• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ak-74

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
is there any particular brand of receiver or kit that one should purchase or are they all generally the same?

I lurked and asked questions on AR15.com and basically asked the same thing. If you are using "Mil-Spec" parts, then everything should come together. I really like the folks at J & T Distributing - I bought the base 20" HBAR rifle kit for $459 and had it UPS at my door step a few days later. Getting the stripped lower was a little more work being that it's the actual "firearm". I ended up driving to a dealer about 50 miles away who had a stripped lower in stock for a little more than a hundred bucks.

Following the instructions on AR15.com I assembled everything in an evening, in my basement workbench with only the most basic of tools. You could get by with a Leatherman tool if you had too.

Really fun experience so far. The accuracy, reliability and simplicity of the AR design fascinates me. It's really a clever bit of engineering! Oh and doid I mention it's a blast to shoot? We have a local private and a public state range here in Northern KY and I've already put about 300 rounds through this thing!

The endless amount of accessories for this thing is mind boggling too. Check out the folks at Magpul (www.magpul.com) They make some great toys!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Wow, wasn't aware so many people have gone with J&T/Doublestar...definitely the best kept secret in AR building.

MasterBates

Quality is excellent, and the customer service is outstanding.

While there may be more "high end" stuff out there... For the average non-match AR it is the best bang for the buck.

Their equipment maybe of the quality of match grade. I can't tell, because the rifle is capable of more than I am.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am 100% with MB on his recommendation. You really can't go wrong with the folks at J&T/Doublestar.

I'm thinking we need to have an Airwarriors shoot somewhere at a range - shoot, eat, drink, etc. Hmmmm... We could do an East and West Coast event..

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I'm game.. Where are we going to do it?

I heard there's a good place by the airport. It's outdoors, which I would much rather prefer. Forgot the name of it, but I'll know Tuesday. I'm game any time....

Just say when!!

doc_092_thumb.jpg