• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aced the ASTB, what next?

cgross220

Hey everyone,

First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted and commented on here. As someone that's wanted to become a fighter pilot all my life, I've looked over this site for years and taken in invaluable information that has undoubtedly aided in my process this far and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Now a bit to my current situation and my question. I'm 25, about to graduate with a BS in Industrial Technology from my school's college of engineering, 3.94 GPA, Honor Society, President's list, Dean's list, etc. I am, however, graduating a bit later than most as after one year in school when I was 18/19, I made pretty poor grades and simply wasn't mature enough for school at the time so spent the past few years working as a firefighter (including two years deployed overseas as a civilian contractor/firefighter and EMT) before returning to online classes full time while continuing working as a firefighter. When adding in my poor grades from that year (only a couple of classes transferred) my GPA is just north of 3.5. I also have my private pilot's license, but only have ~70 hours currently (though I just joined a flying club and am hoping to boost that significantly in the coming months). I finally began the process of applying for flight slots with my Navy recruiter recently, and took my ASTB yesterday. I studied hard and almost couldn't believe it but I ended up with a 9/9/9. My recruiter seemed very confident after seeing those scores and essentially said that unless anything crazy pops up I should have no problem getting a slot and scheduled me for MEPS on Monday 2/8.

Now that's where a bit of the issue comes in, as my vision doesn't meet the 20/40 uncorrected requirement. I had always been told to hold off on Lasik, as "the military will pay for that", but as I have now learned that does not apply to the Navy if you are an SNA candidate. My recruiter still wants me to go to MEPS, just to get their word, but I'm now banking on that 6 month waiting period after the surgery until I can officially submit my packet.

Am I correct in my understanding of the vision requirements? I meet the 20/100 requirement of a Class 1 physical, but my interpretation of what I've read is that SNA has stricter requirements to get accepted. Is there anything else I should be worried about that would keep me from getting a slot? What else can I be doing in these next 6 months to eliminate any further concerns of me getting a slot? I understand there's a large element of "who's the competition?" and "what are the Navy's demands?" but I want to give myself the best shot possible.

Thanks again for everyone active on here, y'all have been a huge help. And thanks in advance for the responses
Caleb

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Good job on the scores. I think you answered your own question, and your OR is right. Get through MEPS and then reevaluate after MEPS but it's a little early to say "What's next?". Just keep pressing forward. If you're referring to a First Class FAA medical for the 20/100 vision, that's different than a military flight physical. You're 25, waiting 6 months and going through Lasik may be your only option but you've got time. MEPS will most likely DQ you if you don't meet the vision requirement but as to what to do if you go the surgery route:

Get involved in the community, extra curricular activities, flight hours etc., show leadership on your application. Honor Society, President's List, Dean's List are great and often go hand in hand but they don't speak to your ability to lead people or produce results in a team environment.

Maybe the requirements for NFO are different if you're still wanting something similar.

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone,

First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted and commented on here. As someone that's wanted to become a fighter pilot all my life, I've looked over this site for years and taken in invaluable information that has undoubtedly aided in my process this far and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Now a bit to my current situation and my question. I'm 25, about to graduate with a BS in Industrial Technology from my school's college of engineering, 3.94 GPA, Honor Society, President's list, Dean's list, etc. I am, however, graduating a bit later than most as after one year in school when I was 18/19, I made pretty poor grades and simply wasn't mature enough for school at the time so spent the past few years working as a firefighter (including two years deployed overseas as a civilian contractor/firefighter and EMT) before returning to online classes full time while continuing working as a firefighter. When adding in my poor grades from that year (only a couple of classes transferred) my GPA is just north of 3.5. I also have my private pilot's license, but only have ~70 hours currently (though I just joined a flying club and am hoping to boost that significantly in the coming months). I finally began the process of applying for flight slots with my Navy recruiter recently, and took my ASTB yesterday. I studied hard and almost couldn't believe it but I ended up with a 9/9/9. My recruiter seemed very confident after seeing those scores and essentially said that unless anything crazy pops up I should have no problem getting a slot and scheduled me for MEPS on Monday 2/8.

Now that's where a bit of the issue comes in, as my vision doesn't meet the 20/40 uncorrected requirement. I had always been told to hold off on Lasik, as "the military will pay for that", but as I have now learned that does not apply to the Navy if you are an SNA candidate. My recruiter still wants me to go to MEPS, just to get their word, but I'm now banking on that 6 month waiting period after the surgery until I can officially submit my packet.

Am I correct in my understanding of the vision requirements? I meet the 20/100 requirement of a Class 1 physical, but my interpretation of what I've read is that SNA has stricter requirements to get accepted. Is there anything else I should be worried about that would keep me from getting a slot? What else can I be doing in these next 6 months to eliminate any further concerns of me getting a slot? I understand there's a large element of "who's the competition?" and "what are the Navy's demands?" but I want to give myself the best shot possible.

Thanks again for everyone active on here, y'all have been a huge help. And thanks in advance for the responses
Caleb
If you desire to be a SNA you would need to get your vision corrected via surgery.

cgross220

Get involved in the community, extra curricular activities, flight hours etc., show leadership on your application. Honor Society, President's List, Dean's List are great and often go hand in hand but they don't speak to your ability to lead people or produce results in a team environment.

Maybe the requirements for NFO are different if you're still wanting something similar.

Good point on the leadership aspects. I have a good bit of leadership experience in high school between CAP and sports captain spots, and a bit within the fire service in my professional career but definitely wouldn't mind adding some things to that resume. Not sure what I can get into in 6 months though but I'll start looking.

If you desire to be a SNA you would need to get your vision corrected via surgery.

That's what I was afraid of, but I guess I'm young enough I can afford another 6 months wait.

Find someone to high five and drink a beer!

Don't have to tell me twice!!

Astro_Rekt

That's what I was afraid of, but I guess I'm young enough I can afford another 6 months wait.

Try to get out of this mindset. 6 months is not a long time, and you can either get LASIK, wait that long, and be selected for SNA, or put in your package, be selected, and be told you're an SNFO once you show up at OCS. I saw it happen.

cgross220

Try to get out of this mindset. 6 months is not a long time, and you can either get LASIK, wait that long, and be selected for SNA, or put in your package, be selected, and be told you're an SNFO once you show up at OCS. I saw it happen.

What mindset? I'm eager to fly but ok waiting 6 months, as I said. I'm extremely grateful to be in the position that I am at the time that I am and have already had consults with LASIK surgeons to begin that process. I'm just excited to be this close to something I've wanted for so long.

luckynumbr27

What mindset? I'm eager to fly but ok waiting 6 months, as I said. I'm extremely grateful to be in the position that I am at the time that I am and have already had consults with LASIK surgeons to begin that process. I'm just excited to be this close to something I've wanted for so long.
I’m in the middle of your exact scenario but I had better pre-op vision and have already had the surgery. Keep copies of every single shred of paper from your eye surgeon, specifically your preoperative vision metrics. Also, make darn sure you hit your 1 week, 30 day, and 90 day post-op checkup appointments and get all documents from those too. Print out a copy of section 12.15 of the link below and take it with you to your surgeon so he can see exactly what parameters the Navy is looking for as far as OD/OS spherical, cylindrical, and axial and then set up all the documentation thusly. I can’t stress that enough, MEPS will pick at all of your paper work with a fine toothed comb and can prevent you from going to MEPS nearly indefinitely if they dont think you have enough paperwork on your surgery. I first contacted a recruiter back in October and knocked out every bullet point in the checklist for an SNA package in the first week including ASTB but I am just now getting to go to MEPS next week. That’s a four months layover and a missed board because my doc didn’t have the paperwork setup like they wanted it with clearly understandable metrics that they were looking for.
Also, understand that if your pre-op vision does not meet the requirement, you might get DQ’d by meps but it’s not the end of the road. Your OR will have to submit a waiver to big Navy, but from what I understand, vision waivers are looked at more favorably than others.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I’m in the middle of your exact scenario but I had better pre-op vision and have already had the surgery. Keep copies of every single shred of paper from your eye surgeon. Print out a copy of section 12.15 of the link below and take it with you to your surgeon so he can see exactly what parameters the Navy is looking for as far as OD/OS spherical, cylindrical, and axial and then set up all the documentation thusly. I can’t stress that enough, MEPS will pick at all of your paper work with a fine toothed comb and can prevent you from going to MEPS nearly indefinitely if they dont think you have enough paperwork on your surgery. I first contacted a recruiter back in October and knocked out every bullet point in the checklist for an SNA package in the first week including ASTB but I am just now getting to go to MEPS next week. That’s a four months layover and a missed board because my doc didn’t have the paperwork setup like they wanted it with clearly understandable metrics that they were looking for.
Also, understand that if your pre-op vision does not meet the requirement, you might get DQ’d by meps but it’s not the end of the road. Your OR will have to submit a waiver to big Navy, but from what I understand, vision waivers are looked at more favorably than others.

the NAMI waiver guide applies after you have been cleared by N3M which used the Navy Medical Manual, that is what will be used to determine if you get to go to OCS, NAMI uses the NAMI waiver guide to give or not give people the NAMI whammy.

spot on for the pre-op vision and to add to it they look at diopters, I have seen people given waivers for pre-op vision being out of max for pre-op vision, but they were all sub nukes.

luckynumbr27

the NAMI waiver guide applies after you have been cleared by N3M which used the Navy Medical Manual, that is what will be used to determine if you get to go to OCS, NAMI uses the NAMI waiver guide to give or not give people the NAMI whammy.

spot on for the pre-op vision and to add to it they look at diopters, I have seen people given waivers for pre-op vision being out of max for pre-op vision, but they were all sub nukes.
Yes diopters too, sorry, felt like I was missing something.

cgross220

I’m in the middle of your exact scenario but I had better pre-op vision and have already had the surgery. Keep copies of every single shred of paper from your eye surgeon, specifically your preoperative vision metrics. Also, make darn sure you hit your 1 week, 30 day, and 90 day post-op checkup appointments and get all documents from those too. Print out a copy of section 12.15 of the link below and take it with you to your surgeon so he can see exactly what parameters the Navy is looking for as far as OD/OS spherical, cylindrical, and axial and then set up all the documentation thusly. I can’t stress that enough, MEPS will pick at all of your paper work with a fine toothed comb and can prevent you from going to MEPS nearly indefinitely if they dont think you have enough paperwork on your surgery. I first contacted a recruiter back in October and knocked out every bullet point in the checklist for an SNA package in the first week including ASTB but I am just now getting to go to MEPS next week. That’s a four months layover and a missed board because my doc didn’t have the paperwork setup like they wanted it with clearly understandable metrics that they were looking for.

I appreciate all the information. My recruiter still wanted me to go to MEPS this week even knowing I'm going to fail so I'm just going to use it to get as much information as I can from the docs. I've looked at the waiver stuff but never saw anything about pre-op requirements, what exactly are they? My eyes aren't bad, in fact I'm pretty sure I just qualify for the Class 1 standards (without the SNA additions) with about 20/40 right eye and 20/100 left (my diopter is -0.75 right -1.50 left). The surgeon I talked to also said I'm a perfect candidate for PRK but not a great candidate for Lasik as my corneas are something like 10 micrometers thinner than they need to be, but from what I've read PRK does still qualify for the waiver.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate all the information. My recruiter still wanted me to go to MEPS this week even knowing I'm going to fail so I'm just going to use it to get as much information as I can from the docs. I've looked at the waiver stuff but never saw anything about pre-op requirements, what exactly are they? My eyes aren't bad, in fact I'm pretty sure I just qualify for the Class 1 standards (without the SNA additions) with about 20/40 right eye and 20/100 left (my diopter is -0.75 right -1.50 left). The surgeon I talked to also said I'm a perfect candidate for PRK but not a great candidate for Lasik as my corneas are something like 10 micrometers thinner than they need to be, but from what I've read PRK does still qualify for the waiver.

The max pre op diopters is either 6 or 8 so you are fine, he might want you to go to MEPS so that you don't need to have MEPS review the surgery med docs.

cgross220

The max pre op diopters is either 6 or 8 so you are fine, he might want you to go to MEPS so that you don't need to have MEPS review the surgery med docs.

Ok good know. I knew I'd need all the paperwork from the surgery but didn't know to what extent so I really appreciate all the info. I'm definitely going to try and pic the brains of the MEPS doctors as much as possible to ensure I have everything locked down in 6 months

exNavyOffRec

Ok good know. I knew I'd need all the paperwork from the surgery but didn't know to what extent so I really appreciate all the info. I'm definitely going to try and pic the brains of the MEPS doctors as much as possible to ensure I have everything locked down in 6 months
MEPS docs won't have anything to do with, it will go right to N3M