• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17NOV21 SWO Board

Ssbranch1

FLGROWN22
Hello, I will be applying for this board. Stats are:
GPA: 3.89 -Finance major
OAR: 52
No prior service
No waivers
LOR: 1 from employer, 1 from Army LT Colonel, 1 from Navy Commander
Also applying for Supply
Would like to know what you guys think my chances are

DCman1018

Hello, I will be applying for this board. Stats are:
GPA: 3.89 -Finance major
No prior service
No waivers
LOR: 1 from employer, 1 from Army LT Colonel, 1 from Navy Commander
Also applying for Supply
Best of luck to you. From my perspective your stats sound excellent.

Hello, I will be applying for this board as well. Stats are:
GPA: 3.1- Economics major
No prior service
1 Medical waiver
LOR: 1 from Fire Chief (employer), 1 from EMS Captain (employer)

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

No prior service
1 Medical waiver
Medical waivers have no bearing as the board only looks at your professional items, so you don't need to let people know you have a medical waiver, other waivers do come into play.

No prior service
1 Medical waiver
Hey!! I just found out today that I was selected and I have the exact same major and a similar GPA along with age. I also scored a 52 on the OAR! I did have some strong recommendations from retired and active duty SWOs. I think you have a good chance though!

DCman1018

Medical waivers have no bearing as the board only looks at your professional items, so you don't need to let people know you have a medical waiver, other waivers do come into play.
What limiting factors do other waiver hold? If you don't mind elaborating on that. Time in service...age..oar?

GPA: 3.34
OAR: 39
9 years prior service
Recommendation letters: 06, 05, 04
Appraisals: 06, 05 and 05, all 9s

Waivers: OAR, TIS and age. Might not have a strong chance but here we are...

Good luck everyone.

HE2000

I'll be applying to this board. I threw my application together pretty late to get in for this board and my recruiter has been great to work with although I've still got to squeeze in a trip to MEPS in sometime this week cause they were full last week. Only had two weeks to prepare for the OAR/ASTB on top of school and clubs to run so if I don't get picked up this time around I'll shrug it off and look forward to being better prepared for another go with hopefully a better GPA & OAR.

My stats:
GPA: 2.8 - World Politics
OAR: 42
No prior service
LOR's: USCG O-4 (Ret), former cross country coach (also fmr. state assembly speaker), university professor.

Last edited:

JB123

My application got rolled over from the previous board.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.81
Major: Biomedical Engineering w/ Mechanical Eng. emphasis
OAR: 62
Prior Service: No

I feel good about my chances but I am hoping my application will be viewed this time around as I am not getting any younger.

JB123

@exNavyOffRec How much do letters of recommendation weigh in the selection decision for this designation? In prior SWO board threads, you mentioned that the committee briefly scans through motivational statements. Are LORs treated the same way? Are they viewed at all in most cases for civilian candidates who obviously do not have any appraisals? I am a bit concerned because I have been out of college for 2 full years now so I wasn't able to get in touch with any of my college professors. Thus, I had to ask my current employer for a LOR and he did not seem too thrilled by my potential departure. I would say this is the weakest element of my package as it is one I didn't have much control over than I would've liked.

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec How much do letters of recommendation weigh in the selection decision for this designation? In prior SWO board threads, you mentioned that the committee briefly scans through motivational statements. Are LORs treated the same way? Are they viewed at all in most cases for civilian candidates who obviously do not have any appraisals? I am a bit concerned because I have been out of college for 2 full years now so I wasn't able to get in touch with any of my college professors. Thus, I had to ask my current employer for a LOR and he did not seem too thrilled by my potential departure. I would say this is the weakest element of my package as it is one I didn't have much control over than I would've liked.

They are looked at for designators like SWO, but they need to be meaningful and make quick impact, someone that has seen you perform over a period of time is best, ideally you want you GPA and degree to stand out so they don't do much digging.