• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ak-74

skidz

adrenaline junky
I have been looking for a solid rifle for not all that much given my limited budget. I found the AK-74, a rifle that I have looked at on and off for quite a few years now, a solid rifle with a ballistically similar round to the 5.56x45. It is a Russian weapon, and I have had no trigger time with one, thus is the reason why I have come here. Has anyone here had any trigger time or known someone who has and what are your thoughts on the weapon?

My second choice, although more expensive an in the more popular ar style, the Stag Arms Stag-15 Model 3. I would buy Wilson Combat flip up front and rear sights for this until I had enough for a Adjicon Reflex sight, which I could easily mount on either of these two weapons.

Any advice or thoughts on these two weapons are greatly appreciated.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AK-74 clones in 5.45x39mm are increasingly popular. The ammo is harder to find than 7.62x39mm, so take that into consideration.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Ak-74 fires a faster, longer, lighter round than the Ak-47, but basically it is the same weapon. It will be about as reliable as you can possibly get. Accuracy will not be up to par with an AR.

Instead of the Stag Arms why dont you look in to buying a lower and getting a kit and puting it together yourself. Putting an AR together is so easy a cave man could do it, and you get to build what you want. You can get a stripped lower for <$100 and get a kit for around $500.

Its pretty much up to you as for what you want, but I wouldnt go with an AK just for the cost. With recent costs of AK's the difference is not that much anyway.

skidz

adrenaline junky
The 5.45x39 is nearly ballistically identical to the 5.56x45 rd, and the Russian rifles are generally more inaccurate than western rifles, all already said.

I have been able to find mass quantities of 5.45 rds for less than half the cost of 5.56 rds, but who knows how long that's going to last.

A kit does seem much cheaper than buying a complete rifle. I just prefer a complete flat top with a flat top gas block as well for more choices in optics. I really like the Reflex, which sits low and I would need to eliminate the front post anyways, which is why that rifle stood out to me.

Thanks so far for the inputs.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I second building your own AR-15. Not particularly fond of AK's, I've just always found them to not be accurate enough for my own tastes, and while they're hard to make malfunction, I actually have found them less instinctive to take apart than an AR-15. I'd recommend Doublestar/JT Distributing parts from here in Winchester, KY...very nice quality stuff for cheap.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Build your own AR

I would agree with the folks on building your own AR - You would be surprised at how affordable it is.

For example:

Buy Complete HBAR, Flat-Top 20" Rifle Kit, - everything but stripped lower receiver - delivered UPS to your door: (barrel, upper reciver, handguards, gas system, sight already assembled and test fired...
kits_complete20.jpg

$459
http://jtdistributing.com/store/rifle_kits.html

Buy stripped lower receiver: $100
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65663982

pix2368646065.jpg

Put it all together:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
He was talking about how to do it if you live in America, not the USSK.
Да, мой друг все окликнул нашего славного руководителя Diane Feinstein, и ее воевода Arnold Schwarzenegger!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can get a great condition Yugoslav SKS for 300 dollars. Uses 7.62 round and you can upgrade all parts as you like it over time.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Here is some info.

Dale

1) accuracy and SKS don't belong in the same sentence w/o the word NOT in there somewhere.

2) if you're paying anywhere close to $300 for an SKS, you are a fucking idiot.

3) anything that shoots 7.62x39 is not inherently close to being accurate.

Lawman

None
1) accuracy and SKS don't belong in the same sentence w/o the word NOT in there somewhere.

We used to call those Gun Show Starter kits at the Range I frequent. Typically some hill jack that just turned 18 with $150 bucks to spend buys one of them (or a Mosin-Nagant) and a box of steel core ammo, brings it straight to the range without so much as cleaning or inspecting his new thunderstick, and then proceeds to raise all kind of hell on the range while experiancing multiple malfunctions and shooting up the wall and ceiling as much as the back stop.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'll second that. As an SKS owner, I think they're great fun to shoot, but only if you're not too concerned about what you're hitting. :D

Brett

skidz

adrenaline junky
I wish the Sr-47 was available to the public, that's one sweet rifle.

I've been looking at buying a M-4gery through parts, the DPMS website is great for finding parts and such. What about 7.62x39 Ar's? The ammo is much cheaper than 5.56x45, that's why I'm asking.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish the Sr-47 was available to the public, that's one sweet rifle.

Why? MGI has been making modular lowers with interchangeable magwells for a while now.

edit: 7.62x39 is no longer "much cheaper" than 5.56. Gone are the days of 1000 rds of Wolf for $75. It's all about the same now.