• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver thread

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
....Unfortunately some recruiters simply have not been informed, or did not know.

Well, unaccustomed as I am to argue with my computer screen, but simply to make sure this site, to the maximum extent possible, does not pass on bad information, unchallenged I would first believe that official website of the Naval Recruiting Command. It clearly states not more that 30 years old not 27. I also note CNRC site was updated within the last few days.

Soooo I would label the information regarding an age reduction to 27 years old for NFO's as bad information.

justins_jet

I don't know if the Navy and AF follow the same rules, but I had a heck of a time getting a correct answer. I basically went as far up as I could to finally get reliable information, and I am now able to apply! yay!!! Here is what was told to me-

For the AF, the rule is: A rated applicant (pilot) must have an application at the board, when it convenes, before they turn 28 and must be in Officers school prior to being 29 and 1 month
this will ensure they are in flight school before they are 30.

So basically for anyone who is pushing it like I am, the board meets april 2nd, so if you have a bachlors, or are within a year of graduating with your bachlors, and your 28th birthday is post the 2nd of April-- Apply now! You must apply while you are 27! if you apply at 28, its too late. I would get in as soon as possible though, because before you meet the board, you have to pass your qualifing tests (AFOQT for the AF) and your PFT.

I hope this helps guys!

Lights

Am i too old?

I just turned 25, and just started college again because i actually want to learn now. Iv been working on my faa certs for the past year but stopped because i heard i makes no difference to the military. I love to fly and would die to fly for the navy, but if i can't i will still get my wings privately and fly in the civilian world. I was wondering if anyone knew somebody that got a late start and made it in right at the age deadline.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When will you finish? Are you prior military? The cut off for non-priors is you have to be commissioned BEFORE your 27th birthday..so if you can graduate and get commissioned by then you should be good. Factor in the month for the selection board for OCS..then the 1-2 month wait for a final select, then the 12 weeks of OCS. (This is all after you have your bachelors degree).

Talk to an Officer Recruiter in your area. Go here and "let the journey begin". ;)

http://www.navy.com/findarecruiter/

Good luck.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I just turned 25, and just started college again because i actually want to learn now. Iv been working on my faa certs for the past year but stopped because i heard i makes no difference to the military. I love to fly and would die to fly for the navy, but if i can't i will still get my wings privately and fly in the civilian world. I was wondering if anyone knew somebody that got a late start and made it in right at the age deadline.
This is a very unique question. Do a search for the love of God. PS-It is a deadline for a reason.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Unless you're going to finish within the next year or so the only option that I can see is enlisting in the guard or reserves so you can become eligible for the waiver. Not that I recommend that. It's just the only option I can see unless you plan on graduating next year.

Jeff29

Science Project
I was in the CEC Collegiate Program (it's basically BDCP), went to OCS, then after about 2 years as a CEC officer got accepted to flight school. I needed an age waiver and they counted the time I was in the BDCP towards that waiver.

Just wondering if someone in Lights situation could apply for aviation through the BDCP program and receive an age waiver based on time in BDCP prior to age 27.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I was in the CEC Collegiate Program (it's basically BDCP), went to OCS, then after about 2 years as a CEC officer got accepted to flight school. I needed an age waiver and they counted the time I was in the BDCP towards that waiver.

Just wondering if someone in Lights situation could apply for aviation through the BDCP program and receive an age waiver based on time in BDCP prior to age 27.

That might work too. Good call.

Lights

a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel

I talked to the XO at the CEC, he wasn't too comfortable giving me advice since i haven't been enlisted and he didnt know anything about the pilots pipeline. But he did give me the direct line to an officer recruiter that is helping me put some stuff together. He mentioned getting letters of recommendation and so did a friend of mine that just got out of the army, my father was a helo pilot in vietnam, and both of my grandfathers were in WWII, one of which flew in the navy. Does anybody have experience getting letters of rec?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I talked to the XO at the CEC, he wasn't too comfortable giving me advice since i haven't been enlisted and he didnt know anything about the pilots pipeline. But he did give me the direct line to an officer recruiter that is helping me put some stuff together. He mentioned getting letters of recommendation and so did a friend of mine that just got out of the army, my father was a helo pilot in vietnam, and both of my grandfathers were in WWII, one of which flew in the navy. Does anybody have experience getting letters of rec?

It is a necessary part of your kit..the LOR's. On 'search' at the top of the tool bar, just type in key words of what you are looking for. Or peruse the "Path's to a commission" , "Navy OCS", and "Questions about becoming a Naval Officer" forums.. there is a wealth of information out there.

People like you and I get better help from the folks on this forum when we ask questions after we had done a fair amount of research. It's all out there, anything you can't find an answer to, call your recruiter or post on here.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Does anybody have experience getting letters of rec?

Give this document to prior employers (from the past 3 years I think), and then whoever else you think would write you some good words. Prior military is always a plus, but not required (I didn't have any). Make it someone that actually knows you well and could mention personal experiences with you. No more than 5 references, no less than 3 is what I was told.

Attachments

• DD370 (Rqst4Refs).pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 38

Lights

i just wanted to thank everyone for their input, iv gotten more information in the past 24 hours than i have in the past year, don't know how i didn't find this sight earlier.

fatathaland

I knew a 27 year old non-prior who received an age waiver, got a guaranteed pilot slot, completed OCS....and is now in flight training.

I guess it's a risk, but it does happen.

Lights

A risk i can handle, beats the hell out of a deffinet no, i feel somewhat better already. Man i wish i started all this 2 years ago.

TailDraggar

How far along are you in your college? I know a former enlisted Navy guy that busted his butt and did four years of college in 2.5 years. Basket weaving was his major, but he accomplished his goal of getting the piece of paper as quickly as possible.

You can make it.