• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24MAY2021 Pilot/NFO Board

Mike D.

Contributor
I am burning through Audiobooks at work right now. As fellow aspiring military aviators, I am curious what books you guys would recommend? Particularly in the themes of military, aviation, military aviation, and leadership. I get a lot out of biographies but I am not exclusive to them.

Here are some of my favorites:
Chickenhawk
By: Robert Mason
Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations
By: William H. McRaven
Aim Point: An Air Force Pilot's Lessons for Navigating Life
By: Bruce Hurd
Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed
By: Ben R. Rich , Leo Janos
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything
By: Chris Hadfield
Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
By: Jocko Willink , Leif Babin
The Big Stick: The Limits of Soft Power and the Necessity of Military Force
By: Eliot A. Cohen
The Things They Carried
By: Tim O'Brien
Kill Chain
By: Andrew Cockburn

What about podcasts? I really only listen to Vincent Aiello's 'The Fighter Pilot Podcast" and Jock Willink's podcast. Any other recommendations?
About face by colonel David hackworth and the clay pigeons of st lo

villo0692

Jocko recently had a podcast with Thomas Dzieren, a Polish Navy Seal....hilarious as well as informative

also, re reading Can’t Hurt me by David Goggins rn as well as Discipline is Freedom by Jocko

I listen to Falling to Pieces by Faith No More (the Black Hawk Down song) every time I go on a run

jono

I am burning through Audiobooks at work right now. As fellow aspiring military aviators, I am curious what books you guys would recommend? Particularly in the themes of military, aviation, military aviation, and leadership. I get a lot out of biographies but I am not exclusive to them.

Chickenhawk
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything
The Things They Carried
Kill Chain

What about podcasts? I really only listen to Vincent Aiello's 'The Fighter Pilot Podcast" and Jock Willink's podcast. Any other recommendations?

All good books! You should check out:
-Fighter Pilot by Robin Olds
-Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton
-Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton
-Kelly by Kelly Johnson
-Spaceman by Mike Massino

Mike D.

Contributor
Jocko recently had a podcast with Thomas Dzieren, a Polish Navy Seal....hilarious as well as informative

also, re reading Can’t Hurt me by David Goggins rn as well as Discipline is Freedom by Jocko

I listen to Falling to Pieces by Faith No More (the Black Hawk Down song) every time I go on a run
Strange how like-minded all of us can be pursuing a common goal.
Can’t hurt me is awesome

villo0692

Strange how like-minded all of us can be pursuing a common goal.
Can’t hurt me is awesome
i gotta be honest, a big part of what I'm looking for in going back to the military is things like....hey dude, get your ass up let's go on a 5 miler before class or.....let's fucking watch Top Gun Maverick while deployed on a carrier....or looking forward to giving each other's our call signs.....is not so much about the money or the flying part, but the brotherhood you join.....when I was enlisted we always had a tight group together in the avionics shop...but it was always interesting seeing the other groups, like the chiefs at drinking outside of the goat locker in Bahrain after a long shift, or all the officers (all pilots and fos since I was in a squadron) getting together as well

like minded people are often hard to find as a civilian

Mike D.

Contributor
i gotta be honest, a big part of what I'm looking for in going back to the military is things like....hey dude, get your ass up let's go on a 5 miler before class or.....let's fucking watch Top Gun Maverick while deployed on a carrier....or looking forward to giving each other's our call signs.....is not so much about the money or the flying part, but the brotherhood you join.....when I was enlisted we always had a tight group together in the avionics shop...but it was always interesting seeing the other groups, like the chiefs at drinking outside of the goat locker in Bahrain after a long shift, or all the officers (all pilots and fos since I was in a squadron) getting together as well

like minded people are often hard to find as a civilian
True that.

terraformer

Contributor
About face by colonel David hackworth and the clay pigeons of st lo
About face has been on my list for a while. I will definitely move it up. My Korean and Vietnam War history is very lacking.

All good books! You should check out:
-Fighter Pilot by Robin Olds
-Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton
-Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton
-Kelly by Kelly Johnson
-Spaceman by Mike Massino
Thanks! These sound sweet.

I will add the Goggins as my next motivational one.

My favorite episodes of Jocko are #69: David Berke - Marine Pilot and #221 - Jonny Kim -Navy Seal, Harvard Med, and Astronaut

mcap

Chickenhawk
The Things They Carried
Kill Chain

Race of Aces: WWII's Elite Airmen and the Epic Battle to Become the Master of the Sky - John Bruning
Dragon's Jaw - Barrett Tillman and Stephen Coonts
Dogfight Over Tokyo - John F. Wukovits
Devotion: An Epic Story of Heroism, Friendship, and Sacrifice - Adam Makos
Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16 - Dan Hampton

Coffee & JP8

If you are wanting a Fiction series from a retired Hornet Pilot, read the "Raven One" series by Kevin Miller.
He brings all of his experience from training, deployments and missions intertwined into the books. Theyre great and very descriptive.
He also did a Fiction book on WWII pilots from The Battle of Midway, called "The Silver Waterfall"