• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

justin2023

@exNavyOffRec do you know anything about any quotas with BDCP? Like if they hit a certain number of accepted applicants navy wide they’ll stop accepting for that FY?
I read on the program authorization they are taking 50 total for BDCP until they terminate the program or FY2024 (whichever first).
BDCP will pay more attention to GPA than a normal board as they want to make sure a person will graduate, I had and saw several picked up before they put the program on hold and we had several with great ASTB scores with GPA's just above 3.0 that were told "No" but when they graduated were picked up right away.
That's unfortunate to hear. Thanks for the info

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
I read on the program authorization they are taking 50 total for BDCP until they terminate the program or FY2024
Oof that might be tough. My recruiter did say I'm the only one he knows of applying out of navy recruiting region NW. Could be bs but gotta take him at his word.

justin2023

Oof that might be tough. My recruiter did say I'm the only one he knows of applying out of navy recruiting region NW. Could be bs but gotta take him at his word.
I got a 5/5/5 my first time taking the ASTB and my recruiter said it was good and I should not retake so... yeah. He is an awesome recruiter but I also knew I needed to get my ASTB up to have a chance at the board. I know some talk out their ass too so it's hard to tell what is right and what is not. I wouldn't mind a "normal" route to OCS but BDCP would be awesome especially if we have to wait a while to go to OCS

justin2023

In general I think it’ll be interesting to see how many of us going for the BDCP actually get selected since the navy isn’t getting anything out of us until we graduate. LOR’s are where I’m scrambling right now. So far only one of my profs has gotten back to me with one and my boss is taking his sweet time with it. Also need my advisor to get me my graduation plan
I am also curious to see how many will be picked up as well seeing that they are taking 50 applicants total. I think if you can nail your ASTB on the next attempt you should be straight and I see that @68Chev has a solid GPA and ASTB so I think he will definitely get a slot.

I was originally applying for the August Board and I had to chase down my advisor 2 days before the deadline to finish my graduation plan sheet. Got in the day before the deadline but the board ended up being canceled so all that rush for nothing. I actually got my whole application done in under a month from taking the ASTB and getting all the paperwork and medical done all for that board to cancel.

ChandosT

I got a 5/5/5 my first time taking the ASTB and my recruiter said it was good and I should not retake so... yeah. He is an awesome recruiter but I also knew I needed to get my ASTB up to have a chance at the board. I know some talk out their ass too so it's hard to tell what is right and what is not. I wouldn't mind a "normal" route to OCS but BDCP would be awesome especially if we have to wait a while to go to OCS
Mine was pretty straight forward that with my 5/6/6 that I SHOULD retake but that came with the caveat of him again shooting his shot for me to go NUPOC/SWO which I'm not doing. Yeah the program is incredible and I could really use the money/benefits. Have a family and whatnot so this would allow me to quit my job and just focus on school which is a dream for me.
I am also curious to see how many will be picked up as well seeing that they are taking 50 applicants total. I think if you can nail your ASTB on the next attempt you should be straight and I see that @68Chev has a solid GPA and ASTB so I think he will definitely get a slot.

I was originally applying for the August Board and I had to chase down my advisor 2 days before the deadline to finish my graduation plan sheet. Got in the day before the deadline but the board ended up being canceled so all that rush for nothing. I actually got my whole application done in under a month from taking the ASTB and getting all the paperwork and medical done all for that board to cancel.
I've been working on mine for only about a month and a half and I actually need to have everything next week because the week after im taking vacation to visit family so my deadline might as well be a week earlierw

justin2023

Mine was pretty straight forward that with my 5/6/6 that I SHOULD retake but that came with the caveat of him again shooting his shot for me to go NUPOC/SWO which I'm not doing. Yeah the program is incredible and I could really use the money/benefits. Have a family and whatnot so this would allow me to quit my job and just focus on school which is a dream for me.

I've been working on mine for only about a month and a half and I actually need to have everything next week because the week after im taking vacation to visit family so my deadline might as well be a week earlierw
Mine was trying to get me to do the same thing but yeah I am here for an aviation slot preferably. That would definitely be awesome for you man!

FlyingGamecock

My recruiter said I will need to fill out a statement to send to the board with my package about marijuana usage in college (Over 1 year ago, 10-20 times over a couple years, said it wasn’t for me and stopped using it). You think that’s a deal breaker or do they get a bunch of statements like these?

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Mine was pretty straight forward that with my 5/6/6 that I SHOULD retake but that came with the caveat of him again shooting his shot for me to go NUPOC/SWO which I'm not doing.
My recruiter wasn't actively trying to get me to go SWO, but he mentioned several times that they're apparently VERY short on SWO applicants. I don't know how true that is, but I have a feeling he was trying to tell me something...

ChandosT

My recruiter wasn't actively trying to get me to go SWO, but he mentioned several times that they're apparently VERY short on SWO applicants. I don't know how true that is, but I have a feeling he was trying to tell me something...
There is some truth to it. Seems to be much harder to find people that want to be officers that dedicate their whole life to being out at sea as opposed to years of training and then flying in badass aircraft. I wonder why. ?

I could be wrong here but I watched like 15 minutes of an OCS graduation the other day and the SWO's seem to go straight to the boat from OCS. Unless you're a prior talk about getting thrown in the fire. But anyway for me personally, I don't mind the boat but I wouldn't want it to be my whole existence.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
I could be wrong here but I watched like 15 minutes of an OCS graduation the other day and the SWO's seem to go straight to the boat from OCS. Unless you're a prior talk about getting thrown in the fire. But anyway for me personally, I don't mind the boat but I wouldn't want it to be my whole existence.
Yeah I think you get to select your ship based on your academic performance or something like that.

The Naval Academy does it like that. Idk if it’s the same way with aviation, but I’d love to have Money for Nothing as my walk up song for that lol

Yeah I mean I have heard that BDCP is a little harder to get into than applying normally. My GPA is worrying me as well but I feel like my LORs and personal statement are strong as well as a pretty decent ASTB. But no clue if they read those LORs or personal statement. I am getting a B.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology which is a STEM degree

I saw some guys got picked up with a 6 PFAR last board but no clue if they were ISPP. If anything I have heard a 7 is more in the middle than anything. I also do have my PPL but I heard that gives no weight to the boards even if I do show I was taking college classes while working towards it. No clue how different parts of an application weigh on a BDCP app
I was picked up with a 7/6/7, not ISPP.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
Good morning AW's, the boys are in town this weekend and I cannot wait to watch them tear up the skies over Lake Erie.

WorldWar33.3

I read somewhere that SWO is overmanned and I figured that's why they increased the GPA requirement a few points. Back in the day, all you needed was a pulse to become a SWO.