• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 DCO/DIRCOM boards: questions, answers, and discussion

tsnoah

Just got off the phone with the recruiter. My package has been submitted for the March Intel boards.

Who else is submitted for the March Intel boards? Best of luck!

kurowashi9

Christie and anyone else weighing in on this, I would not "think" of giving it another run.... I WOULD give it another run!. I have a former OIC who revealed to me that she was actually picked up on her fifth time. And let me tell you, she was already serving, enlisted within the intelligence rate, and had a degree. She was very sharp and made an awesome mentor. I was shocked when she told me that. But she told me when she was giving me advise was not to quit. If you have a package that makes it before board each time whether its two or three, eventually something will happen (my opinion). Because one thing is for sure, as long as your package gets in front of the board each time, the board will be familiar with your name, and will look into the fact that this may be your third time and why you are not getting pick up. So that's why I say always improve your package. Don't get me wrong it is different for everyone. Some may get picked up on their second run, more power to them, but I have never heard of no one making DCO on the first try. And if that is so, its very rare. NOT SELECTED doesn't necessarily mean that your package was bad, its just that things are very competitive. If your package was not competitive, you would not even get a RIPOendorsement to go before the board. THROW IT AGAINST THE WALL UNTIL IT STICKS!!! (with improvements of course) Thats what my former Chief told me before he was picked up on his third try. And he was an intel Chief with over twelve years of experience. There may have been times that there are "strong possibles". So sometimes there would be a contingency board held , off set from the once a year national board, where they may find out that there is room for a few more to get selected, maybe they didn't meet quota or something...who knows.... This is where persistence counts. You just may be a strong possible from the last board and may be one of the numbers that they could pull through before the next national board. Keep submitting!!!

X

xxxCharliexxx

Charlie has hit everything on the head. Everyone should take a look at his post.

Charlie's a girl. Definitely a girl. ;-)

But thanks for the nod on the post. I am so encouraged by all of the "fight" I see in these posts. And you are right, this is what makes a great Officer. All of your relentlessness towards your goals are amazing.

To give some other advice on things I've thought about:

Recruiters - I changed recruiters after I didn't get picked up my first time. But I didn't change because I didn't get selected, i changed because he neglected to put in two very important (required) documents (RIPO endorsement and transcripts) so I felt I had to do as I was advised in these posts and take charge of my future Naval Career if I ever hoped of having one. That isn't a rip on my former recruiter, he just made a mistake - he's human. But I couldn't afford for him to make another one so I made the change. (By the way, your processor is a fierce friend in this process, treat him/her with respect and he can make mountains move).

Leadership proof/potential - You are all basically interviewing for a management position. Somewhere and somehow you have to show that you are ALREADY a leader and you have demonstrated this at some point. The DIRCOM program is basically designed to "skip" the leadership training (i.e. OCS - Officer Candidacy School where they would teach you how to become leaders) so you must be able to demonstrate to the board that you don't need that training because you have that qualification and training in your civilian career/life. If you aren't part of management in your civilian lives, that's ok. Take time to mentor new hires, be proactive and ask your supervisors/bosses for more responsibility or to be part of a new hire training team. Anything that you can show that you know how to guide and mentor others.

Other - Ok, I know this is not what anyone wants to hear but this one will require some serious work on your part. Find something to set yourself apart. Think of this process as a test. You get a score for everything you submit. Have an advanced degree? Oh, that gets you a couple points. Demonstrated leadership potential? Oh look, more points. Are you a PT nut? Ah, more points! So...what if let's say 80% of the submissions all have advanced degrees or education, demonstrated leadership potential and are amazing athletes? That leaves you with a large pool of applicants that you find yourself in with nothing separating you.
PapaK mentions learning about the Navy and Naval Traditions and Doctrines. He's learning about the Navy. What does the Navy need? What do they highly desire and seek in applicants and need to fight the war? Hmmm, language skill is one I can think of. Can you imagine how much the Navy spends to send people to DLI for language training for 18 months?!? Now, think about how desirable your application could become to them if you learned basic language skills in one of the critical languages (Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Urdu, etc). They even pay you extra pay if you test out in one of the critical languages - that's how important it is to the fight.

So, those are a few things that I think will help you all on your way. Christie, I'm so glad you aren't giving up. Keep pushing on, afterall, we expect nothing less from our enlisted so we must be able to do it ourselves. From what I have read, I know you all will make fine Naval Officers very soon! I'm proud of all of you and your hard work. Keep thinking about the day you finally get that call from your recruiter saying "you made it!" It makes it all worth it when you can finally call yourselves a "Naval Officer". (And by the way, I remember I whispered that to myself in disbelief after 2 years of waiting - "I'm a Naval Intelligence Officer!")

-Charlie (Still, and always, a girl)

cdb26

All, I just had my final interview with the OIC, which went pretty well IMHO. At this point, my application package is heading over to the Board. Whil I am hopeful for a pro rec, I know it is extremely competitive with all the talent out there. I wish everyone who is in for March all the best.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Were back in the waiting game. The hardest part of the whole process IMO. Good luck to everyone getting their packets in for March.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Charlie's a girl. Definitely a girl. ;-)

But thanks for the nod on the post. I am so encouraged by all of the "fight" I see in these posts. And you are right, this is what makes a great Officer. All of your relentlessness towards your goals are amazing.

+1 - Charlie's got it together...read & heed. BZ Charlie, and good luck to you all! :tiger_125

Charlie's Angel:angel_125
BzB

PapaK

Thanks Charlie, for your words of wisdom and encouragement. Especially, for making me feel that I'm not wating my time with the NDPs. I now have a new recruiter (my third) and moving forward. Thanks again, Charlie and Bravo Zulu! Best wishes to everyone. Keep us posted and share your experiences!

cdb26

Does anyone here know when we can expect to begin hearing about the Board decisions? I am under the impression it's March 24...

das

Contributor
Does anyone here know when we can expect to begin hearing about the Board decisions? I am under the impression it's March 24...

For DCO boards, the board decision is known as soon as the board is complete. The board issues a results letter, which then goes through a bunch of administrative processes and winds its way to Navy Recruiting Command, and then should be accessible to your recruiter. For the last three boards, results have been available anywhere from that Friday to early the next week. Some applicants said they still hadn't heard anything 2-3 weeks later, but the results were definitely out there. Bottom line is you should have an answer within a few days, tops, of the board being complete.

X

xxxCharliexxx

For DCO boards, the board decision is known as soon as the board is complete. The board issues a results letter, which then goes through a bunch of administrative processes and winds its way to Navy Recruiting Command, and then should be accessible to your recruiter. For the last three boards, results have been available anywhere from that Friday to early the next week. Some applicants said they still hadn't heard anything 2-3 weeks later, but the results were definitely out there. Bottom line is you should have an answer within a few days, tops, of the board being complete.

I found this to vary from recruiter to recruiter. Das is right, they have access to the results within roughly 2 days of the board convening....does that mean the recruiters know that it's been released and ready to look up? No, not necessarily. My advice is to keep looking at these forums, ONE guy/girl (previously, that "one" guy was always Das!) will post that they heard back from their recruiter and then you know it's available to the recruiters if they seek the information. Then I would call *once* (read: don't hound your recruiter) to see if your processor or recruiter can check for the results.

On a side note: I've found that if you don't get that call right away, usually your recruiter is trying to pull up the details of the board. If you aren't selected, they have access to a list of things to explain why your package was not accepted. Sometimes that list is detailed (missing transcript from 'X' school), and sometimes it's broad (did not display leadership abilities), etc. That way, when they do talk to you, they already have the information you need to proceed to get your next package approved.

-Charlie

cdb26

Das,

I appreciate your insight as to the notification process...while I'm now at the stage where I'll be thinking about this every day until selection, probably wracking my brain as a result, it's also exciting to finally have the package in and realize that I could be serving next to you and so many other great people in a few months' time. Thanks!

kurowashi9

Everyone, I apologize for being away for so long. I would like to wish everyone who frequently visits this forum, good luck on the upcoming boards for September 2011. I have limited access to email right now but if someone can twll me when the board actually meets that would be great. I am deployed forward so, this information would help a great deal. Thanks again and I hope to see all of you on the "other side" someday. GOOD LUCK!!!

das

Contributor
The board meets 19-22SEP11 and you should hear results within days. Good luck!