• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Vehicle Operator (7371) Information

Cashworth

Do you know if the ASTB and Top Secret Clearance will be required for this next board in August?
Asking the community managers when the requirement will be posted, they just said to stand by as it takes quite a while for these documents to be approved by the office of the CNP. I know you can take the modified ASTB right now, I asked when I took mine, but still no score requirements. You also don't have to be holding a TS clearance, but to be eligible. So if you're already in, it can be as simple as having your security manager begin the process of processing a TSCI for you prior to applying. I would be trying to get a leg up especially how all of the information was disseminated last cycle, a lot of last second adds and modifications meant that many packages didn't meet minimum requirements or deadlines. Good luck!

Triumph_MAC

Asking the community managers when the requirement will be posted, they just said to stand by as it takes quite a while for these documents to be approved by the office of the CNP. I know you can take the modified ASTB right now, I asked when I took mine, but still no score requirements. You also don't have to be holding a TS clearance, but to be eligible. So if you're already in, it can be as simple as having your security manager begin the process of processing a TSCI for you prior to applying. I would be trying to get a leg up especially how all of the information was disseminated last cycle, a lot of last second adds and modifications meant that many packages didn't meet minimum requirements or deadlines. Good luck!
Is there much difference in the modified version than on the regular ASTB-E?

I haven't seen anything that says the 'old system' has changed at all, with WO1's only having a 'warrant' from the service secretary and Chief Warrant Officers receiving a commission just like 'regular' officers. The unique cover insignia for the WO1's in the pic is a good indication they aren't commissioned like their CWO2-5 colleagues, who wear the same cap device as O-1 to O-11's. The WO1 rank has long been dormant in the Navy, only the Marines and Army used it for a very long time, so that is why most folks are unfamiliar with the nuances.
They do still get promoted to CWO2-5 though correct? I'm not too familiar with how it works either

exNavyOffRec

They do still get promoted to CWO2-5 though correct? I'm not too familiar with how it works either
Per SECNAVINST 1412.8c

d. Each WO1 on the Warrant Officer ADL shall be appointed to
the grade of CWO2 by commission by the President having been
found all-fully-qualified for promotion upon completion of a
minimum of 36 (maximum of 72) months of service in grade and
having completed 12 years of total active service. A promotion
selection board is not required.

Per SECNAVINST 1412.8c

d. Each WO1 on the Warrant Officer ADL shall be appointed to
the grade of CWO2 by commission by the President having been
found all-fully-qualified for promotion upon completion of a
minimum of 36 (maximum of 72) months of service in grade and
having completed 12 years of total active service. A promotion
selection board is not required.
That's really interesting that its 3 years min, but it makes sense. Kind of like E-6 to E-7 is 3 years min.

villo0692

How would that work for someone who’s an initial accession for WO1? Out of all the AVOs who graduated from OCS recently, one of them is new to the Navy

Cashworth

Yes they do, they have not released the official promotion timelines, but there have been unofficial timelines listed below gathered from other LDOs:
WO1-CWO2: 3
CWO2-CWO3: 4
CWO3-CWO4: 5
CWO4-CWO5: 6

This means that if any AVOs wish to promote to CWO5, they will serve at least 18 years in their respective fields, but selection to CWO4/5 will fall in line with the historic "best and fully qualified" listed within SECNAVINST 1412.8C.

exNavyOffRec

Yes they do, they have not released the official promotion timelines, but there have been unofficial timelines listed below gathered from other LDOs:
WO1-CWO2: 3
CWO2-CWO3: 4
CWO3-CWO4: 5
CWO4-CWO5: 6

This means that if any AVOs wish to promote to CWO5, they will serve at least 18 years in their respective fields, but selection to CWO4/5 will fall in line with the historic "best and fully qualified" listed within SECNAVINST 1412.8C.
It does look like they will need to adjust a few things since currently it does say 12 years TAS.

The current SECNAVINST list only 3 years between CWO2 to CWO3 and from CWO3 to CWO4 so it looks like time reductions were made.

Ordie

Does anyone happen to know what the "flight training" entails for AVO? I'm unable to find an official training pipeline for the program.

Cashworth

Does anyone happen to know what the "flight training" entails for AVO? I'm unable to find an official training pipeline for the program.
Their training pipeline closely follows that of a NFO from what I have been told from flight instructors here at NAS Pensacola. I have one of the AVOs living around the corner from me, so I will ask him what his training is like.

brhartlaub

Their training pipeline closely follows that of a NFO from what I have been told from flight instructors here at NAS Pensacola. I have one of the AVOs living around the corner from me, so I will ask him what his training is like.
When you see them would you mind asking if they will share their contact info?