• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

11APR2022 SWO Board

Bigboss1738

Hey Y all didn't get in this was my 2nd attempt at SWO
I m a civilian I'm 27
28 next year
Gpa 3.06
Oar 45
I ve used all my attempts.
I m starting my masters in Food science online
Bachelors in forensic chemistry
Graduated college 3 years ago
6 years working with federal agency in a lab

Enlisting the pay isn't worth it from what I'm making now.
Reserves I feel I won't make officer
As it ll take a year to even clear boot and training I'm 29 in Jan of 2024
Please advise below

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I m a civilian I'm 27
28 next year
Gpa 3.06
Oar 45

Please advise below
What did your recruiter say? Could it have been your motivational statement? Did you have any civil waivers to submit?

Bigboss1738

For my vision and my hearing at meps medical wise

My recruiter said she write me a good recommendation letter
I had a letter from an E 7 and
A letter from the director of my forensic lab
My motivational statement was solid

Bigboss1738

What did your recruiter say? Could it have been your motivational statement? Did you have any civil waivers to submit?
My recruiter said I could apply for a 3rd time in 6 months but that it s unlikely to change. I don't mind doing reserves but from a money perspective it doesn't make sense.
I was only medically cleared for navy only the navy will consider me. All other branches will not take me. I was finally medically cleared at meps at 25 took me 3 years to get waivers

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My recruiter said I could apply for a 3rd time in 6 months but that it s unlikely to change. I don't mind doing reserves but from a money perspective it doesn't make sense.
I was only medically cleared for navy only the navy will consider me. All other branches will not take me. I was finally medically cleared at meps at 25 took me 3 years to get waivers

I don’t think you can do that until you can improve your OAR (which I assume is the problem here), GPA or pursue a masters.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I don’t think you can do that until you can improve your OAR (which I assume is the problem here), GPA or pursue a masters.
I think he used all of his attempts for the oar. Do Lee the board look at medical waivers if you’ve been cleared by the waiver authority? I didn’t think look medical waivers like. He might have to pursue his masters like you mentioned earlier.

exNavyOffRec

I m a civilian I'm 27
28 next year
Gpa 3.06
Oar 45

Please advise below
You have an "eh" GPA, your best bet is to work on that Master's, get a few terms under your belt and give it another go. I am guessing nothing changed between boards 1 and 2?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Being that you tested out of the OAR, not much you can do other than boost the low ish GPA and/or pursue a masters degree to improve your odds. SWO boards take the OAR and GPA seriously into account.

Another option… if your overall goal is to serve in some sort of capacity maybe consider enlisting in the reserve? You can still acquire a skill and not leave your $120K job. Over time if you make the right moves it’s possible you may be competitive for a reserve (direct) officer commission.

Bigboss1738

Thank you all for the advice. Few more last questions
If I do the reserve would while I'm in basic and whatever technical training for My Rate would my spouse get bha to cover for rent even I'm in reserves

This is while I would be in training and basic

Also if my masters is in food science is there any direct commission and say I kill it in grad school 4.0 would they average out my undergrad how does that work?

Thank you much appreciated
I am interested in eventually going for forensic toxicology

Is there anything in the navy enlisted rate reserves that is food science related or toxicology

I'm more interested in benefits
If my wife joins someone has to watch the kids right 1 person can't be active and 1 in reserves. She s finishing her pharmacy schooling

I Currently work for a well known chocolate company doing quality analysis on a well known brand it s a nice gig but I long for the day of not going home smelling like chocolate

Happy memorial day Thank you for your time

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Thank you all for the advice. Few more last questions
If I do the reserve would while I'm in basic and whatever technical training for My Rate would my spouse get bha to cover for rent even I'm in reserves

This is while I would be in training and basic

Also if my masters is in food science is there any direct commission and say I kill it in grad school 4.0 would they average out my undergrad how does that work?

Thank you much appreciated
I am interested in eventually going for forensic toxicology

Is there anything in the navy enlisted rate reserves that is food science related or toxicology

I'm more interested in benefits
If my wife joins someone has to watch the kids right 1 person can't be active and 1 in reserves. She s finishing her pharmacy schooling

I Currently work for a well known chocolate company doing quality analysis on a well known brand it s a nice gig but I long for the day of not going home smelling like chocolate

Happy memorial day Thank you for your time
1. Bah would be determine based on your zip code. You will only get bah while on active orders during basic and a school, your bah turns off in the reserves.

2.This is what I’ve been told. Yes, they will do a “cumulative GPA of undergrad and bachelors.”

3. Food science related/ toxicity.. Not exactly

Both of y’all could be active or reserves, it doesn’t matter just as long as you have a family care plan in place. If your spouse decides to go active and you stay reserves, it would be no different if you were picked up for OCS and she stayed home, or worked in the civilian work force.

Reserves has good part time benefits as well, and you typically will be paying a cheaper rate with tri -care than.

Reserves: 1 weekend a month and two weeks out of the year.

Here are our rates: