• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 DCO/DIRCOM boards: questions, answers, and discussion

GIJ316

Any thoughts/word on the Supply board this month?

I am very excited about the changes to my app this time. Finished my Ph.D. comps, job responsibility change that includes P&L, new LOR from the President of the company where I work, and several new interview feedback forms from Supply Community CAPT's.

Hopefully persistence pays off with this round. Wishing you all the best, and for all of us gray beards, more luck than most.

PapaK

Just wanted to follow up and share the news that I was officially sworn in today. This was the culmination of a many-year process for me, and today I have come to the end of that road, and the beginning of a new one. Thanks to all for your support, and to others who have this as a goal: GO FOR IT! There will be bumps along the way, but as you improve yourself, you will only become a better person for your efforts!

Congratulations, ENSIGN Das.

das

Contributor
No, only the IDC board...unfortunately I haven't heard anything on Supply...

GIJ316

I am told the results are posted for the Jan Supply Board. Any sees the list of the 20 selectd let us know.

das

Contributor
Apparently there were 177 applicants and 21 selects...congrats to all selected! Scuttlebutt is this board was looking for folks with contract experience, and that the next board will be a little less tightly focused.

X

xxxCharliexxx

Das,

I have waited a VERY long time to say this....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

It will be an honor serving with you!

To the others (just briefly read a few), it is a long wait. That process is intended to be a long wait. They want you to be hungry and stay hungry. Those that peter-out and give up along the way aren't meant for the program. So by design, they want to see if you have it in you to be persistent - they want Officers that never give up, that see the greater good in the process, and Officers that endure and perservere through it. Afterall, if it were easy to get in, would you really want in?

Everyone here has witnessed Das's long journey and for him, and now the real journey starts because he didn't give up. I don't think I have ever heard anyone going through this process say "wow, that was easy - I don't know what everyone was complaining about".

So, I know everyone has said it before but myself (took me two years) and Das are living proof - You can do it but it takes time....do NOT give up.

And to the guy that has to wait 6 months...I did too. Look at your package, find ANYTHING that can be "improved" in 6 months. If you have a bill that you had to claim as past due - pay it....so you can then say "within the last 6 months, I became debt free". If you got 3 more certificates now you can say "within the last six months since the board, I have become debt free, and worked hard to earn 3 more qualifications". If you cant see anything to "improve" - you aren't looking hard enough. How's that PT portion of the app? Not great? Get on a program so you can say "within the last six months, I have focused on my mental and physical toughness by earning three qualifications and completed my first half marathon and built up to Outstanding (Low, medium, or high) standards for the PFA (Physical Fitness Assessment" Got the PT under control? Add PT to it - didn't put swimming down? Well you want to be a sailor - learn to swim and FIND SOME SILLY RACE and compete in it - even at your local gym! So you can say you are a competitor in it. It looks great to say "I am performing at an Outstanding PFA standard and am a competitor in Men's (or in my case women's) free style swimming. Ok, got all the PT in...can't find anything else? Bull Sh*t. Volunteer! For everything....put the small things down too. Do a soup kitchen, deliver a meal. Know of a few bums on the local corner? Go buy them $1 cheeseburgers and feed them for a day. Poof - that's volunteering. Put it in!

Stack your resume with new things - that's the point - they want to see just how bad you want it and what you are willing to do to get it!

Now from what I recall, you submit your package again but only the "additional forms" gets sent in - they already have the rest. And you get one form (one paragraph really) to summarize how your package has changed from the previous one. Now it looks something like:

"Within the last six months, I have become 100% debt free, I have worked hard and earned 3 more "state the cert" qualifications", I have volunteered in my free time helping the homeless in my community by delivering meals, I have counseled and mentored new hires at my job, and I have become involved in competitive free-style swimming."

So, whenever you *think* you can't improve anything in 6 months - that's exactly what they want to hear...those people get weeded out. You can ALWAYS find way to improve yourself and that's what they want in Officers. That "Can do" attitude that they will know you can impress upon their enlisted members.

If you have any questions, feel free to IM me.

Best wishes,
Charlie

das

Contributor
Thanks Charlie!! Good to see you again, and hope all is well with you!

Paul Robichaux

I'm curious-- how much advance notice did it take to book your face-to-face interviews? I'm supposed to be interviewing this weekend but my recruiter says he can't confirm the interview times until Thursday. That makes me more than a bit nervous.

PapaK

Paul, that's cutting it really close since your packet has to be in about 30 days in advance of March 21 for INTEL.

Paul Robichaux

Yes, PapaK, that's why it's making me nervous! I am also waiting on some docs from my prior enlisted service. Interviews are valid for a year, so worst case I get the interviews now and miss the submission deadline because NARA didn't act on my SF180 fast enough. Hopefully (he said optimistically) everything will arrive in time!

kurowashi9

I would like to start off by saying Congrats to Das!!!! Good hanging in there!!! Charlie has hit everything on the head. Everyone should take a look at his post. I couldn't have said it better. ANYTHING that you can do to improve your packet from before, do so. Persistence is the key. All Navy boards, not just for officer look for key things like that. Improvements are the key. You should always take the premise as if there is always something that could be added to "break you out" Remember, especially in today's economy and political climate that there are a lot more competitors than there used to be, especially within the intelligence profession, whether those who are just here for the the love of the profession, those who are want-to-be career naval officers, or those who just want the Naval Intelligence Officer resume bullet. Non the less, no matter what an individual's intentions or reasons, they are still competitors. You still have a peer group who is going through the same processes as you and who are just as hungry, so you should always be looking for improvements to possibly "break you out" in addition to being persistant. And I speak from 19 years of enlisted and naval experience. I watch a lot of these postings and I really like what I see, everyone coming together for a common cause, offering tips to help the next person.

And I commend all of you. What I see within the chat rooms are the pennacle of "leadership". A perfect example are those who are still here offering help and suggestions and even the mistakes and experiences throughout there own process that could help someone else, even long after they have made it. Those are true character's of a naval officer. I think all of you exhibit that. Keep going........

If there is anything that I could offer or share that I have learned which has helped tremendously throughout my naval career, it is, "never take NO for an answer" and if you don't get selected when and as if you think you should, "make them give you a reason to tell you NO". From the looks of it, they are running out of reasons for some of you. PERSISTENSE is key......

If it makes anyone feel better, I am goiing through the same process and have been for a year and half now. I have been and are still through the non-selections, processor errors, and recruiter mishaps (oops did I say that?) and all of the bullcrap that comes with it. And I have been in this Navy for over 15 years. So no one is special here in the light that they are the only ones who get seemingly crapped over. It happens to all of us. Its all apart of the process. I think that when all said and done, you will value it more because of the struggle. I don't mean offense to anyone when I say this but, if you have been in the military before, officer or enlisted you should understand this and the process a little better than those who haven't.

But, I will say this. No matter how good or bad your selection package may be. A recruiter can MAKE or BREAK your package. So remember it is your career! I would advise don't just leave your career to the fate of someone else. Be sure to communicate with your recruiters and processors (respectfully). Be proactive! Take charge of your own career. Anticipation will help some. Try to stay a step ahead of the recruiter. But remember, they also have many other candidates and collateral jobs and duties that require time away from the office (CO, XO, PRT Coordinator...etc). And with the limited amount time they have to filter through hundreds of candidates to find the ones that exhibit the most potential for success. They have theirs, it is up to you to get yours. The faster and more accurate the package is assembled the bigger the buffer to iron out "snaff-foos". The better you understand the process and the navy in general, the better I think your selection experience will be. Take charge of your career!!

Remember...... "one of the most dangerous things in life is sincere IGNORANCE ......

Good luck everyone!!! I hope to see you all on the other side.

christie

I'm really appreciating charlie's and kurowashi9's advice. I'm considering going for one more round, but will need to put together a six-month plan based on what you guys are writing. Basically sign up for some races (5K, 10K, half-marathon/marathon) and get the leadership aspect covered. I'm thinking to apply to the September 2011 board (any word on that?). If this is going to be a reality, I'm going to have to make it happen. Cheers, and thanks for all your help!

PapaK

Christie, we're in the same boat. I have experienced a lot of snaffoos also. Case in point, I'm waiting to be assigned to a third recruiter. My process started in the summer of 2009. I was fortunate enough to meet with the OIC of my NIRR and after a long conversation and some great words of wisdom, I have decided to restructure my application for the September Boards. This is a marathon and not a sprint so I'm in for the long haul. Thanks for the advice from everyone. I'm going to get into some local races this summer and get my fitness to a point far better than now. I'm also reading as much as I can about the Navy. I found copies of the Navy Doctrine Publications. Shipmate (if I may dream a little) these papers have been a huge help. Please google and find copies. They will offer amazing insigths. Let's fight the good fight. I look forward to seeing us all commissioned.