• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Marshals Kill Erratic Passenger in Miami

KBayDog

How long until some liberal weenie peacenik says that the air marshal used "exessive force," that the civil rights of a "disordered" individual were violated, etc. etc. etc., and an ACLU-funded investigation is ordered to "protect" our freedom from gun-toting air marshals who operate under "flawed policies" that allow "criminal abuses" of power, all in a government-sponsored attempt to "terrorize" "innocent" people?

(By the way, I'm sure the guy was given MORE than ample opportunity to stop whatever it is he was doing before things got serious...)

rare21

pilot
Contributor
it said there that its the first time since 9/11 that an air marshal shot at someone. I've never heard of that before...didnt even know it happened on 9/11. anyone got any info on this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
it said there that its the first time since 9/11 that an air marshal shot at someone. I've never heard of that before...didnt even know it happened on 9/11. anyone got any info on this?

I think they just had piss-poor writing on that comment. I think they were referring to the increase of Air Marshalls on domestic flights since 9/11. The Air Marshall program is obviously not new, just augmented since 9/11.

Air Marshalls HAVE taken control of aircraft since 9/11 though.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
it didn't happen on 9/11.

The Air Marshall prgram was restructured after 9/11 to make it easier for Air Marshalls to take more decisive action in preventing attacks and subduing passengers who showed signs of posing a threat to the safety of passengers, air crew and the aircraft. This was the first time an Air Marshall fred his/her weapon since the post-9/11 restructuring.

*beat me to it, Fly*

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My experience with Air Marshals has not been particularly reassuring. Their presence on board has never had a "calming" effect ... :)

Secure cockpit doors, armed crew member(s), and proper mental preparation and training in the cockpit will prevent future 9/11's, Air Marshals or not. These would have stopped the original 9/11 as well .......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
My experience with Air Marshals has not been particularly reassuring. Their presence on board has never had a "calming" effect ... :)

Secure cockpit doors, armed crew member(s), and proper mental preparation and training in the cockpit will prevent future 9/11's, Air Marshals or not. These would have stopped the original 9/11 as well .......

There are those that desire to see citizens allowed to CCW on airliners. The logic being that they would be a deterrent. Obviously there are some serious issues with this idea. What is your stance from a pilot's perspective?

KBayDog

A4sForever said:

Tyler Durden would refer to their presence as the "illusion of security at 30,000 feet."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
There are those that desire to see citizens allowed to CCW on airliners. The logic being that they would be a deterrent. Obviously there are some serious issues with this idea. What is your stance from a pilot's perspective?
Naaaaa .... I know too many idiots who have CCW's :)eek: ) and I would not want them "carrying" on the A/C. Too many specialized areas revolving around in the aviation world that don't lend themselves handily to the average land-based CCW holder.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Naaaaa .... I know too many idiots who have CCW's :)eek: ) and I would not want them "carrying" on the A/C. Too many specialized areas revolving around in the aviation world that don't lend themselves handily to the average land-based CCW holder.

I agree. Shooting inside the cabin of an aircraft (read as: high high risk of friendlies getting hit) is hard enough for the experts.... joe-blow CCW would be more of a liability I think.

Cornellianintel

A4sForever said:

Yeah, I'm from the South, I love guns, and I generally believe that every responsible adult should be allowed to carry them. That just sounds insane, though. I know quite a few people with licenses to conceal who, if they were armed, I wouldn't want to share a plane with. I'd just spend the whole flight with the phrase "we're losing cabin pressure" going through my head. I'm curious as to why you don't like the marshall's program? Do you think they've proven themselves incompetent, or just unnecessary. I have an uncle who's a retired federal agent who considered doing it part-time just for money and kicks. It sounded like a decent program.

Best,
cac

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cornellianintel said:
I'd just spend the whole flight with the phrase "we're losing cabin pressure" going through my head.

I think that's a reference to putting a bullet hole in the aircraft? That's a fallacy. Pressurization systems can more than compensate for a bullet hole.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
What about a window? In the unlikelihood that one would shoot out a window. Would the window be able to hold itself together, or would it be sucked out of the aircraft piece by piece? With everyone so close together and all over, there would surely be plenty of near deaf people coming off the plane, that is if it landed safely.

Can't answer the window one, don't know the construction. But yes, gunfire in the cabin of an aircraft would lead many at least temporarily deaf.

But I do agree completely that a license should not be enough to carry in the vicinity of an airport.

Vicinity of an airport? Why? What are you scared of? You going to make an imaginary buffer zone around an airport? That's ludicrous.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Air Marshalls do not carry the standard round that you and I do in our pistols.

IMHO, I'd rather have a trained Air Marshall then a pilot with a sidearm.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
Air Marshalls do not carry the standard round that you and I do in our pistols.

IMHO, I'd rather have a trained Air Marshall then a pilot with a sidearm.

I don't know what a "standard round" is. :icon_tong

If you're referring to military sidearms and ball ammo, yes, they don't carry ball ammo.