• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

BDavis11

Contributor
Thanks for creating this thread, @BDavis11! ??

This is the first board I am applying to.
31 y/old. 3.9 undergraduate. 3.7 master's. Prior enlisted E-5. ASTB scores: 50 5/6/6. 1st choise: SNA. 2nd, INTEL. 3rd, SNFO.

I've studied the data on folks whom have received a Y in the past, and it looks like scores aren't the main driver for acceptance into the program. Some folks with high scores got turned down. I think what it boils down to is if the candidate has met the score that will prove their aptitude is on par with passing school. The 'yes' in my perception is coming from the whole picture: talent and character.

What are other people's thoughts on this?
I’m current e5 applying for the first time as well

NobleJ

SNA
Some people with higher scores that were denied might have a moral waiver, which usually isn't included on the spreadsheets. AFAIK, ASTB scores and then GPA are the most important factors in your application.
Thanks for that perspective. I didn't think of that. What's AFAIK?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for creating this thread, @BDavis11! ??

This is the first board I am applying to.
31 y/old. 3.9 undergraduate. 3.7 master's. Prior enlisted E-5. ASTB scores: 50 5/6/6. 1st choise: SNA. 2nd, INTEL. 3rd, SNFO.

I've studied the data on folks whom have received a Y in the past, and it looks like scores aren't the main driver for acceptance into the program. Some folks with high scores got turned down. I think what it boils down to is if the candidate has met the score that will prove their aptitude is on par with passing school. The 'yes' in my perception is coming from the whole picture: talent and character.

What are other people's thoughts on this?
for aviation scores are the main driver specifically PFAR for SNA and FOFAR for SNFO, do people get picked up with 6's yes, is it rare, yes. You have a better shot at Intel with your very high GPA's on your UG and PG degrees.

If you really want to fly why did you put in for Intel? and if you really want to fly you should keep studying for the ASTB

NobleJ

SNA
for aviation scores are the main driver specifically PFAR for SNA and FOFAR for SNFO, do people get picked up with 6's yes, is it rare, yes. You have a better shot at Intel with your very high GPA's on your UG and PG degrees.

If you really want to fly why did you put in for Intel? and if you really want to fly you should keep studying for the ASTB
I hear you. I really do want to fly. And I am putting in for intel as my backup to SNA. Last resort is SNFO. I've only taken the ASTB once (and took it will finishing my Master's comprehensive exam and thesis). I didn't study much, and the recruiting office suggeats not retaking it because I have postgraduate work, amongst other things going for me. You bring up a good point. Thank you. I will keep it in mind. I haven't applied to any boards yet. My frst will be the Jan SNA/SNFO.

ssrhinoman96

Hey y'all, just got my account approved and wanted to post my stats. Still waiting for MEPS cuz I got prk surgery and lw nervous about getting DQ'd for something random, but hoping I'll get the waivers. Vision is 20/15 both eyes thankfully. Also we should make an excel sheet to compare and calc avgs for the board.

Applying SNA
ASTB - 66 9/8/8
GPA - 2.9 (might be higher with other college classes fingers crossed)
Age - 24
Major - Computer Engineering
Prior Service - N
Flight experience - PPL, Part 107(lol), ~100 hrs

Best of luck to all!

NobleJ

SNA

How long ago was your recruiting tour?

NobleJ

SNA
AFAIK=As far as I know. A few boards ago there was a guy on here that had high ASTB scores (I think it was a mix of 8s and 9s) and he was still denied because he had a waiver for prior drug use.
Thanks for the details, allegroreyees. That makes sense.

exNavyOffRec

How long ago was your recruiting tour?
8 years ago, still have friends doing it, some have moved into leadership positions and others are now civilian employees. It is interesting to hear how messed up some of the processes are now, many are avoiding the online boards as they don't want to let something out that can be seen as going against their command. When I started one of the other OR's that had good friend at NRC pulled data from 10 or so years back and looked at all the factors, we used that during out tours to figure out odds of applicants being selected and that data held true and still does. The processors would have me look at the kits and say who I thought would make it and who wouldn't, I was right over 90% of the time, there were a few I was wrong on that were odd as they weren't picked over ones who had worse applications, even the PM's were stumped so they both tried again and both were picked up.

exNavyOffRec

I hear you. I really do want to fly. And I am putting in for intel as my backup to SNA. Last resort is SNFO. I've only taken the ASTB once (and took it will finishing my Master's comprehensive exam and thesis). I didn't study much, and the recruiting office suggeats not retaking it because I have postgraduate work, amongst other things going for me. You bring up a good point. Thank you. I will keep it in mind. I haven't applied to any boards yet. My frst will be the Jan SNA/SNFO.
What I would ask all my applicants and ask here is if you get picked for Intel will you be happy? if yes then keep pushing forward, if no then study and retake that ASTB.

NobleJ

SNA
8 years ago, still have friends doing it, some have moved into leadership positions and others are now civilian employees. It is interesting to hear how messed up some of the processes are now, many are avoiding the online boards as they don't want to let something out that can be seen as going against their command. When I started one of the other OR's that had good friend at NRC pulled data from 10 or so years back and looked at all the factors, we used that during out tours to figure out odds of applicants being selected and that data held true and still does. The processors would have me look at the kits and say who I thought would make it and who wouldn't, I was right over 90% of the time, there were a few I was wrong on that were odd as they weren't picked over ones who had worse applications, even the PM's were stumped so they both tried again and both were picked up.
Nice. Well thank you for hopping on here and sharing your wisdom with us. It's super helpful. 90% accuracy is impressive. Did you calculate in prior service experience?

NobleJ

SNA
What I would ask all my applicants and ask here is if you get picked for Intel will you be happy? if yes then keep pushing forward, if no then study and retake that ASTB.
Good question! I'd only be happy with intel if I knew there was no possible way for me to become an aviator.

I know its been some time since you recuited and might not know the answer to this question, but I am nearing my 32 birthday and don't think I will be commissioned by it (14JUN21) and am wondering about waivers. One person in another for is already 32 and got a waiver but hasn't responded to me yet. How do I convince my recruiter that the waiver is a real thing?

BDavis11

Contributor
I had a possession charge prior to AD. Almost ten years ago. Hopefully NAMI won't hit me with the whammy. considering I made it in the navy since.