• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver thread

So I know this is only my second post and I probably have not earned the "right" to make new threads yet but I do have a few questions that I could not find using the search feature or perusing the other threads. First, I know the normal age limit for SNA/SNFO is 27. If you have prior service it is 29, I believe it is wavierable IF you have prior service. My first question is if there is ANY way that a civilian with no prior service would have any change at all of being an NFO. If it helps my personal situation is that if accepted in the December 2013 boards, I would be in the January 2014 OCS class (graduating in April 2013) so I would miss the commissioning deadline by about 15 days... (very painful, I know). Is there ANY way around this?? (My ASTB scores were 6/7/7; 53 if that helps).

Also I have had different answers on the SWO age limits. From members of AW I have heard it is 29 (for no prior service) but my recruiter is saying 27.

Any others with age limit questions are welcome to post on this thread. I apologize in advance for starting a threat based off questions on my own situation but I did have trouble finding the answers using the search function. Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Here is the program authorization for SWO http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA for SWO.PDF your OR should know this.

NRC goes on stand down about a week prior to Christmas to right after New Years, so pretty much not much happens during that time, usually the results of board in Dec come out then they don't do much until January, realistically people that are pro Y in Dec don't go to OCS until at least Feb.

Thank you for another quick reply. I want to bring this up with my OR but I think its going to be a little awkward. I really want something combat related (I know SWO is not necessarily combat related) as my #1 choice, but right now I have #1 intel, #2, supply, #3 IW, and #4 IP. I would love to put SWO as my #1 and I think I have a strong application for it. I don't want to have to say "I think you might have been wrong on this" to my recruiter because he is a really cool guy and has been in the Navy for a long time, but I really want to apply for SWO. Would it be appropriate for me to send him that document in an email as an attachment? Or possibly just ask him to "make sure" on the SWO age limit? I just went in for my ASTB and met him for the first time today and had a good 2 hour + meeting with him. I would hate to offend him in any way or question his authority/ knowledge on his job as I am just a civilian applying for the first time. Any help in this somewhat uncomfortable situation would be appreciated. I was crushed when I found out I could not do NFO because of age and really hope I can at least get my real # 2 choice (SWO). I mean I'm 26 and 3/4. Not that much of an old fart yet....

exNavyOffRec

Just because a person has been in the USN for a long time does not mean he knows what he is talking about, he might have been an enlisted recruiter and been told to do officer recruiting without any school or training, is he a CPO or PO, or officer?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Just talked to the SWO Officer Community Manager. Confirmed that age limit for the street guy is 29. Go get your SWO on.

exNavyOffRec

Just say you were talking about being on this site and expressing frustration at missing the age cutoff when some people from NPC who know the OCM said it is 29 and sent you the reference.

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Hello, quick question - is it true that the OCS commissioning age limit for non-prior service is 42 for Intel and 29 for Supply?

Thanks.