• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft's loving nicknames

Pags

N/A
pilot

ENSIGN EATER = More than just the low-slung F-8 intake on that particular bird -- as just about every "tough to land" aircraft to come along since the F4U Crusader had the moniker of "Ensign Eater" somewhere in its history ... when I was in it was attributed to the new NUGGET Ensigns getting an F-8 or RF-8 seat w/ the problems inherent in assigning inexperienced Aviators to fly an aircraft that was a handful to land. :)

I'd heard "Ensign Eliminator" for the Corsair, amongst others.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
F-5 aka The "Mig-28" :) ...but that is just hearsay because nobody has been close enough to one except one time in 1986.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I used to watch the A-37s come taxiing down the seawall at NAS Jax with 4 drop tanks that were each 2/3rds the length of the plane itself. Loud, shrill little bastards.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh yeah -- forgot:

"DOUBLE UGLY" was originally coined for the A-6 Intruder, possibly the finest all-WX attack aircraft to ever fly from the deck of a Navy carrier .... :) .... you know; two engines, two crewmen, VERY ugly, etc., etc ....

It was appropriated sometime later by the EA-6B community as the Intruder left the scene and the EA Queer drivers got tired of being called .... "Queers". :D

They would never have dared pull that stunt when the birds of 6-8 ATKRONs graced the ramps @ Whidbey and Oceana, respectively ... :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
As ubiquitious as the 60 is, I've never heard a good loving nickname for it. Nor have I heard a derogatory name for it. It always seems to be "the 60", "I fly 60s", "I fly Bravos", or "I fly Sierras". Other than seeing Knighthawk on a patch, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to the Sierra as such.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
At the RAG we called it the MH-60S the Chicken Hawk for a little while. One of our IP's (who is now the XO or CO of HSC-22) made a patch with the Chicken Hawk from Fog Horn Leg Horn that said "Chicken Hawk Instructor...Making Chicken Nuggets". Funny back then.

It's hard to give good nick names to multi-mission aircraft. Again with the 60, I always put the 46 vs. the 60 and us the analogy of the old Toyota Landcruiser to the new one. Old Landcruiser (46) was built to do a couple of things very well, the new one (60) is like the soccer mom of cars.....

Maybe we should call the 60 "Minni Van" or something....

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Not meaning to flame on the OP.

I have heard other rotary communities refer to the Prog as

Two palm trees doing obscene acts with a dempsty dumpster ...:):):)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
At the RAG we called it the MH-60S the Chicken Hawk for a little while. One of our IP's (who is now the XO or CO of HSC-22) made a patch with the Chicken Hawk from Fog Horn Leg Horn that said "Chicken Hawk Instructor...Making Chicken Nuggets". Funny back then.

About 99.9% of the inspiration for that was the visions of Foghorn Leghorn patches that were dancing through our heads - that and the prospect of landing with the same number of engines you took off with were the only upsides we saw in the platform. Another brilliant JO idea trod down by The Man.....

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I have heard SuperChicken being thrown around recently in reference to the new NATOPS which is supposed to consolidate all the different H-60 NATOPS into one.