• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Yeah you're right, it says that in the service agreement. I had never noticed that. I always assumed it was just by semester.

What happens if you just have an absolutely terrible semester for whatever reason but keep your cumulative high? Great Lakes? I'm kinda surprised. Although I guess zachman was okay. He's probably right-- case by case.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I've never heard of that happening. I think it would take extraordinary circumstances for a BDCP guy to go to Great Lakes before even arriving to OCS. If one were to have a horrible semester they could avoid a lot of trouble by keeping their recruiter informed.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
My horrible quarter came from overloading on Physics and Math (2 upper level phys, 2 upper level math) with no "buffer" classes. I did poorly in my math classes but that was easily the hardest I ever worked for school. I think I was okay because it was just under 2.7 and my cumulative was still at 3.2 or something. However, if you absolutely fvck up and get a 1.0-2.0, I could see them bagging your ass.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
You get one freebie if you royally f*ck up a semester. Your options are to change your major, NEVER get a bad GPA again or go to Great Lakes. Don't play around with this.

UGA

BDCP SNA
I'm in this situation right now. I pulled a 2.4 this semester. It really snuck up on me too. I started the semester off with all A's and B's and figured that I could coast through the rest of the semester, seeing as I had already reached my goal of getting into the program and all A's seemed a bit tacky. Big mistake. Now I've been told have have to have a sit down with my CO and my recruiter has been of no help because he has been in OCS for over a month and new one has yet to be assigned to me. My cummulated GPA is still a 3.5, however, so I'm hoping they will let this slide with a "Don't f*ck up again." The last month has been absolute hell worrying about Great Lakes and I have still don't know when I'm going to meet with my CO. Any words of advice from someone who has been in my Shoes?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Yeah, I've been there and I did a lot worse than you did. Was finishing up my third year of Aerospace Engineering (read Fluid dynamics, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations and Engineering Physics III). Ended up with C's across the board (and one C-) (sub 2.0 semesterly GPA, but had a 3.1 cumulative).

REALLY got my pee pee schwacked, HARD by the CO. Said if he saw I had less than a 2.7 again, we wouldn't even have another meeting, i'd just be on a bus to great lakes. Had to write a letter explaining why it happened and why it wouldn't happen again, which he pretty much tore apart.

It was a strong lesson learned.... What did I do? I switched my major to Management, graduated in a year (had all the electives from a prior school) with a 3.3. Wasn't going to take the chance again with even harder classes.

I've always just sucked at college/academics. Trust me on this one though guys, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT. THEY WILL SEND YOU TO GREAT LAKES. I know one BDCP'er that got sent to Great Lakes because he failed the PRT twice (couldn't get into shape). I know 2 that have been sent there for college grades.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Yeah, I've been there and I did a lot worse than you did. Was finishing up my third year of Aerospace Engineering (read Fluid dynamics, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations and Engineering Physics III). Ended up with C's across the board (and one C-) (sub 2.0 semesterly GPA, but had a 3.1 cumulative).

REALLY got my pee pee schwacked, HARD by the CO. Said if he saw I had less than a 2.7 again, we wouldn't even have another meeting, i'd just be on a bus to great lakes. Had to write a letter explaining why it happened and why it wouldn't happen again, which he pretty much tore apart.

It was a strong lesson learned.... What did I do? I switched my major to Management, graduated in a year (had all the electives from a prior school) with a 3.3. Wasn't going to take the chance again with even harder classes.

I've always just sucked at college/academics. Trust me on this one though guys, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT. THEY WILL SEND YOU TO GREAT LAKES. I know one BDCP'er that got sent to Great Lakes because he failed the PRT twice (couldn't get into shape). I know 2 that have been sent there for college grades.

That's some great gouge right there. Luckily I haven't ever failed a PRT (nor will I ever) but I'm glad to have this info for the grades. I absolutely must avoid senioritis... Thanks for that information. Very helpful.

Lobster

Good gouge godspeed.

Best advice I've ever gotten from current and retired officers..."Don't fuck it up" simple and to the point.

kacraven

I figured this might be a good place to post this question -

Let's say i'm in BDCP for supply - Is it possible to switch designators to SNA later? Also, what are the chances of getting switched compared to not applying for BDCP at all until later? Basically the issue is that my eyes aren't anywhere near good enough and I would get them fixed ASAP but I'm studying abroad this fall and I really don't want my vision in the hands of some random foreign doctor should a problem come up. I honestly think I'd be happy in either supply or aviation - but aviation is definitely my first choice. Any advice would be appreciated!

I already used the search function but didn't find anything - apparently my searching skills are lacking ...

Lobster

If aviation is your first choice then get your eyes fixed then apply for aviation. Don't apply for something just to get in.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I started the semester off with all A's and B's and figured that I could coast through the rest of the semester, seeing as I had already reached my goal of getting into the program and all A's seemed a bit tacky.

How the hell are all A's "tacky"? I 4.0'ed my last four semesters of college outright, three of which were spent on BDCP. Attempting to excuse yourself from having to get all A's is just plain stupid. Grad school.

blarged

ready
How the hell are all A's "tacky"? I 4.0'ed my last four semesters of college outright, three of which were spent on BDCP. Attempting to excuse yourself from having to get all A's is just plain stupid. Grad school.

Agreed. I don't see anything tacky at all about making dean's list and getting the pay increase.