• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

18 SEP 18 IWC Board

AULANI

Yeah, it sucks. I'm actually in far better physical shape than I was back in my early twenties, but chronological age is the deciding factor. I wish I had started this a year or two ago.

I am, again, open to absolutely any idea that will eventually get me to Navy Intel. So it's good to hear that I may be a good fit for the CIA. I imagine that the Navy would take my application much more seriously with a few years at the Agency under my belt. Correct?

Of course, I'll still be applying for the Intel job for the November board. I'd like to think I'll still have some chance given my undergrad GPA, JD, OAR score, work and volunteering experience, interviews, etc.

Like I said earlier, who knows what the board is looking for. Of the other 1830's in my class, only one had some intel-type experience. You look like a strong candidate to me.

Law_to_1830

Like I said earlier, who knows what the board is looking for. Of the other 1830's in my class, only one had some intel-type experience. You look like a strong candidate to me.
Thank you very much!! I'll keep at it, then, and put in the best application possible in October (since my interview is still pending).

Spookcumber

Same. Only two with intel experience in my class. The total was about 40% priors (two IS, one GM, one undes, one aviation rate, and I can't remember what the other 3 were), and the other 60% of non-priors were a mix of all types of degrees and backgrounds.

Need advice (OAR)

Applied was Pro Rec N for the June 2018 IWC board, IP / SWO-IP. I am planning to submit a reconsideration package to this board with the following improvements:

• Obtained Security + Cert
  • In process of obtaining IW pin
  • Attended the DHS Cyber Security Summit in NYC
  • PIM eval "accomplishments from last 6 months"
  • Additional O5 IP / SWO interviews

Here is where I am stuck, my current OAR is a 47. The new instruction mandates a minimum of 50 waiverable to 45. I haven't been able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to study to where I would be comfortable retesting before this board. I am better off requesting the waiver and sticking with the 47 or cramming and gambling on maybe increasing my score (I have 2 remaining attempts).

Thanks in advance for any advice/insights.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Need advice (OAR)

Applied was Pro Rec N for the June 2018 IWC board, IP / SWO-IP. I am planning to submit a reconsideration package to this board with the following improvements:

Here is where I am stuck, my current OAR is a 47. The new instruction mandates a minimum of 50 waiverable to 45. I haven't been able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to study to where I would be comfortable retesting before this board. I am better off requesting the waiver and sticking with the 47 or cramming and gambling on maybe increasing my score (I have 2 remaining attempts).

Any real reason why you're not considering SWO or NFO?

Any real reason why you're not considering SWO or NFO?

I am considering SWO. However, my mentor and prior Commander is an IP officer and I was instructed if I wanted to be taken seriously for IP to only list IP and SWO-IP options. Since I am still within my 6 month window of the June 2018 board I am unable to add another designator. If not selected this round I will likely pursue a commission as a SWO.

wakefijw

I am considering SWO. However, my mentor and prior Commander is an IP officer and I was instructed if I wanted to be taken seriously for IP to only list IP and SWO-IP options. Since I am still within my 6 month window of the June 2018 board I am unable to add another designator. If not selected this round I will likely pursue a commission as a SWO.
Couldn’t you just submit a new application for SWO? I would apply for that but I turn 35 in November. I’ll apply next June when I finish my Masters if I’m not picked up then I’ll focus on LDO because there isn’t really much else I can do.

Spookcumber

Need advice (OAR)

Is this an either/or? Why not just submit for the next board and fully prepare yourself for the OAR instead of just gambling (the waiver is also gambling).

Is this an either/or? Why not just submit for the next board and fully prepare yourself for the OAR instead of just gambling (the waiver is also gambling).

I keep hearing persistence and consistency matter. I believe I have a solid package and with the improvements I have made, why would I skip applying to a board? I know I am essentially asking an unanswerable question - I think if any of us knew what the board would do we would use our powers to win the lotto. Just looking for some insights on what other applicants would do in this situation.

Spookcumber

Perhaps Rufio can shed some more light on this, but from what I've seen along with the people I have mentored (and remember reading on here) the IWC boards do not care about persistence. I know some of the LDO programs do, but that doesn't seem to be the trend with IWC boards. They care about your stats and your package. Your OAR and GPA are measurable items that they can weigh against the civilian applicants. I have seen some people with outstanding packages get denied because they have had a suboptimal OAR score. You have a decent GPA already...Why not give yourself the best shot by getting a decent OAR?

zoeth

Over 9000
That makes sense. I ran the numbers, and I don't think I could make ends meet on an E1 pay while providing for my family and paying off student loans. I may be obsessed with serving in the Navy, but I have to put my family first. I can't put my own wants ahead of their needs.

The enlistment bonus and loan repayment certainly sound interesting, but I hear horror stories about them not actually following through on that. So I think I'll keep the enlisted-to-officer route as my Plan C (Plan A being just getting accepted next board and Plan B being the CIA/FBI/NCIS-to-Navy route.) I'm a huge contingency planner, so I'm always happy to add another back-up plan. Thank you very much!

If I don't get into the Navy Intel officer program next time, I think I'll just push hard for the CIA or FBI. (I know the CIA likes language skills and the FBI likes law degrees.) If I get in, then I plan to transfer to the Navy as soon as I can.

You wouldn't start as an E-1 you would be an E-3 out of bootcamp because you have more than enough college credits. Furthermore with your qualifications (and taking the ASVAB) you could qualify for some high-end rates such at ATI, CT, ET, etc. Most of these are "Push-Button" E-4 out of A/C School. So realistically you could be an E-5 in <2 years. If you continued to work hard and get top Evals, you could make E-6 in another 1.5 and then push for LDO/Warrant Officer when eligible for Chief.

*Also there is NOTHING wrong with Enlisted. Enlisted personnel are amazing people and there is a lot of pride and honor to be found amongst those rates. Navy Chiefs are some of the most respected and motivational people in all of the military services and most of the best officers I knew as an enlisted person were those that learned from and listened to their Chiefs.

Just my .02

Edit* you would also get the Post 9/11 GI Bill for any college in the future.

AULANI

@strickladln Dude, if I were you I'd work on getting that score up.

@zoeth Don't you need at least a 50 for CW?

I was left alone in the recruiters office the last 3 days and the only thing I've been doing is administering the OAR. About 3 people a day came in to take it, for some it was their second attempt. Every single one scored less than 40. I was so surprised. Did they change the test or something?

zoeth

Over 9000
@strickladln Dude, if I were you I'd work on getting that score up.

@zoeth Don't you need at least a 50 for CW?

I was left alone in the recruiters office the last 3 days and the only thing I've been doing is administering the OAR. About 3 people a day came in to take it, for some it was their second attempt. Every single one scored less than 40. I was so surprised. Did they change the test or something?

It's 50+ for Intel according to the new PA,
45+ with a 50 'preferred' for CW.
But you are right the new PA did up all the IW requirements, (I think IP is 50+ now too)

I crushed the math and comp section, I got smoked by the mechanical portion for some reason. All the levers, gear, pulleys etc that I had studied weren't even on there. I remember one question asking me in which direction a 'band of metal' (illustrated by a grey stripe on the screen) would bend when heated. A. Left B. Right. C. Down. D. Up.

I had NO idea. (guessed up)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Perhaps Rufio can shed some more light on this, but from what I've seen along with the people I have mentored (and remember reading on here) the IWC boards do not care about persistence. I know some of the LDO programs do, but that doesn't seem to be the trend with IWC boards. They care about your stats and your package. Your OAR and GPA are measurable items that they can weigh against the civilian applicants. I have seen some people with outstanding packages get denied because they have had a suboptimal OAR score. You have a decent GPA already...Why not give yourself the best shot by getting a decent OAR?

STEM focused degree and a high GPA are good steps to getting selected. If you don't have a STEM degree, you better have a very high GPA. One girl on here had a 4.0 in English get selected. Another one had a 3.8 in Criminal Justice.