• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

zboy

None
That's surprising that so many people fail the IST. I wonder if it would benefit the Navy to have applicants do a PFA before they went to OCS. Thanks for the post!!!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
What's the big 5?

Enlisted ranks for USN/USMC, Officer ranks for USN/USMC, Code of Conduct, General Orders of a Sentry, and Chain of Command.

That's surprising that so many people fail the IST. I wonder if it would benefit the Navy to have applicants do a PFA before they went to OCS. Thanks for the post!!!

From what I understand it is probably going back to the way it was previously, where applicants have to pass a PFA at their NRD before shipping. Apparently there are a few problem NRDs that are known for sending out of shape applicants to OCS.

exNavyOffRec

It used to be done that way, but there are legalities that came to light after a person died doing one. A person has to sign a hold harmless waiver in order to do the PFA and volunteer to do it, since before they are in the USN if they trip and become injured all cost are on them, and they could end up not being able to go in the USN. Then you also have to have CPR qualified people on hand, and enough monitors, etc.... in some areas it can be challenging.

They have been trying to figure a way to bring it back since they suspended it back in 2010? pretty much everything they kept coming up with so they could require them the lawyers said no.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
It used to be done that way, but there are legalities that came to light after a person died doing one. A person has to sign a hold harmless waiver in order to do the PFA and volunteer to do it, since before they are in the USN if they trip and become injured all cost are on them, and they could end up not being able to go in the USN. Then you also have to have CPR qualified people on hand, and enough monitors, etc.... in some areas it can be challenging.

They have been trying to figure a way to bring it back since they suspended it back in 2010? pretty much everything they kept coming up with so they could require them the lawyers said no.
Couldn't it be made part of the application like with the Marines?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I would bring a copy of your entire medical record, in particular what was used for the MEPS physical just in case.

I have seen some NRDs get put on blast for not mailing medical records to OCS either on time or even ever.

This happened to me and most people in my class. In retrospect, it would have been extremely easy for me to have hidden my medical history when I showed up to OCS.

lusos

A man's gotta eat
Hoya, thanks for the post. I've been following you since I've been applying and it's nice to see a fellow AW going all the way through the process.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Unfortunately the chrome domes are still MIA, but you do get a swanky OCS command ballcap!

And thank you! Very thankful that my current tasking for the next 13 weeks basically consists of not getting fat or arrested :D
If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing for your OHARP?

TangoMic

Just graduated with 03-17. OCS sucked but in the end it was an extremely rewarding experience, especially because of the fantastic staff they have there.

Figured I’d pass on some of what’s been going on since there are some big changes underfoot, and OCS in general is going to be a lot tougher and less forgiving going forward.

The new CO OTCN, DOCS, and DDOCS all have a very similar warfighter mentality and agree that in the past there had been people graduating from OCS who should not be Naval Officers. The Class-O’s and RDCs/DIs feel the same way.

Poopie suits are back. Fast cruise is much more difficult. If you fail the IST, roll into H, and fail it again three weeks later, you’re pretty much gone. The staff are able to roll people more easily and are not afraid to do so if you do something that calls into question your integrity or fitness to be an officer.

There’s a lot more going on, but if you’re applying to OCS you only need to worry about this:

Show up in shape. This may sound obvious, but we had people roll out on my IST who couldn’t do 42 good form pushups (for 20-24 males) or even finish a 1.5 mile run, period, let alone complete it in time. The IST minimums are now SAT-MEDIUM on the Navy’s 2016 PFA standard. To prepare: do sprint/jog runs. Do pushups and situps. Work in some HIIT to prepare for getting beat. Don’t worry about runs over 3 miles or lifting, because you’ll lose all of your base the first 9 weeks.

Prepare mentally. OCS is hard, and it is meant to be. The first couple of weeks you will be stressed pretty much the majority of the time you’re awake. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. It will amaze you how much better you are at compartmentalizing stress after your 12 weeks there.

Prepare to be a leader. Always do the right thing, never give up your integrity. Help your shipmates when they are struggling, but do it in a tactful way. Don’t try to hide or fly under the radar, the staff will find you and put you on the spot. Take chances, screw up, pay the price, learn, repeat. Better to make a mistake at OCS and get beat than in the fleet where it could cost someone their life.

Do those things and you will be fine.

If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them.

Hi Hoya,

I posted this question in the stupid questions thread, but it did not get any love.

As a recent OCS graduate what is your advice on the following.

When I went to OCS for the USMC, there were several items that people suggested bringing with you to make certain tasks easier (for example king size permanent markers so that you did not have to remark your shirts or gear after using the black shoe polish they issue you for the task, or another example is a head lamp to be used instead of the issued flashlight for late night studying / completion of assigned essays.)

Is there anything (beyond basic required items, and your "A" game / war face) that you suggest bringing similar to the things above?

I have searched this question both on here and other forums and it is often one the does not get very far. After my experience at USMC OCS, and how helpful the suggested items were to making life a bit easier, I believe it to be very relevant question.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I would definitely bring a week's supply of good boot socks (I got Fox Rivers) because the issued ones suck. I also brought good white athletic socks so I could save the issued ones for RLP. The only other thing I would suggest is bringing a Ninja Star, it's a big help getting your ribbons and name tag squared away for inspections.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Are they going to bring back 1x DI per company vice 1x per class, or is that issue more of a manning problem than a toughening/weakening of OCS problem?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Still, it ain't P'Cola. Just kidding...Congrats Ensign Hoya!