• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft's loving nicknames

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
At the RAG we called it the MH-60S the Chicken Hawk for a little while. ....

Isn't a "chickenhawk" a slang term for an old gay guy who picks young guys up? Perhaps it is appropos...or not.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not meaning to flame on the OP.

I have heard other rotary communities refer to the Prog as

Two palm trees doing obscene acts with a dempsty dumpster ...:):):)

Probably because they're always spread and broken on the tram. :D

HuggyU2

None
IIRC the old man called the A-37 the Dragonfly, even thought the AF called it the Super Tweet... or maybe it was the other way around; either way he says it was his all time favorite airplane to fly.
Swanee, I came across this post from 2008. Thought I'd add on to it.

On Thursday, I took the only flying A-37 in North America into the air for the first time in 9 months. She flew great! Did a couple maintenance flights, then took her to Idaho where she will be for the summer.

This one is unique in that it was delivered to the South Vietnamese and flew about 2200 hours in combat with them. When the south was overrun, the commies captured it... and then THEY flew it for a while until they ran out of parts. It ended up in Australia and finally the US after the current owner bought it and began his 20+ year restoration. It looks EXACTLY how it looked in Vietnam.

We may have it at EAA Oshkosh Sunday-Thursday, so stop by and say hi if you end up there.A-37 4 tanks.JPGA-37 belly.JPG

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

On Thursday, I took the only flying A-37 in North America into the air for the first time in 9 months. She flew great! Did a couple maintenance flights, then took it to Idaho where it will be for the summer.

This one is unique in that it was delivered to the South Vietnamese and flew about 2200 hours in combat with them. When the south was overrun, the commies captured it... and then THEY flew it for a while until they ran out of parts. It ended up in Australia and finally the US after the current owner bought it and began his 20+ year restoration. It looks EXACTLY how it looked in Vietnam.

We may have it at EAA Oshkosh Sunday-Thursday, so stop by and say hi if you end up there.

What a history… That must have been one hell of a ferry flight.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

On Thursday, I took the only flying A-37 in North America into the air for the first time in 9 months. She flew great! Did a couple maintenance flights, then took it to Idaho where it will be for the summer.

We may have it at EAA Oshkosh Sunday-Thursday, so stop by and say hi if you end up there.View attachment 40631View attachment 40632

Very cool!

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

On Thursday, I took the only flying A-37 in North America into the air for the first time in 9 months. She flew great! Did a couple maintenance flights, then took her to Idaho where she will be for the summer.

We may have it at EAA Oshkosh Sunday-Thursday, so stop by and say hi if you end up there.View attachment 40631View attachment 40632
There's one of these outside CSL Comalapa in El Salvador. Always wanted to see one up close in and person. Looks like it has a very roomy cockpit (even if that is not the case). I certainly miss the times of side by side cockpits in tactical aircraft.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
P-8 Poseidon.

Any slang terms yet?
We could make some up.

For the guys who studied the Classics, “Boeing’s Boeotian Bomber.”

The two-engined trident.

MAX Pain.

The Poseidon Adventure.

Twin Engne Torp Truck (TETT for short).

OK…I’ll stop.