• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Typical Day at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6665

Time for Marines

Does the 3.5 years active duty requirment for PLC Ground/Law include time spent at TBS?

KBayDog

KBayDog said:
Actually, I think I studied 24 minutes every week. Seriously, the knowledge isn't hard. Just pay attention in class, pay attention to the foot-stomping, pay attention to the reviews, and DO NOT pay attention to the Mike Co. gouge.

CAUTION: Nowhere in here did KBayDog say to blow off academics. Take them seriously; they aren't as easy as OCS, but they're not difficult. Still, many lieutenants wind up failing them (usually because they blew them off).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah call for fire kicked my ass for a good week until one of my Salty prior 81s roomates locked me on and now Im better than the Arty guys. Academics at TBS are somewhere between joke and flight school (not hard but beware the occasional test that pops up and I know of one particular instructor there right now who will take pleasure in throwing you a curve ball or two

Taxman2A

War were declared.
fightinfalcon said:
Does the 3.5 years active duty requirment for PLC Ground/Law include time spent at TBS?

Yes. Time against your ground contract starts ticking away from the day you check in at TBS.

KBayDog

skidkid said:
Yeah call for fire kicked my ass for a good week until one of my Salty prior 81s roomates locked me on and now Im better than the Arty guys. Academics at TBS are somewhere between joke and flight school (not hard but beware the occasional test that pops up and I know of one particular instructor there right now who will take pleasure in throwing you a curve ball or two

Call for Failure is probably the most tricky test at TBS. All of the tests are multiple choice, but CFF is also 1/2 fill in the blanks. They are sticklers for detail - make sure you dot your "Ts" and cross your "Is" on that exam.

OH - the writing skills exam sucks, too.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
skidkid said:
Yeah call for fire kicked my ass for a good week until one of my Salty prior 81s roomates locked me on .....

gotta love those 81 guys!

brd2881 hit man, you're in those classrooms for so long that all you have to do is half-@ss pay attention and you won't need to study.

Infantry is to TBS like Jets are to flight school. Dudes walking around asking
"What are my chances of getting infantry" or "My dad works for Little Debbie but I can still run a 289 PFT and I have a LOR from a Coast Guard Petty Officer, what are my chances of getting infantry" or "What percentage gets infantry"

Then after the first rainy/snowy/miserable FEX, half those dudes start asking "What are my chances for Ground supply or Logistics" or "What percentage don't get infantry" or "Dude, this sucks" I found it amuzing. The ones I couldn't figure out were the ones that came in wanting Logistics or Ground supply and finished TBS actually wanting and getting infantry....wtf

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
KBayDog said:
Call for Failure is probably the most tricky test at TBS. All of the tests are multiple choice, but CFF is also 1/2 fill in the blanks. They are sticklers for detail - make sure you dot your "Ts" and cross your "Is" on that exam.

OH - the writing skills exam sucks, too.

I definitely messed up Call for Fire. Writing Skills was ridiculous. I remember getting here and during Zero Week they told me we'd have these classes and then take a Writing Skills exam. I was like, WTF, over? First off, I haven't taken grammar or any of that trash since freshman year of high school, not to mention the fact that they were some of the most boring classes ever.

As for the other tests, yes, they are easy, but they're also easy to screw up. Do not blow them off and study when you can. You don't have to spend all your time studying, but it's good stuff to know. Take advantage of the hour or so that they mandate in the mornings before tests. I'll admit that being an air contract made me somewhat of a FIGMAC - only in the classroom, not in the field - but I definitely wish I would've studied a bit more, because I know I could have done better. Just don't get to TBS with the idea that you're an air contract, so your standing won't matter - because it will if something happens and you lose your air contract, you don't want to get stuck with a less-desirable MOS because your class standing sucked (even though "there is no bad MOS in the Marine Corps". Okay, enough running my suck.

KBayDog

Yes there is - on mainside. It's a bit of a drive to Barrett (~20-30 mins, since the speed limits are so slow). They are the old apartments (the "letter" quarters), which are being renovated. Since new housing is popping up, residents of the quarters are being shifted around. Still, it's available for you.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Writing Skills was ridiculous

We had a Lt. who just got out of TBS come and talk to us, English Major, got an 82.

You guys really know how to paint a pretty picture of this place. It almost sounds like you never want to leave. I guess those 300 word essays are more then just to screw your time management. (Doubt it)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Then after the first rainy/snowy/miserable FEX, half those dudes start asking "What are my chances for Ground supply or Logistics" or "What percentage don't get infantry" or "Dude, this sucks" I found it amuzing.

Haha. Sounds like MCT/SOI.

First it's: "I can't wait until I can do the FORCE RECON indoc and become a ninja-spy!"
--
Then it's: "Hey Gunny, how soon can I put in for a b-billet and get out of here????"

haha

KBayDog

Killer2 said:
We had a Lt. who just got out of TBS come and talk to us, English Major, got an 82.

You guys really know how to paint a pretty picture of this place. It almost sounds like you never want to leave. I guess those 300 word essays are more then just to screw your time management. (Doubt it)

I didn't write any 300-word essays at TBS, did anyone else?

Oh wait - that was that OTHER place *shudder.*

Malice 1

pilot
KBayDog said:
Oh wait - that was that OTHER place *shudder.*

Just to make sure that we are on the same page: You thought OCS stank as well? There were some guys in my OCS platoon that were soooo enthusiastic and gung ho, they made me want to vomit.

I get the general idea of a typical day at TBS. Class, class, class. I found some of the syllibi online for some TBS classes.

WHat about some non typical days, like those spent in the field? Are they riddled with the same suicidal infantry infantry training like OCS? Those Individual rushes that we practiced in OCS were a joke, right? (not trying to insult the infantry)

KBayDog

Boot camp, OCS, and TBS were all experiences...not good or bad.

TBS is very 'crawl, walk, run.' You'll learn the theory, practice it on sand tables, practice more during early FEXs, and finally put it to real use in the field.

Every day is different, but yes, you do spend a ton of time in the classroom.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Those Individual rushes that we practiced in OCS were a joke, right? (not trying to insult the infantry)

You'll do buddy rushes at TBS, because it is more realistic. And no more of the OCS screaming when you rush. We were specifically told by an AI during FEX I to forget that trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.