• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

11JUL17 Pilot/NFO board

Angel17

All,
I have attached the most current July 11th board participants that I have gathered from this thread and the Google Drive document floating around. I realize that this is not everyone on the board but I created it for reference so please take a look when you have a chance.
- Angel

Attachments

• July 11 2017 Aviation Board Participants.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 150

Carina

Good

Good choice in my opinion, if you want to be a pilot, no sense in applying for both. Save the NFO till you run out if age or just want to serve.
Thank you! that is the plan, but I can't lie it makes me that much nervous to know all my hope is on one designation! But I really want it so lets see. A month is tooooooo long to wait haha

Carina

All,
I have attached the most current July 11th board participants that I have gathered from this thread and the Google Drive document floating around. I realize that this is not everyone on the board but I created it for reference so please take a look when you have a chance.
- Angel
very cool! thanks for this! and best of luck. I am listed there as both but I decided last min to do only SNA, idk if you want to update

Cgunner91

Supply Corps
Hey, all. SNA/NFO hopeful checking in. Application was submitted yesterday and on its way to the July board. My situation is probably unique in that I spent a year and a half at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Bombed a few engineering classes while there which is why my GPA is still low (my current obstacle). I ended up performing decently on the ASTB which my recruiter mentioned can (hopefully) counterbalance a poor GPA. I've performed an average of a 3.0 GPA since leaving, which I attempted to explain was more reflective of my current aptitude. I guess this makes me a "zoomie" traitor!

Last edited:

Carina

Hey, all. SNA/NFO hopeful checking in. Application was submitted yesterday and on its way to the July board. My situation is probably unique in that I spent a year and a half at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Bombed a few engineering classes while there which is why my GPA is still low (my current obstacle). I ended up performing decently on the ASTB which my recruiter mentioned can (hopefully) counterbalance a poor GPA. I've performed an average of a 3.0 GPA since leaving, which I attempted to explain was more reflective of my current aptitude. I guess this makes me a "zoomie" traitor!

welcome to the group! and best of luck! :)

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
Hey everyone! Nice to meet you and best of luck to you all. I'm Demi and I'm located in Orlando. I've been in this process for a year now and I'm really excited to have my packet submitted to the board finally. My stats are below:
  • Applying: SNFO
  • B.A.: Anthropology, May 2015
  • GPA: 3.65
  • ASTB: 56, 5/5/5
  • Interviews: O-6, O-5
  • LORs: O-9, 0-5, 0-5, 0-3, Dr (boss)
I went to my flight physical two weeks ago and found out my right eye is farsighted, even outside of the range of being acceptably correctable, disqualifying me from being an SA. Pretty heartbreaking, but I am exciting to have a seemingly okay chance at becoming a SNFO. However, I had some minor medical issues in 2013 (caused me to be medically dis-enrolled right before commissioning out of Army ROTC) that came up during my flight physical. I have submitted the paperwork and waiting for the final approval from NAMI. I'm not particularly hopeful on that end even though it isn't something listed in the waiver book, but we'll see.

If I get ProRec'ed but NAMI disqualifies me before going to OCS, I will have to reapply to a new board all over again (as opposed to be re-designated to a new branch, which would happen if I'm already at OCS). I feel like I'm rolling the dice since NAMI can apparently take months and months to give a decision, meaning I could already have my OCS date before being told I have to start from scratch. Anyway, that's where I'm at- fingers crossed!

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Hey everyone! Nice to meet you and best of luck to you all. I'm Demi and I'm located in Orlando. I've been in this process for a year now and I'm really excited to have my packet submitted to the board finally. My stats are below:
  • Applying: SNFO
  • B.A.: Anthropology, May 2015
  • GPA: 3.65
  • ASTB: 56, 5/5/5
  • Interviews: O-6, O-5
  • LORs: O-9, 0-5, 0-5, 0-3, Dr (boss)
I went to my flight physical two weeks ago and found out my right eye is farsighted, even outside of the range of being acceptably correctable, disqualifying me from being an SA. Pretty heartbreaking, but I am exciting to have a seemingly okay chance at becoming a SNFO. However, I had some minor medical issues in 2013 (caused me to be medically dis-enrolled right before commissioning out of Army ROTC) that came up during my flight physical. I have submitted the paperwork and waiting for the final approval from NAMI. I'm not particularly hopeful on that end even though it isn't something listed in the waiver book, but we'll see.

If I get ProRec'ed but NAMI disqualifies me before going to OCS, I will have to reapply to a new board all over again (as opposed to be re-designated to a new branch, which would happen if I'm already at OCS). I feel like I'm rolling the dice since NAMI can apparently take months and months to give a decision, meaning I could already have my OCS date before being told I have to start from scratch. Anyway, that's where I'm at- fingers crossed!

Good Luck! I would love to hear the story behind the O-9 LOR...

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
Good Luck! I would love to hear the story behind the O-9 LOR...
Thank you, good luck to you as well! My dad retired as a 0-6 in the USMC (f-18 pilot). The o-9 is a good family friend who continued duty after my dad left and who also happened to be my softball coach growing up. I keep hearing the board doesn't even really read the LORs (?) but hopefully it counts for something!

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Thank you, good luck to you as well! My dad retired as a 0-6 in the USMC (f-18 pilot). The o-9 is a good family friend who continued duty after my dad left and who also happened to be my softball coach growing up. I keep hearing the board doesn't even really read the LORs (?) but hopefully it counts for something!

Oh that's really cool! Must be nice to be able to hear the experiences of such high ranking guys. Kind of gives you something to strive for and the amount of knowledge they have must be extensive to say the least!

Demi Durkin

OCS Applicant
Oh that's really cool! Must be nice to be able to hear the experiences of such high ranking guys. Kind of gives you something to strive for and the amount of knowledge they have must be extensive to say the least!
It is, I definitely feel lucky to even know my dad! After my experience at NAS JAX for my flight physical, he's convinced that neither him or any of the guys he flew with who were great fighter pilots could pass the eye exam now. One of his buddies who joined in 2003 flew F-18s for 10 years with 3 tours left the USMC in 2013, joined the AF in 2015, and his eyes were only good enough to fly drones...with glasses on. Crazy.

exNavyOffRec

well, not really since they don't even look at them, it is all about the ASTB.

Carina

well, not really since they don't even look at them, it is all about the ASTB.
Kind of sucks when most of us work hard in putting a package together, for just one thing to be looked at lol. But then I look at previous boards and see that some people with what seems to be perfect ASTB scores don't get in, or get something they did not pick.

RocketManDom

Kind of sucks when most of us work hard in putting a package together, for just one thing to be looked at lol. But then I look at previous boards and see that some people with what seems to be perfect ASTB scores don't get in, or get something they did not pick.

Yeah I am intrigued at how they make their selection. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the board convenes haha.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

It's a rookie recruiter move to tell a pilot/NFO applicant to try to submit a polish product. Boards really care about the ASTB followed by the GPA. Once you take the ASTB and get high scores, just focus on getting the rest of your application done.