• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active shooter at NAS Pensacola

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I've been in for over ten years; not once have I been asked if I had a weapon or had my vehicle searched (one exception, at Meridian they asked me to open up the back of a U-Haul truck; obviously didn't actually search it). I'm sure some bases are different than others, but I've been at quite a few. Nothing is stopping the next event. Would be nice if we had a chance to defend ourselves from it though.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I've been in for over ten years; not once have I been asked if I had a weapon or had my vehicle searched (one exception, at Meridian they asked me to open up the back of a U-Haul truck; obviously didn't actually search it). I'm sure some bases are different than others, but I've been at quite a few. Nothing is stopping the next event. Would be nice if we had a chance to defend ourselves from it though.
NAS Lemoore was doing random vehicle searches last week when I was there for travel. Probably won't last long though.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
NASP, Whiting, Meridian, Corpus, Norfolk, Pt Mugu, and back at NASP. Never been asked if I had a gun. They take the ID, salute, and on I go. If you can't remember when you haven't been asked that then we live in two different worlds :). Might be the Berenstein Bears effect

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Random vehicle searches were pretty common at the bases in Jax as late as 2018. The commercial gate at Jax seemed to have a higher percentage of inspections. What I could never figure out was why "they" would search cars leaving base (both Mayport and Jax) at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Sleep tight, America.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Navy Region Southeast (or whatever it is) mandated that question. That was the second part to that answer I mentioned previously. As a result, it's not asked on every base... but it was asked every single time I went through the gate at NASWF during my IP tour. Only had my vehicle searched once, was asked a second time but talked the guy out of it ("really man? I have a screaming kid back there [note: screaming kid was real and really screaming] and a doctor's appointment in 15 minutes for her. You gonna answer when my command gets the nasty gram about missing a medical appointment?"). I seem to recall having my car searched at Annapolis in the past as well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FWIW...only 26 years, because I had a break in service. And, like most on this forum, it all started at the API building at NAS Pensacola.

Break in service or not, you were still doing this when I was a young kid (I was almost 11 years old 26 years ago :) ). Sounds like you were probably also doing it in 1991, when I was glued to CNN in grade school, watching navy jets fly off into the night in afterburner.

Staceydemick

You're right, Nittany. My timing was in poor taste. I just noticed it that's all.

Edit: While the timing isn't great, this appears to be a JG with enough time under her missing belt to rate 7 ribbons. That's at a minimum 2 years of active duty to learn how to wear your shit. End edit

I hope all our AW brethren are okay tonight.
That seven ribbon show has to be a fake - we don’t even have to tuck it in nowadays- we all have a duty to remain vigilant and to help observe and report anyone who seems out of place

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Marines aren’t receiving some elite level of training to be authorized to carry a pistol either. I’m not sure how the course of fire varies (if it does) as I’ve never seen the Navy version. No one is expecting the watch standers to spring into action with buddy rushes to repel an assault. It’s a deterrent, and often any deterrent is enough.

None of these shooters intend on coming out alive. They're just trying to achieve as high kill count as possible before they get killed. Moreover, they're familiar with the training that armed watchstanders get (or don't get), so if that training isn't robust then it's going to have no effect on the type of active shooters we're trying to prevent.

There is no Navy 'course of fire.' We shoot a few dozen rounds at a piece of paper every 6-8 months.

What I really don’t understand is your previous post about being too worried about an armed sailor killing himself to arm him. You proposed outsourcing that job to Marines, or continuing to outsource it to rent-a-cops and Navy security. What traits do Marines and base security possess that make them ok to carry weapons without killing themselves? If someone wants to kill themselves there are lots of ways to do it. Using the fear of a suicide to instill fear of arms in an armed service is absurd

The reason I brought up outsourcing is the assumption that base police and Marines are better trained to handle this sort of duty, so the risk of suicide is outweighed by someone who actually knows what to do to stop someone if an active shooter incident occurs. Your response indicates that my assumption was wrong on the Marine end, so base police it is.