• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
@Hopeful Hoya how was your experience with the anthros? Did you see a lot of your class get Whammied from it? At 6'4" this is the one area that has me extremely worried.

As others have said, there is a thread on it. I'm 6'2" but have a large torso and short legs, so I got whammied for it (sitting height = measurement sitting down from butt in chair to top of head). For reference, I wear a 34" inseam for trouser size. On the other hand, you can get whammied for having legs that are too long, or more specifically, a back of butt to knee measurement that is too long. I went on to be an intel officer, and known at least three F-18 guys off hand who are taller than me and were worried about anthros, although one found out that he should have been NAMI whammied when he was being remeasured at Test Pilot School several years later. Some people get lucky and fall through the cracks.

I know two other intel officers who had the opposite problem where their arms were too short. That measurement is doing something that looks like a nazi salute and measuring from your shoulder against the wall to your thumb tip.

raven1

As others have said, there is a thread on it. I'm 6'2" but have a large torso and short legs, so I got whammied for it (sitting height = measurement sitting down from butt in chair to top of head). For reference, I wear a 34" inseam for trouser size. On the other hand, you can get whammied for having legs that are too long, or more specifically, a back of butt to knee measurement that is too long. I went on to be an intel officer, and known at least three F-18 guys off hand who are taller than me and were worried about anthros, although one found out that he should have been NAMI whammied when he was being remeasured at Test Pilot School several years later. Some people get lucky and fall through the cracks.

I know two other intel officers who had the opposite problem where their arms were too short. That measurement is doing something that looks like a nazi salute and measuring from your shoulder against the wall to your thumb tip.
What is intel like? If I get NPQ'd for anthros I'd like to try and switch to it. I've heard people say its all powerpoint and I've also heard other say you get to do some pretty cool things.

Also when you say short arms how often does that happen? My recruiter measured me and when they measured my arm length and said I was in the clear but they treated it like I was in a harness (essentially that my torso was constrained to the wall but I was allowed to reach as far forward as I could with my shoulderblades still against the wall). Or do they push your shoulder into the wall where your socket is touching as well?

SemperFiDay

Was your grad date delayed or were you given the option to redesignate right away?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
What is intel like? If I get NPQ'd for anthros I'd like to try and switch to it. I've heard people say its all powerpoint and I've also heard other say you get to do some pretty cool things.

Also when you say short arms how often does that happen? My recruiter measured me and when they measured my arm length and said I was in the clear but they treated it like I was in a harness (essentially that my torso was constrained to the wall but I was allowed to reach as far forward as I could with my shoulderblades still against the wall). Or do they push your shoulder into the wall where your socket is touching as well?

I don't remember exactly how that part of the anthro test goes since it was almost four years ago and that detail wasn't a problem for me. But having you pinned back was probably the correct way to do it.

You can search around for some of my other posts on intel (along with LET73's posts) since we're the resident nerd-wings wearers here. I like it a lot, others don't. Some jobs are cool, some are powerpoint ranger work. I can tell you right now you probably aren't going to be going on raids with SEALs, being James Bond, etc etc. My biggest complaint is that our career path gives us more staff time than our brothers in ops, which means that we spend too much time taking care of admirals and doing staff reindeer games than leading sailors or helping the guys in the fight do their jobs directly.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Antro measurements aren't required for submission now...

raven1

Antro measurements aren't required for submission now...
No, but there have been so many people failing the flight physical for anthros in my area they wanted to be sure I guess. It wasn't an official measurement more of a ballpark deal based on a document from 2006.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
What was your original starting class number and how many people DORed and or got DQ? I am a bit worried, thank you Hoya and congratulations graduating!

What was your original starting class number and how many people DORed and or got DQ? I am a bit worried, thank you Hoya and congratulations graduating!

Average seems to be 4-8 DORs a class. Maybe 1 in 10 pilots eat the npq. Both numbers vary though by company. We had one company with zero and another company that ate like 10 DORs because for a while their atmosphere was so bad.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

Don't know the exact number off hand but I count at least 1 redes to NFO and 5 who DOR'd or redesignated to something outside of aviation. Several are still in limbo awaiting a final go/no-go from NAMI.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the flight physical, since there's literally nothing you can do before hand to know for sure. It sucks and yes you'll stress about it but just try to be as prepared for the things within your control: be in-shape as possible, know all the Appendix B knowledge, and be mentally prepared.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

For my company, we started with 44/45, and ended with 39, with 4ish rolling in...3 rolled out to H....so that would make for about 3 DORs. I'm pretty sure only one or two of our DORs were post-poopy suit phase.

We had 10x SNA and 10x SNFO left standing by candio phase. Here's how that went:

SNA:
Lost me to anthros (went intel)
Lost one dude to a heart issue (went CEC...very rare)
Lost one to some old injury or surgery not getting waivered (now supply)
Lost one guy to bad navy medical decisions (I've mentioned this elsewhere if you're really curious....he didn't commission)

We didn't have anyone get pulled into SWO-ville, but the other classes around our time definitely did.

Of the "survivors" one is now in the F-18 rag, one is in the Growler rag, and I'm pretty sure the rest are all flying in VP land.

SNFO:
No NAMI whammies!
Had at least 2x DOR in P-Cola and get out of the Navy.
One had a mishap after landing a plane in IFS and apparently handled the board/investigation pretty badly (something like "Well, John Glenn (or was it Neil Armstrong?) crashed his first plane too!") He's not in the Navy anymore.
No jet guys, all in E-6 or VP.

Our sister company lost one or two guys, went SWO.

Just for good measure, all three of our BUD/S guys got hurt or rang the bell. Same for our sister company, so that was 0 for 6. Shame because one of them was definitely one of the most solid dudes in the class, easily.

Note: the "what are my odds?" is not predictable still applies. I just got carried away telling the story.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
We started with somewhere around 46, had 1 DOR (for a DQ) and several roll out and roll in, but everyone else that started in aviation got to stay... which is pretty rare. We watched subsequent classes DOR with a much more usual rate (that is, about 5-6 per company, so a two company class might have double-digit DORs) and it boggled our minds.

Allan H

I had a quick question about the prior enlisted. I've been in for 10 years and already have certain uniform items (parka, gloves, etc.) that are still in perfect condition. If I bring these items with me, will I still be required to purchase these things? If so, I just won't bring them with me and I'll give them to my guys. If I don't have to purchase them, how do I let them know during uniform acquisition?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Definitely bring them with you, at some point the first few days your RDCs will inspect all of the Priors' uniform items and if they're good to go they won't make you purchase them (the RDCs will be at the uniform shop with you when your class goes).