• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

13 Officers kicked out of Marines including Adam Ballard

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The reason they make you sign stuff is not to magically prevent all misconduct, it is so you can be brought up on charges for ART 92, disobeying order/regulation if a problem comes up. It makes it easier if there is a signed acknowledgement that you were 100% aware of the order/regulation.

...and "false official statement," to be more on point. Not knowing a regulation isn't a defense for breaking it.

Regardless, the signed statement bit is taken to ridiculous extremes nowadays. I wrote that my plans this weekend were to mow the lawn. Instead, I cleaned the garage. Now I've just commited a crime. How about I decided to get plowed and drive home? Well, I knew no one was going to sign off my ORM sheet on THAT...

You knew it was wrong. You did it anyway. That's plenty of basis for charges, paperwork or not.

Everyone knows what gouge is and what cheating is. If someone tells you what to know or what to study, it's gouge. If someone tells you the answers, it's cheating. Pretty simple. Don't need a written statement to figure that out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone knows what gouge is and what cheating is. If someone tells you what to know or what to study, it's gouge. If someone tells you the answers, it's cheating. Pretty simple. Don't need a written statement to figure that out.
And that sums up the thread into 50 words or less.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And that sums up the thread into 50 words or less.
Please reference post #40 on this thread ... perhaps not '50 words or less' ... but it still gives a 'preview' of the rest of the ''blah, blah, blah'' and the summation.

You're welcome.

PegasusFound

I attended TBS in 1970-71. I also had previously attended the Naval Academy. I ran the Land Nav with my roommate 2nd Lt J*** C******. At the time we ran it there were constant rumors that some had the answers. We ran while on the course the entire time. When we finished there was no one at the finish line to clock us in. After several minutes one of the supervising officers chatting at a picnic table a quarter klik away wandered over and asked why we had returned. When we replied that we had finished he went into panic. We set a record that day. Years later it was still the time to beat. Whether it still is or the course has changed I do not know. I do know we were grilled afterwards for days as to how we set the record and I realized that they were looking into the possibility that we had cheated. The good thing was that my roommate was such a straight shooter that they had to give up. I on the other hand had been enjoying my new found evening freedoms and had openly questioned our leader in public forum as to why they were removing monies without our permission from our paychecks to fund the Officer's Club dues when almost no one ever went there or even knew it existed. I think after that we had one command required function there. Not how to make a lot of friends with your superiors. I recall my platoon commander P*** H******* tightening the lease for a few days. I realized how shat truly does flow downhill even in the Marines. Go figure. P*** got the dubious honor of presenting me with several military awards about five years later after I had returned to being a civilian. He was a professional and a gentleman about it.

I am saddened by the disclosure that so many cheated on this important test. It detracts from those of us who did it right. Some of whom maybe did not set records or failed but still chose not to cheat. I concur that the Commandant did the right thing. We live in a world of cheats and frauds succeeding. If the Marines won't hold the line who will? No one.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I am saddened by the disclosure that so many cheated on this important test. It detracts from those of us who did it right. Some of whom maybe did not set records or failed but still chose not to cheat. I concur that the Commandant did the right thing. We live in a world of cheats and frauds succeeding. If the Marines won't hold the line who will? No one.

I think Ballard is greatly exaggerating (lying). When I was there three years ago I was not aware of anyone cheating like he describes, and I did not have my head in the sand. They were also very specific about the penalties for cheating. Is it possible that things changed drastically in three years? Sure. But I doubt it.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I think Ballard is greatly exaggerating (lying). When I was there three years ago I was not aware of anyone cheating like he describes, and I did not have my head in the sand. They were also very specific about the penalties for cheating. Is it possible that things changed drastically in three years? Sure. But I doubt it.

If someone is willing to cheat, they are probably willing to lie, too.

PegasusFound

I did not see anyone cheat on that course or any other when I was there in the 1970's. However there were rumors that people had the answers and previous classes had cheated. Were they ever caught? I don't know. According to the article Ballard had an honor violation at the Academy and had failed several courses yet he graduated. Perhaps the Academy is not what it used to be and is assisting cheaters and failures now in an attempt to win football games? Perhaps after the Superintendent of the Naval Academy looked the other way and failed to do his job the Commandant of the Marine Corps finally said "NO MAAS" to cheaters?

PegasusFound

After reflecting for several days I have changed my mind about the Commandant's decision. Ballard will just move to the NFL and collect a bigger paycheck. Perhaps it would have been better to bust all of the cheaters back to Private, send them off to boot camp and have them serve out their obligation as Privates cleaning latrines? Now that would be justice.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After reflecting for several days....
Groovy.

Next time you 'reflect' for several days ... how 'bout putting something more meaningful than 'none' on your bio page if you want to continue to comment on issues that 'stir the pot' ...

And NO, we don't want your name, rank & serial # (and you know that) -- but you evidently feel you have the gravitas to come on the website as a completely new, unknown, untested member (you registered/joined 4 days ago) and name names (which I deleted -- that was very bad form of you to drop names that are not in the public domain) ... yet you choose to put nothing on your own page to give weight or 'credence' to anything you might have to say ... save for the all inclusive and non-descriptive 'none' ???

Put something generic relating to your service or experience on your bio page until you've established yourself herein -- at least something other than "none'' ...

Roger that???

Groovy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After reflecting for several days I have changed my mind about the Commandant's decision. Ballard will just move to the NFL and collect a bigger paycheck. Perhaps it would have been better to bust all of the cheaters back to Private, send them off to boot camp and have them serve out their obligation as Privates cleaning latrines? Now that would be justice.

Because commissioned officers can magically be made privates and sent to boot camp, right. I find what they did as retarded and as worthy as punishment as the next person, but as a fellow officer, you would know that this is stupid. Besides, even if you could do that, Ballard would be the only one who (unless there are rocket surgeons among the other 12) who would stand to lose a lot in potential earnings.

PegasusFound

Groovy.

Next time you 'reflect' for several days ... how 'bout putting something more meaningful than 'none' on your bio page if you want to continue to comment on issues that 'stir the pot' ...

Your attack in bold type is ridiculous. Why don't you also type in "all caps" to assist in intimidating and bullying posters here that might think differently than you do, sport? I saw you deleted the names days ago and that was fine as I had never posted here before. Your attack days later after I posted something different on a dead thread obviously upset you. Whether I place any information in my profile to give "credence" or not is really up to me and not some bully poster like yourself. Are you the thought police?

CLEAR? CRYSTAL? Groovy

My point is that all of these people had lengthy service obligations that they are getting to walk away from with perhaps a bill from the government. Will they then run to bankruptcy court to discharge the financial obligation? I don't know whether or not they can do that but it seems that they are getting off light for the damage they did to the rest of the Marine Corps and Naval Academy. In Ballards case this is actually a boon for him as he can now go pro. He is not the first athlete to celebrate getting booted from the service with a pro contract. Maybe they should kick all of the good athletes out and void their service obligations for them so that they can reap the financial rewards of pro contracts? Serving out their obligation in some form or other is not that far fetched. Get booted from the Naval Academy in your last two years or NAPS and see where you end up. You are not returned to civilian life until your obligation is served. It isn't served as an officer.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After reflecting ... your attack in bold type is ridiculous ... sport ...CLEAR? CRYSTAL? Groovy
Groovy.

Attack?? You flatter me.

I think you have me confused w/ someone else or another website, perhaps ???? A
ge can do that - and a mind is a terrible thing to lose. You've only posted 5 times -- all on this thread and the only exception(s) I took to your 'stuff' was naming others (I edited out their names) and no bio. The bio page is/was a simple request and one that probably 99% of Air Warriors members willingly comply with ... and it's got nothin' to do w/ 'what I think'. The 'soft requirement' is there to vet members who are 'newish' and especially those who come on laying smack down in all their 'newness' -- kinda' like you. It's all because we've had too many trouble-makers who like to 'stir the pot' but are vague on their own background/history. We've also discovered that when someone doesn't WANT to put anything in there -- it's usually for a reason. You're a new guy, so you fit the mold. Or is it the mole ... ???

The solution would have been really simple: put something generic on your bio page so we can 'get to know you' better as you participate on the website and establish 'street cred'. But instead, you chose the 'fuck you' approach ... well done, if I may say so ...

You don't want to play by the 'rules'?? Fine: buh-bye for a month or so ... ''sport''. Ahhhhh, hell ... why don't we just make it two months??

You said you occasionally 'reflect' on things. So 'reflect' on this: I ALWAYS type in bold ... 'cause it's easier on the ol' eyes and I don't have to use cheaters as a result ... bet you feel pretty silly -- picking on an ol' man and his weak eyes.

Good start on Air Warriors ... we're all rooting for you. Or is it routing ... ???

Pariel

So, can anyone tell me what a rocket surgeon is, and how I get that job? Sounds fun.

/thread-jack-and-mild-amusement