• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Are they going to bring back 1x DI per company vice 1x per class, or is that issue more of a manning problem than a toughening/weakening of OCS problem?

Nope, and in fact it is going the other way: you now start with two RDCs but then go down to one after RLP. Believe me having only one RDC and DI per class definitely does not make it any less tough lol.

Last edited:

hewdawg83

As an active duty enlisted, how many spares of ribbons and devices should I plan to take to prepare for inspections? Am I authorized to wearing anything I've had mounted i.e the low profile (flat) ribbons?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
As an active duty enlisted, how many spares of ribbons and devices should I plan to take to prepare for inspections? Am I authorized to wearing anything I've had mounted i.e the low profile (flat) ribbons?

I'm not a prior so I'm not 100% sure. You need ribbons for everyday wear with your khakis, plus 8th week inspection and the pre-grad reception, and medals for 9th week PI plus Graduation. So maybe have a rack of ribbons for everyday wear and a second set in reserve for inspections, plus a set of medals/ribbons for 9th week and Graduation? Thin/flat medals are authorized, and my class SCPO actively encouraged our Priors to order those if they needed new racks.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What about the issuance of demerits and EMI (extra military instruction)? Still in place?

Also, what about 'peer smears' (peer evaluations)...where each candidate lists who he/she believes are the top 3 prospective Naval Officers and the bottom 3 prospective Naval Officers in his/her class? Still in place? This evolution took place during AOCS in 1986 about 1 week prior to commissioning...and one AOC from our class was attrited for basically not being a team player.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
What about the issuance of demerits and EMI (extra military instruction)? Still in place?

Also, what about 'peer smears' (peer evaluations)...where each candidate lists who he/she believes are the top 3 prospective Naval Officers and the bottom 3 prospective Naval Officers in his/her class? Still in place? This evolution took place during AOCS in 1986 about 1 week prior to commissioning...and one AOC from our class was attrited for basically not being a team player.

Demerits are still there, and the only way to work them off is with a 10 minute RPT session with a DI/RDC (10 minutes = 1 demerit served).

They were just beginning the process of bringing back peer evals when I was a Candio so I don't have a lot of insight into how it works, but I believe it is something similar regarding the ranking.

Jad4400

Hoya, great gouge, really appreciate the advice.

Random question, but for undergarments, would boxers like this be okay? My survival guide and some ensigns at my district mentioned that boxers we okay, but a lot of packing lists seems to say briefs only. I just wanted to make sure.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hoya, great gouge, really appreciate the advice.

Random question, but for undergarments, would boxers like this be okay? My survival guide and some ensigns at my district mentioned that boxers we okay, but a lot of packing lists seems to say briefs only. I just wanted to make sure.

They don't care what undies you wear as long as they aren't visible when you're wearing PT shorts.

SemperFiDay

@Hopeful Hoya You gave some good gouge on the flight screening. I know you are not prior service, but any idea for those of us crossing from another service brought the entire record or just the regular physical done by the military doc? My record with the AF is pretty thin since USMC lost my original..

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
@Hopeful Hoya You gave some good gouge on the flight screening. I know you are not prior service, but any idea for those of us crossing from another service brought the entire record or just the regular physical done by the military doc? My record with the AF is pretty thin since USMC lost my original..

I will defer to the Priors or ORs on here (@NavyOffRec care to chime in?) But I would say definitely bring your whole record. Even if you don't need all of it, it may save you time having to run down paperwork for past issues that need cleared or waviered. Worst case the flight surgeon relieves your file of some extraneous paperwork and sends you on your way, which is what happened to me with some of the stuff my NRD forwarded from MEPS.

SemperFiDay

ok, I got with @NavyOffRec. Apparently it is not unique for other service to arrive with a short record. I just don't know how to run down a record the MC lost. We will see. Do you still participate or are you place in H-Company? Also, for those that failed flight physical for whatever reason, did they just redesignate? It would suck to get through Week 7 and be informed you failed the qual for flight physical.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
You don't roll into H for problems with your flight physical, it's only for people who are too injured or sick to continue training, or who fail an event during the first three weeks and need to re-take it with the next class (IST,Fast Cruise, RLP).

If something does pop on your flight physical you continue training while they work through the problem (getting followups, tracking down paperwork, etc.) so things are normal in that regard. Hopefully things will be wrapped up by the time you get to Candio phase so you're just waiting on NAMI to review your physical and grant you any waivers, if you need them.

However, that is not always the case. A number of people in my class are stuck in student pool because they couldn't get a necessary follow up appointment until after graduation, even though it is relatively routine and they should have no problems getting cleared. At least a couple need surgery for various issues.

If you are officially NPQ'd, you are given the opportunity to apply to other communities for redesignation. Several of my classmates are in student pool doing that now, as soon as you are picked up you have a private commissioning and then you get your orders to leave Newport for whatever follow on training you have,

TL;DR: There's a reason it's called the NAMI Whammy. The whole process is stressful even for people with relatively minor issues, and it sucks for those with more serious issues. And unless you are one of the very few lucky people who can get a physical with a flight surgeon before OCS, there's no way to really know what your process will be like until you get there.

MTLiving

@Hopeful Hoya how was your experience with the anthros? Did you see a lot of your class get Whammied from it? At 6'4" this is the one area that has me extremely worried.

SemperFiDay

You don't roll into H for problems with your flight physical, it's only for people who are too injured or sick to continue training, or who fail an event during the first three weeks and need to re-take it with the next class (IST,Fast Cruise, RLP).

If something does pop on your flight physical you continue training while they work through the problem (getting followups, tracking down paperwork, etc.) so things are normal in that regard. Hopefully things will be wrapped up by the time you get to Candio phase so you're just waiting on NAMI to review your physical and grant you any waivers, if you need them.

However, that is not always the case. A number of people in my class are stuck in student pool because they couldn't get a necessary follow up appointment until after graduation, even though it is relatively routine and they should have no problems getting cleared. At least a couple need surgery for various issues.

If you are officially NPQ'd, you are given the opportunity to apply to other communities for redesignation. Several of my classmates are in student pool doing that now, as soon as you are picked up you have a private commissioning and then you get your orders to leave Newport for whatever follow on training you have,

TL;DR: There's a reason it's called the NAMI Whammy. The whole process is stressful even for people with relatively minor issues, and it sucks for those with more serious issues. And unless you are one of the very few lucky people who can get a physical with a flight surgeon before OCS, there's no way to really know what your process will be like until you get there.

Thanks for the good info. It seems best to just go with the flow. On anoher topic, scuttlebutt is OCS may go down to 10weeks, did you hear anything before leaving Newport ?