• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9/9/9/64

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Some folks are going to disagree with me on this but IMO, never tell the flight surgeon more than he or she needs to know.
I don't disagree. It's the best medical advice you can follow when it comes to flying and "keeping flying" ... obviously, don't be stupid if it's a "real" medical concern you have -- you should know your bodies well enough at your tender young ages and have the grey matter to discern big from little medical problems ... but whether it's the FS in the Navy or the AME in civie street ... loose lips sink ships (and flying careers ... )

Example: I had hepatitis when I was a kid. I was fully recovered years prior to my first Navy physical --- but I dutifully reported it --- and had to keep on having useless blood tests for the rest of my Naval career -- just to prove that I had "recovered". :eek:

I never mentioned it when I rolled into civie street to the AME or FEDs ... no harm, no foul ... I retired with 30 years of airline flying in my logbook.

And I still have not had a relapse of hepatitis ... :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some folks are going to disagree with me on this but IMO, never tell the flight surgeon more than he or she needs to know.
Well, maybe you don't technically have to "tell" him, but one of the questions on the form specifically asks you about any surgeries you've had. So in that sense, you're already telling him by filling out the medical questionaire.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, maybe you don't technically have to "tell" him, but one of the questions on the form specifically asks you about any surgeries you've had. So in that sense, you're already telling him by filling out the medical questionaire.

That's where the disagreement might creep in. I might for instance not check a box about something that I had in the past. Something the flight surgeon doesn't need to know.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Medical Issues

Its cool to be tough and to keep flying. One tip though: Never go into a high pressure chamber with a sinus infection, I don't care how tough you think you are. Or even flying for that matter...

-Ken

htj

Final Select SNA -- January 5 OCS
How to get NPQ'd

Just remember, when you have a bad brief or flight, be sure to tell the IP:

"Sir, I got a 9/9/9 on my ASTB, so its cool, I'm gauranteed jets"

Congrats on a good score.. Now, as is always said- Don't fvck it up (by doing something stupid that would cause you NOT to get selected)

Well I found out something non-stupid that will cause me to not be selected...
Got word earlier this week that I am NPQ due to an allergy to Wasp stings... gonna get allergy tested, but looks like all the work is for naught...

htj

Final Select SNA -- January 5 OCS
I know bees are waiverable.. There were quite a few in my OCS class with the red dog tag for allergies...

I was pro-rec'd SNA and had my physical and such and then came back NPQ... maybe they changed their policy since then

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's where the disagreement might creep in. I might for instance not check a box about something that I had in the past. Something the flight surgeon doesn't need to know.
That's fine. I certainly don't agree with it and it is your conscience and career after all. However, please don't give that advice to others on here.

I am curious though, how do you know what is important to tell the doc and what isn't. I wonder how you would handle the situation if a stud kept something from you that ended up causing a mishap, be it something medical, personal, or they see an aircraft CBDR (you miss it) and neglect to report it to you.