• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17NOV21 SWO Board

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I'll be applying to this board. I threw my application together pretty late to get in for this board and my recruiter has been great to work with although I've still got to squeeze in a trip to MEPS in sometime this week cause they were full last week. Only had two weeks to prepare for the OAR/ASTB on top of school and clubs to run so if I don't get picked up this time around I'll shrug it off and look forward to being better prepared for another go with hopefully a better GPA & OAR.

My stats:
GPA: 2.8 - World Politics
OAR: 42
No prior service
LOR's: USCG O-4 (Ret), former cross country coach (also fmr. state assembly speaker), university professor.
OAR is just a ticket to the dance. GPA is rough.

I would say a lower than average chance. Your GPA is your biggest drawback.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
My application got rolled over from the previous board.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.81
Major: Biomedical Engineering w/ Mechanical Eng. emphasis
OAR: 62
Prior Service: No

I feel good about my chances but I am hoping my application will be viewed this time around as I am not getting any younger.
Better than average chance. Fantastic GPA and solid major.

Also, at 25, you're not that old. You're still young enough to apply even to the Marine Corps OCS.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Dude, I already know you're going to say something along the lines of "I would say a lower than average chance." so I'll save you the effort, agree with you, and take a chance either way.
Well, depending on your major, your chance could be average. Say, for something STEM related.

Then you have to take into account if SWO is pulling the "We only want people who put SWO as #1", as @exNavyOffRec has stated has been popular in the past.

It's a variety of information, but GPA and degree(s) are the most important factors for SWO.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
If I listened to anyone's opinion about applying then I wouldn't be here. Give it a shot. Nobody's opinion really matters when you're marching down Elliot Avenue on graduation Friday.
100%.

By the way, I'm 33. Accepted at 32 with an age waiver. Will be graduating OCS 2 months before my 34th birthday.

Don't be too hard on yourself about your age. As long as they don't hold the OAR waiver against you, your GPA, TIS, and quals will likely give you a good shot.

100%.

By the way, I'm 33. Accepted at 32 with an age waiver. Will be graduating OCS 2 months before my 34th birthday.

Don't be too hard on yourself about your age. As long as they don't hold the OAR waiver against you, your GPA, TIS, and quals will likely give you a good shot.
I'm hoping already being in Newport helps increases my stock as well.

Ssbranch1

FLGROWN22
Does anyone know if those who are not graduated yet will get an ocs date if they get a ProRec yes? I will graduate in December but obviously the board will meet before that

100%.

If I don't get picked up off this board I'll definitely apply again next cycle hopefully with an improved OAR score. When I took it back in March I didn't have much time to study for it. Narrowing down close to the deadline I didn't want to rush into taking it again and run my chances at the board given the solid package I believe to already have.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
PS @WorldWar33.3, like @TheUnderDog, if I had listened to all the people who told me not to apply, I'd be staying at my dead end job for the next 3-5 years to get enough experience to work another crap job for 5-7 years and maybe a $15k salary bump.

If you don't get picked up here, retake the OAR after studying a bit. If you can bump that 49 to a 55+, you'll be a stronger applicant.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Does anyone know if those who are not graduated yet will get an ocs date if they get a ProRec yes? I will graduate in December but obviously the board will meet before that
I'm pretty sure that you won't get a date until you actually have your degree as that's a requirement for OCS.

JB123

@NavyOCSHopeful what is the age limit/max for most, if not all, Marine Corps accession programs? I was thinking if I don’t get in this time around that i would try a different service branch, marines being my second choice. I’ve already been rejected by the NUPOC program. I did well on my first interview but choked on interviews 2 and 3. I got invited back for another try out, which apparently doesn’t happen often for college grads, but I elected to apply for a different community in hopes of expediting the commission selection process. Oh boy was I ever wrong. At least the committee members who coordinate the nuke school boards hold interviews every month as opposed to waiting what seems like 3-4 month intervals for your app to be reviewed by a board on top of waiting another 4-6 weeks to find out if you’ve been accepted into the program! My ultimate goal is to become an officer for the armed services regardless of role, so any advice or wisdom you could impart would be much appreciated.