• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Marshals Kill Erratic Passenger in Miami

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A4sForever said:
The greatest problem, to me, with a "security zone" around the people-places in the airport --- outside the present screening areas --- is that you are, in effect, "DISARMED" when coming into and out of the airport. The parking areas are notoriously high crime areas --- up to and including murder, rape, etc. Example ??? The SEATAC parking garage, just for starters ....

I can only wait for the same no-brain, one-size-fits-all, "zero-tolerance" policies (zero-tolerance: I love it ..... it's an excuse for bureaucratic incompetence and the inability to make a decision) to hit the shopping malls of America. Then you will REALLY know what it's like to be in a war zone, alone, unarmed, and unable to protect yourself .... :)

I certainly don't know if this was a "good" shooting, or not --- wasn't there. On the surface, it seems like overzealous and ..... "overkill" ... ??? :)

I most definitely agree

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4sForever said:
This is why the prospect of a loose round in the cabin doesn't keep me awake at night .......

..... ALOHA 243 ... BTW, do you think that THESE pilots rate their pension???

This is why the Air Transportation safety system has the record of safety and reliability that it does - in the end it's a highly trained human being making decisions with decades of experience behind them.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
My point was that this poor guy running down the jet-way there was ZERO chance that he had an explosive device of any kind. The screening system prevents that with absolute certainty.

Sorry, but that's a load of crap. You can ALWAYS defeat something, ALWAYS. Working with computers and electronics for a lot of my educational life, I saw this time and time again. There are always ways to get around something.

In the unlikely, but possible event that he had a bomb (hypothetical as we know he didn't), and he's running DOWN the jetway to the terminal where there are LOTS of people.... are you going to take that chance? Blowing yourself up in an airport terminal like Miami would kill a lot of people. A lot. I wasn't there, but I know I wouldn't mess around. Some lunatic runs off the plane screaming he has a bomb and doesn't respond to challenges by law enforcement. See yah, you're smoked.

Stupid hurts. Sometimes it kills.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
My point was that this poor guy running down the jet-way there was ZERO chance that he had an explosive device of any kind. The screening system prevents that with absolute certainty.

ZERO, now that's a pretty bold statement. Time and time again, during tests, plenty of prohibited items have slipped through the screeners. Its far from foolproof.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Sorry, but that's a load of crap. You can ALWAYS defeat something, ALWAYS. Working with computers and electronics for a lot of my educational life, I saw this time and time again. There are always ways to get around something.

You can't defeat Chuck Norris.:D

/Threadjack

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
not to get off topic, but could someone explain how this works? It would seem to me that there would be a delay between when the window was blown out, and when the pressure system could actually restore local cabin pressure. Clearly this is not the case (as I'm pretty sure that HAL and A4's know what they are talking about), but I'm just curious how the system compensates for this??
Air is drawn into the plane via the air conditioning system. This air pressurizes the plane. How much it pressurizes the plane is dependent upon how much of the air you let back out of the plane. The outflow valves are how the air is let back out of the plane. The DC-10, for example, has 2 outflow valves. One is the size of a front door and the other the size of a single car garage door. When the plane is unpressurized, the outflow valves are completely open. As you climb, you pressurize by slowly modulating these doors closed. At some point, normally the plane's max altitude, both doors will be almost fully closed. They will never be closed completely.

Yes there will be a delay while the electric motor drives the outflow valve closed but I believe that you could probably restore pressure to the cabin except near the max altitude. A window size opening is not that big relative to the outflow valve. Closing the outflow valve to reduce airflow out of the plane from there could probably compensate.

A bullet sized hole would not even be noticed by the pressurization system.

Neither would cause a catastrophic failure of the fuselage.

nkawtg said:
When a pax window blows out there's no way for ANY system to compensate/restore cabin press again. The only thing left to do is an emer descent and hope that everybody on board will keep their hearing abilities.
P ambient will be P cabin within seconds, so time is a factor if you fly at high altitudes. At great heights oxygen is insufficient so everybody needs oxygen from their ox generator to prevent hypoxia.
I disagree. At the planes max altitude this would probably be true, but I think you could stay in the mid flight levels. It would be extremely noisy, windy and cold, but you could regain/control pressurization so the mask would not be needed after the intial event.

I'm not saying its a smart thing to do, but over water you might need to stay higher for fuel reasons.
firefriendly said:
There wouldn't be a catastrophic "explosion" where half the plane is shredded. However, if there was sudden decompression from a hole, depending on size, where the hole was created, and the structure surrounding it...it could potentially rip some things open. There was an accident in the 70s or 80s where a flight attendant was up and about and there was sudden decompression, i think somewhere over hawaii. She plugged the hole for a second then got ripped out. ......

heres one example of what decompression can do http://avstop.com/news/american3.html

and the one i was talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Flight_243
A hole cause by metal fatigue or some other failure of the fuselage would definitely have the potential to expand or rip things open. A bullet hole probably would not or at the most cause very little additional damage.

The American flight you linked too was on the ground and all indications in the cockpit were that the plane had depressurized like it was supposed to after landing. I recently attended some sim training at the AA training academy at DFW. Although not an AA class, my ground school and sim instructors were either AA working a second job or furloughed AA. They discussed this accident during our pressurization systems training, There was a malfunction in both the pressurization system and the indicating system. The plane had a 0.125 psi pressure differential from ambient (which is what most airliners have at landing). The FA was not sucked out. As the FA was opening the door (which swung outward), there was just enough of a pressure differential for the door to "pop" open. The FA did not let go of the door handle as it "pop" open and lost his (her?) balance. With the FA holding on to the handle the doors weight and momentum were enough to pull the FA out of the plane. The FA was killed because he landed on his head. Although not depressurizing completely is not common, FAs have always been trained to not hold onto the door handles of outward for just this reason.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Fly Navy said:
I think that's a reference to putting a bullet hole in the aircraft? That's a fallacy. Pressurization systems can more than compensate for a bullet hole.

Maybe, maybe not. The skin of your typical Boeing is stressed over the frame and stretches/flexes quite a bit over the course of a flight; I'd think that a bullet hole could easily rip and tear into something much larger. Remember that Hawaiian 737 that went convertible a long time ago? There wasn't even a bullet hole to help it along...

Now on the other hand, the plane landed safely and everyone was OK (except that flight attendant who wasn't strapped in at the time...)

(edit for typo)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
This is why the Air Transportation safety system has the record of safety and reliability that it does - in the end it's a highly trained human being making decisions with decades of experience behind them.

Except for highly trained federal law enforcement officers, if we are to believe you?

As to A4s low opinion of many FAMs, I have to disagree to a point. First, my experience with FAMs simply is not as negative as A4s, and I have law engforcement experience as well. Regardless of whether a FAM met everyones expectation of professionalism and readiness, I would very much like a FAM in the cabin AND a FFDO (armed pilot) behind the cockpit door. A FFDO and armored door is a great last line of defense and goes a very long way to ensuring the aircraft cockpit will not be breached and the airplane can be safely landed. But in an actual terrorist hijack attempt, the cabin crew and flight attendants would be cannon fodder. Maybe the aircraft would not be crashed in the SEARs tower, but terrorists could still kill dozens before the plane was landed. So has a FFDO prevented a terrorist event in that case? What about a bomb? So a guy does get a bomb on the plane and he threatens to blow the plane up if the pilot does not open the cockpit door. Again, couple hundred dead including armed pilots. That qualify as a major national terroist event that would make global news? FAMs can deal with those events before an armed pilot knows there is a problem. I would rather a FAM put up a fight to protect my crew and passengers while I got the airplane on the ground. Bottom line, best circumstance (under current laws and regs anyway) is FAMs in the cabin and two FFDOs in the cockpit, just in case.

mike172

GO NAVY
so the scene in the movies where someone shoots out a window and a massive chuck of the fuselage breaks off and they crash and burn dosent actually happen?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:

These FAM's were in my opinion playing loose with their weapons. Simply not complying with the verbal order of a law enforcement officer is not justification to kill - physical constraints, yes, but not lethal force.

I suspect the shooter will have a fair amount of guilt and soul searching to deal with ...

I would not call the airport screening system anywhere near infallible. After Sept 11th Richard Reid was able to smuggle a bomb in his shoe onto a plane in Paris, not a third world country when it comes to security (though apprently he did set off all kinds of 'profile' alerts).

As for the guilt and soul-searching the Air Marshal will go through over this shooting, I would wish that upon no one.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
All that really happens is that evil genius Goldfinger gets sucked out the window (Oddjob in the book) and James Bond lives to fight another day while Pussy Galore saves the Lockheed JetStar by yanking back real hard on the stick. Or, if you're a Bond purist, they ditch by Weathership Charlie off Newfoundland after the crew passes out.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dunedan said:
Maybe, maybe not. The skin of your typical Boeing is stressed over the frame and stretches/flexes quite a bit over the course of a flight; I'd think that a bullet hole could easily rip and tear into something much larger. Remember that Hawaiian 737 that went convertible a long time ago? There wasn't even a bullet hole to help it along...

Now on the other hand, the plane landed safely and everyone was OK (except that flight attendant who wasn't strapped in at the time...)

(edit for typo)

Lot more going on there. There was massive metal fatigue on that aircraft if I remember right. Not your "normal" situation.