• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerial Vehicle Operator (7371) Information

Triumph_MAC

This gives good insight. Thank you for posting. Not Aircrew but maybe my FMF time will help my package.
This should give you at least a start in answering that question, of the five new AVO WO1's with visible decorations and qual pins showing a definite preference for prior enlisted with a decent amount of service (at least 6-12 years from what I can see) and aviation experience, with 3 of 5 being aircrew.

View attachment 34495

Interesting to see the WO cap device that isn't in a history book, stumped my fellow militaria nerd here at work when I asked him if he knew what it was.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Interesting to see them go through regular OCS. I think that's the right move vs Mustang U. I'm too lazy to google. Did the Navy's previous failed attempt at Flying WOs have them go through OCS or Mustang U?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This should give you at least a start in answering that question, of the five new AVO WO1's with visible decorations and qual pins showing a definite preference for prior enlisted with a decent amount of service (at least 6-12 years from what I can see) and aviation experience, with 3 of 5 being aircrew.

Interesting to see the WO cap device that isn't in a history book, stumped my fellow militaria nerd here at work when I asked him if he knew what it was.
This is awesome! This is the first time I've ever seen that cap device. Here's what I found:

"Prior to 1949, Warrant Officers in the Navy were divided into two categories, Chief Warrant Officers and Warrant Officers, with the crucial difference being that the latter were appointed to their rank while the former were commissioned in essentially the same manner as regular Officers. Consequently, Officers and Chief Warrants were authorized to wear the same cap devices, while Warrant Officers were given their own cap device, a system that continued after two additional grades of Warrant Officer were created through the Career Compensation of 1949.

The original design of the Warrant Officer 1 cap device was two crossed gold fouled anchors, with the unfouled arm of each stock pointing inward and manufactured so the insignia would fit inside a circle measuring 1 7/8-inches in diameter. The size of the device was increased in the 1951 edition of the U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations, which specified it should fit within a circle with a diameter of 2.25 inches.
"

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Call me dumb on this topic, but in today's Navy, is WO-1 "Chief Warrant Officer" or just "Warrant Officer" as described above?

brhartlaub

Just to follow up with the latest information that will be addressed throughout the lifespan of the program, the Organization Community Managers (OCMs) held a Q&A session on 14 September and addressed questions posed by members of the Facebook group. I was able to pose a question as to what lessons were learned from this first selection board for the AVO program, and what changes will be made for future application cycles. Listed below were some highlights:
  • Approximately 95% of applicants did not meet the minimum requirements listed in PA-106A.
  • Only age waivers were approved for the cycle due to the competitive nature of the program, ASVAB and Education waivers were denied en masse.
  • PA-106A will be updated to reflect new changes regarding the program application to add verbiage to clarify the Education requirements. The ASTB will be required for future applications, but no guidance on the scores or required test portions has been released (OAR, FPFAR, or PFAR).
  • Top Secret clearance will be required, so applicants must be prescreened. If active duty, start the process ahead of time to get ahead of the game.

One more information is released (PA-106A updates and OPNAV 1420.1 Revision C) I will update this group. All information was retrieved from Mr. Paul Celestine (N31) and Capt. Wood / CWO5 Sandoval from the LDO/CWO OCM corner.
Do you know if the ASTB and Top Secret Clearance will be required for this next board in August?

villo0692

Call me dumb on this topic, but in today's Navy, is WO-1 "Chief Warrant Officer" or just "Warrant Officer" as described above?
W1 is only called warrant officer 1

I commissioned with all of them, and yeah most of them are priors and all of said priors have some sort of aviation warfare qualification. One of them tho is straight from the streets. FWIW this civilian accession had a Bachelor’s degree, not only the Associate’s that the instruction puts down as a requirement

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Education is part of the competitive profile. I expect that due to high numbers of applications a Bachelor's degrees will be min competitive, especially off the street. Warrant Army pilots are coming from CIVLANT without a degree are rare.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In the navy they shouldn’t be called “chiefs” as they are in the army. I believe “Mr.” is the coverall title.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
In the navy they shouldn’t be called “chiefs” as they are in the army. I believe “Mr.” is the coverall title.

We have a couple of maintenance CWOs in my squadron and they usually will introduce themselves as "Warrant xxxx" in formal settings. Obviously when talking to other officers first names or callsigns are fair game.

exNavyOffRec

One of my friends is a retired Army WO, in Iraq she had a det of USN sailors working for her on the CIWS on trucks program, the sailors loved to say "hey Chief" when her and the CPO were talking just to make her turn around, then they would laugh.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I usually just refer to them as "Warrant" as Hopeful Hoya mentioned, but officially what is their title and is there a distinction between WO-1 and WO-2+ in terms of "Chief Warrant Officer" and "Warrant Officer?" FWIW, I am pretty sure that "Mr." is an acceptable greeting or title for anyone O-3 and below according to the Blue Jacket's Manual or the Division Officer's Guide (I know I read that somewhere!).

FWIW, Wikipedia does make the distinction between Warrant Officer-1 and Chief Warrant Officer-2+ but I hesitate to use that as the source.
We have a couple of maintenance CWOs in my squadron and they usually will introduce themselves as "Warrant xxxx" in formal settings. Obviously when talking to other officers first names or callsigns are fair game.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I usually just refer to them as "Warrant" as Hopeful Hoya mentioned, but officially what is their title and is there a distinction between WO-1 and WO-2+ in terms of "Chief Warrant Officer" and "Warrant Officer?" FWIW, I am pretty sure that "Mr." is an acceptable greeting or title for anyone O-3 and below according to the Blue Jacket's Manual or the Division Officer's Guide (I know I read that somewhere!).

FWIW, Wikipedia does make the distinction between Warrant Officer-1 and Chief Warrant Officer-2+ but I hesitate to use that as the source.
The old system used to be that a WO-1 simply had a “warrant” issued by the service while a CWO had a “commission” issued by the president. When I first enlisted they were officially called Commissioned Warrant Officer and using the word “chief” was specific to army pilots. Not sure if it remains the same.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The old system used to be that a WO-1 simply had a “warrant” issued by the service while a CWO had a “commission” issued by the president. When I first enlisted they were officially called Commissioned Warrant Officer and using the word “chief” was specific to army pilots. Not sure if it remains the same.

I haven't seen anything that says the 'old system' has changed at all, with WO1's only having a 'warrant' from the service secretary and Chief Warrant Officers receiving a commission just like 'regular' officers. The unique cover insignia for the WO1's in the pic is a good indication they aren't commissioned like their CWO2-5 colleagues, who wear the same cap device as O-1 to O-11's. The WO1 rank has long been dormant in the Navy, only the Marines and Army used it for a very long time, so that is why most folks are unfamiliar with the nuances.