• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 27NOV2023 INTEL BOARD

DickFlair

I check every so often to see if anyone had started a group for this board date. I thought it was odd a thread hadn’t been started yet since historically one is made months before the board date.

I am an applicant. I submitted back in August.

Best of luck to everyone!

EchoMike

I'm an applicant as well. Interesting timing for this board. When do you reckon results will be out? Past boards were roughly a month out, but that falls right in the middle of the holidays for this one...

DickFlair

I'm an applicant as well. Interesting timing for this board. When do you reckon results will be out? Past boards were roughly a month out, but that falls right in the middle of the holidays for this one...
I’m thinking early to mid January.

viridian

Are they still being super selective for intel? I have no business getting accepted with my OAR but my GPA is perfect.

@exNavyOffRec what generally makes a packet competitive for Intel?

Looking at previous selections on the forum and elsewhere, it seems like GPAs, majors, OAR scores, age, etc varied widely on those selected. My recruiter also didn't say what the quota was for Intel. It sounds like SWO is what the Navy is in dire need of and recommended I apply there as a back up.

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec what generally makes a packet competitive for Intel?

Looking at previous selections on the forum and elsewhere, it seems like GPAs, majors, OAR scores, age, etc varied widely on those selected. My recruiter also didn't say what the quota was for Intel. It sounds like SWO is what the Navy is in dire need of and recommended I apply there as a back up.
High GPA is the constant, over time the GPA average of those selected is about 3.5, the degree can be a factor as well but for Intel you do see more people picked up with non tech than you would for say IP and CW. The OAR isn't really a factor at all.

The number on this forum that get selected is a fairly small sample of those who get picked up, and there will always be some outliers, if a person is sitting at a 3.5 with a preferred degree and zero waivers they should have a decent shot.

Heh-Roeee (Scooby-doo style),

I am not usually a forum kind of guy but this will be a nice place to focus my anxiety as we wait 1-2 months haha

My stats are as follows:

UG GPA: 3.0 (International Business)
Graduate GPA: 3.3 (Poli Sci)
OAR: 59
Prior Experience: Enlisted (branch omitted on purpose)
Male, 27
First time applying
Nervous? Yes.
Anxious? Yes.
Relatively in good spirits that the outcome of this result will determine which road I take in life for the next few years? Yes.

Anywho, best of luck to all and hey, hopefully, just hopefully, we run into each other in Newport next year! ?

Bests,

Keurig (because who doesn't love a Keurig haha)

My stats, posted in another thread.

Degrees: BA Business - Management Information Systems (3.33), Master's in Public Administration (3.87), MSc in International Development (3.5 **UK grading scale may not be accurate)
OAR: 54
Leadership: I was the General Manager for 4 years. During the pandemic I was a Digital Literacy Officer at an NGO where I managed a digital transformation project. Currently employed as a systems administrator for an international NGO.

I was selected with a below-average GPA (3.2 for undergrad) in a non-tech field, but I also had a master's with a 4.0. When they averaged them out I believe it ended up being around a 3.33 GPA for the board which was still pretty below average. I scored in the high-60s on my OAR though which I feel did a lot to compensate for my GPA. This was almost two years ago.

It sounds like SWO is what the Navy is in dire need of and recommended I apply there as a back up.

They are always looking for SWOs. While some people really love the SWO life, it's a very demanding designator that is known to eat their young. As a result, they tend to have trouble recruiting and retaining SWOs.

I WOULD NOT recommend putting it down as a backup unless you are 100% willing to go SWO over intel. There isn't any benefit to you in doing this and you very well could just wind up stuck with SWO.

exNavyOffRec

I was selected with a below-average GPA (3.2 for undergrad) in a non-tech field, but I also had a master's with a 4.0. When they averaged them out I believe it ended up being around a 3.33 GPA for the board which was still pretty below average. I scored in the high-60s on my OAR though which I feel did a lot to compensate for my GPA. This was almost two years ago.

They are always looking for SWOs. While some people really love the SWO life, it's a very demanding designator that is known to eat their young. As a result, they tend to have trouble recruiting and retaining SWOs.

I WOULD NOT recommend putting it down as a backup unless you are 100% willing to go SWO over intel. There isn't any benefit to you in doing this and you very well could just wind up stuck with SWO.
It is always good for people to hear "don't apply for something you don't want" no matter what the designator is, I think often it is more seen in aviation where people are taking SNFO when they prefer SNA.

OAR isn't really a factor as those just out of college tend to do better and for those it tends to correlate with GPA, so it isn't really a good measure, as long as it doesn't require a waiver it doesn't get attention.

Remember that the 3.5 average is just an average, some will be higher and some will be lower, your is in the ballpark. If you had a 3.3 Bachelors and a 4.0 Masters based on the standard credit load for each your GPA should have averaged out to 3.53. To get a BA/BS is usually 120 semester/180 quarter credits and a MA/MS is 60 semester/90 quarter credits, that gives a 2/1 weight of course some people take more for one or the other. NRC checks the work of the recruiter and fixes as needed.