• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Marshals Kill Erratic Passenger in Miami

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I don't know what a "standard round" is. :icon_tong

If you're referring to military sidearms and ball ammo, yes, they don't carry ball ammo.

correct, I "think" its a hollow point subsonic round, but don't quote me

whatever it is, its designed to not travel very far nor puncture the fuselage

Cornellianintel

Fly Navy said:
I think that's a reference to putting a bullet hole in the aircraft? That's a fallacy. Pressurization systems can more than compensate for a bullet hole.

Always glad to learn something new.

As for the proposed buffer zone, they do have them around almost all grade schools and secondary schools. It is doable, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Best,
cac

shortncurly

Cornellianintel said:
I have an uncle who's a retired federal agent who considered doing it part-time just for money and kicks. It sounded like a decent program.

My dad, also a retired federal agent, currently is a supervisor for the Federal Air Marshals (FAMs). He wanted an income to supplement his pension (and it is good money), but it's actually a really difficult, time consuming job. All in all he's happy with the program, and would recommend it to any guy coming out of the military -- they're always looking for new FAMs, and hire almost exclusively former military (especially those with weapons/combat experience). He also worked as an actual FAM back when the program originally started (I think it was in the 70s), when they were called "Sky Marshals." Kind of a circle of life thing.

I talked with him earlier tonight, and they're all in a tizzy around the office -- and no wonder. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out....

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Air Marshals use hollow-point, subsonic frangible rounds...won't penetrate a hard target, but will tear the hell out of a fleshy one...the writeup I read was something along the lines of "turning the targets innards into squishy spaghetti...I was checking out a website the other day that was dedicated to the ammo they use, but can't remember what it is...I'll look for it and post if I can find it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Punk said:
IMHO, I'd rather have a trained Air Marshall (sic) then (sic) a pilot with a sidearm.
That's O.K. .... it's your "IMHO" (??) .... but shows how little you know about the Air Marshal (sic) program AND the pilots in commercial aviation. Perhaps when you're out of the Navy and in commercial aviation .... ???? :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cornellianintel said:
......I'm curious as to why you don't like the marshall's program? .....
I can't go into specifics for the obvious reasons .... but about 40% of them are good-to-go and the other 60% are not. It's my opinion .... based on experience. I don't care what ANYONE "in" the program, past or present, says --- as they have an agenda. I don't. I just want to live and complete my flight.

I used to instruct FEDs and local LEO's in firearms training and retention .... many Marshals were "rushed" through. 'Nuff said .... ??? :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ghost119 said:
What about a window? In the unlikelihood that one would shoot out a window. Would the window be able to hold itself together, or would it be sucked out of the aircraft piece by piece?
The outflow valve regulates the cabin pressure on the aircraft. It is far bigger than a window. It would not be catastrophic like the movies always make it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
The outflow valve regulates the cabin pressure on the aircraft. It is far bigger than a window. It would not be catastrophic like the movies always make it.
Absolutely correct, as usual, HAL-man. :)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
A4sForever said:
That's O.K. .... it's your "IMHO" (??) .... but shows how little you know about the Air Marshal (sic) program AND the pilots in commercial aviation. Perhaps when you're out of the Navy and in commercial aviation .... ???? :)

IMHO = In my honest opinion, just to help you out with modern times ;)

and thank you for pointing out my grammatical errors

I'm curious, what firearm training to commercial pilots need to be able to carry these days in the cockpit?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
A4sForever said:

Carry, a sidearm, in the cockpit. It seems you're not thrilled of the idea of Air Marshals carrying yet having a pilot carry is a better idea. I'm just curious to what training a commercial pilot will need to receive to be allowed to strap on a pistol in the cockpit of an airliner?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Punk said:
IMHO = In my honest opinion, just to help you out with modern times ;)

and thank you for pointing out my grammatical errors

I'm curious, what firearm training to commercial pilots need to be able to carry these days in the cockpit?
Dude, even I know this one... THEY CAN'T CARRY!!!

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
eddie said:

I know they can't, they were fighting for this 2 years ago

A4's made it sound like something had changed

glad to know it hasn't

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
eddie said:
Wrong, airlines pilots can complete Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) training and than are deputized as limited jurisdiction Federal Marshals. They carry side arms in the cockpit. The legal authority as a Marshall is limited to the cockpit. FFDOs are not allowed to discuss the training syllabus. There are probably at least a couple of thousand who have entered the FFDO program.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Actually, they can. I'll let A4s fill in the details.

Brett

Edit: Or HAL ;)