• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
@Hopeful Hoya how was your experience with the anthros? Did you see a lot of your class get Whammied from it? At 6'4" this is the one area that has me extremely worried.

Yeah one of my buddies was DQ'd from tailhook (he anthro'd out of the T-45). I think you should be ok but you just may not get to fly something with a tailhook.

Thanks for the good info. It seems best to just go with the flow. On anoher topic, scuttlebutt is OCS may go down to 10weeks, did you hear anything before leaving Newport ?

It's going to happen, not a question of if but when. Right before I left our Class O's told us that they are likely already assigning people to the first 10 week class, but that could change. I would plan on 12 weeks of fun and if you only get 10 it's a nice surprise.

MTLiving

Yeah one of my buddies was DQ'd from tailhook (he anthro'd out of the T-45). I think you should be ok but you just may not get to fly something with a tailhook.

It's going to happen, not a question of if but when. Right before I left our Class O's told us that they are likely already assigning people to the first 10 week class, but that could change. I would plan on 12 weeks of fun and if you only get 10 it's a nice surprise.
Was he a pretty tall guy?? I take it they aren't being very "liberal" with the measurements then.

SemperFiDay

Thanks for taking the time. Here's hoping NFO makes it through NAMI :) in Jan.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
You don't roll into H for problems with your flight physical, it's only for people who are too injured or sick to continue training, or who fail an event during the first three weeks and need to re-take it with the next class (IST,Fast Cruise, RLP).

If something does pop on your flight physical you continue training while they work through the problem (getting followups, tracking down paperwork, etc.) so things are normal in that regard. Hopefully things will be wrapped up by the time you get to Candio phase so you're just waiting on NAMI to review your physical and grant you any waivers, if you need them.

However, that is not always the case. A number of people in my class are stuck in student pool because they couldn't get a necessary follow up appointment until after graduation, even though it is relatively routine and they should have no problems getting cleared. At least a couple need surgery for various issues.

If you are officially NPQ'd, you are given the opportunity to apply to other communities for redesignation. Several of my classmates are in student pool doing that now, as soon as you are picked up you have a private commissioning and then you get your orders to leave Newport for whatever follow on training you have,

TL;DR: There's a reason it's called the NAMI Whammy. The whole process is stressful even for people with relatively minor issues, and it sucks for those with more serious issues. And unless you are one of the very few lucky people who can get a physical with a flight surgeon before OCS, there's no way to really know what your process will be like until you get there.

True story. Incredibly, our class (14-16) was able to commission with only a few transitioning from SNA to SNFO, but everyone in aviation got to stay in aviation, and that doesn't happen very often. Even so, there were like 2 of the 31 of us that were SNA/SNFO who didn't require some kind of waiver that involved sitting on pins and needles while dealing with OCS, waiting on that NAMI letter.

SemperFiDay

Whats with the waivers? Are these requested by OCS after the flight physical? I thought everyone was cleared before OCS..

koliver

Do people loose a lot of weight at OCS? I've heard people loosing a lot at Marine Corps OCS but that's obviously different. I'm just curious how it'll be with eating on a schedule and not having access to beer.

MTLiving

Do people loose a lot of weight at OCS? I've heard people loosing a lot at Marine Corps OCS but that's obviously different. I'm just curious how it'll be with eating on a schedule and not having access to beer.
I heard a lot of people lose their muscle mass when they are there..so I can only assume so!

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Whats with the waivers? Are these requested by OCS after the flight physical? I thought everyone was cleared before OCS..
They're required by NAMI to start flying. The MEPS physical you get isn't a flight physical, just a Navy physical. Those waivers are different. You'll get a long form flight physical the week you show up at OCS. The waivers will be assessed from there.
I lost 25 lbs. Other people didn't lose any weight. You will lose muscle mass undoubtedly. It all comes down to what you choose to eat in chow hall. If you keep to healthy stuff, you'll lose some, if you eat meatloaf and PB&Js at every single meal, it might stay the same.

gsalg

Yeah im 5'5 and im very worried about anthro for NFO.

Is this Navy physical at OCS different from the one they give you at MEPS nowadays? I feel like that was pretty extensive I was there for roughly 8 hours.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah im 5'5 and im very worried about anthro for NFO.

Is this Navy physical at OCS different from the one they give you at MEPS nowadays? I feel like that was pretty extensive I was there for roughly 8 hours.

A typical long form physical takes about 3-4 hours as you moo around the different medical offices to get your various sub-systems checked out. Sometimes it can take longer depending on if you're timing is off and the hearing booth is already full or dental makes you sit for 30 minutes for no reason (which I'm convinced is every time).

For those concerned about anthros, there's a whole thread about it. Your height isn't the issue, it's how the rest of your body parts fits into a chair that's reminiscent of a Tower of London torture device, except less spikey. If you're lucky, you'll get a HN that knows what they're doing, but it's not unheard of (at least in the past) to have someone that isn't really paying attention to how you're sitting in the device and the measurement will be off.

Godspeed.

SemperFiDay

A typical long form physical takes about 3-4 hours as you moo around the different medical offices to get your various sub-systems checked out. Sometimes it can take longer depending on if you're timing is off and the hearing booth is already full or dental makes you sit for 30 minutes for no reason (which I'm convinced is every time).

For those concerned about anthros, there's a whole thread about it. Your height isn't the issue, it's how the rest of your body parts fits into a chair that's reminiscent of a Tower of London torture device, except less spikey. If you're lucky, you'll get a HN that knows what they're doing, but it's not unheard of (at least in the past) to have someone that isn't really paying attention to how you're sitting in the device and the measurement will be off.

Godspeed.

So I am a inner-service transfer and the AF did a flight physical on me, im guessing USN will throw that to the side? In a nutshell, The physical we all do (whether MEPS or service MD), is just to get us to OCS and then they re-do it all (labs, hearing, eyes, etc) again for NAMI? Just wondering why they even make us do physicals in the first place...

Btw, is this everyone or jus flight?

MTLiving

So I am a inner-service transfer and the AF did a flight physical on me, im guessing USN will throw that to the side? In a nutshell, The physical we all do (whether MEPS or service MD), is just to get us to OCS and then they re-do it all (labs, hearing, eyes, etc) again for NAMI? Just wondering why they even make us do physicals in the first place...

Btw, is this everyone or jus flight?
Everyone gets an extensive physical but flight is much more intensive. The flight contracts have to go through a full flight physical.