, robbing Altuve (who is money in the post-season) of an extra base hit in Game 4.

Game 3 was interesting in the fact the Braves pulled their starting pitcher after 5 innings despite having a no-hitter and used multiple relievers to shutout the Astros. Very different from the Braves of the ‘90’s who had one of the all-time best starting rotations of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz but a weak bullpen.

Hated that call. Hated the Blake Snell call from last year too.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Poetic Justice for what MLB did to Atlanta earlier this year by taking away the All Star game.

Braves win the World Series game 6 by a score of 7-0, winning the series 4 games to 2.

GO BRAVES!

Late edit for baseball trivia: Dusty Baker (Houston’s manager) was in the on deck circle and next to bat when Hank Aaron hit home run #715.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Public Service Announcement

ET5uYd8WsAMjW7x.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There is another article in the morning news about the excessive length of modern baseball games. This year the average was 3h10m; in 1980 it was 2h33m. There's something in there about a 17 second pitch clock, similar idea to the shot clock in basketball. I would love to see MLB do this! It's been a problem for a long time. I remember talking about it thirty years ago, during the steroid era (ha!) when 9 inning games were regularly pushing 3 hours, mostly because of prima donnas who couldn't seem to keep their ##### in the batter's box between pitches. That extra half hour is a little big deal on school nights, something I think that matters for what we call "America's favorite pastime." Though the leagues don't seem to be losing any fans or money over it.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
There is another article in the morning news about the excessive length of modern baseball games. This year the average was 3h10m; in 1980 it was 2h33m. There's something in there about a 17 second pitch clock, similar idea to the shot clock in basketball. I would love to see MLB do this! It's been a problem for a long time. I remember talking about it thirty years ago, during the steroid era (ha!) when 9 inning games were regularly pushing 3 hours, mostly because of prima donnas who couldn't seem to keep their ##### in the batter's box between pitches. That extra half hour is a little big deal on school nights, something I think that matters for what we call "America's favorite pastime." Though the leagues don't seem to be losing any fans or money over it.

Why not limit the amount of time a batter can spend outside the box, but a pitch clock basically does the same thing.

Grew up an Orioles and Braves fan in the 90's. I remember going to All-Star Fan Fest at Camden Yards when we hosted the All-Star Game, I wore a Braves jersey and hat for my baseball card photo to the horror of my dad, a lifelong Orioles fan. Glad to see one of them doing well.