• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Am I the only person who has saved all of his BDCP money and continued working a normal job while jamming my sweet, sweet government paychecks into an IRA, thrift savings, and savings?

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Am I the only person who has saved all of his BDCP money and continued working a normal job while jamming my sweet, sweet government paychecks into an IRA, thrift savings, and savings?

I haven't done that yet (just got in), but I plan on doing something similar. I'm going to stick with my job making 17/hr and putting all of the extra into some sort of long term plan.

..And by extra I mean the money I have left over after the crack and hookers of course.

Lobster

Normal job? Out the window. And while the thought of savings is nice and possible at times, i've got loans to pay off from my not so sweet private college tuition, which is why savings is so tough right now...that and that terrible bar a block from campus...;)

U

uscec89

concur. about 75 percent of my BDCP money goes to tuition/paying off loans. it sucks.

yeah I have to keep my job it's going to take 10 months to pay off just 2 semsters of school

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I plan on maximg out my IRA FOR 2008 and 2009, but I am also going to enjoy this BDCP money for some personal stuff, because I F'ing earned it... So did everyone else selected. This last year of college is going to be full of PT, connecting with junior officers, and spending time with family and friends, all things that were difficult to accomplish while working full time and going to school full time.

I will also be drinking beers and chasing broads... I think that is a requirement for BDCP.

Lobster

concur. about 75 percent of my BDCP money goes to tuition/paying off loans. it sucks.

Its not too bad though when you think about it, pretty much everything will be paid off when I graduate which is way ahead of the curve.

Yup exactly. My old roommate did this and more with his BDCP pocket change over the summer. I think the fucker bought a chateau in Mexico all the while sippin Patron Margarita's, getting fanned with a palm frond from some chick named Mildred and makin paper airplanes out of the extra bills because it was "cool."

Sounds perfect. PM me his number so I can get in touch with his travel agent.

redsox06

BDCP SWO
In regard to international travel while enrolled in bdcp--I was told that as long as it is school related...(internship for school credit, study abroad) and doesn't conflict with your adcp, you are waved through by your recruiter and do not need to take leave.

So if your international travel is not school-related (ie spring break in mexico) do you need to take leave? How hard is it to get this kind of international travel approved?

spartan785

I used the two full summer before OCS to work/workout. I flew for a company that did aerial surveys of agricultural and urban sites, which only added money to the account, put hours in the logbook, and experience under the belt (blackout landings up in northern WI, felt like a carrier landing when there is nothing, but blackness, the runway lights, and the VASI). I also ran, swam, pushed, and lifted as much as possible.

I took the mindset during BDCP to earn as much money as possible during the summers and when I got my CFI rating to earn as much money during the school year as well. It is nice to have that extra money put away especially in this economy, but I gave up a lot of the fun stuff that my college peers did (crazy weekends, spring break, summer roadtrips).

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Spartan785,

Did you enjoy flying and having that job over the summer? If so then it wasn't really a job, but more of a f'ing good time flying and practicing while earning money. I realize that this is a great opportunity to put money away and save up, but I also think that this is the last time to have those crazy weekends, roadtrips, and "I don't remember anything" Spring Break adventures. I think that this is a great time to enjoy certain civillian advantages to the fullest while you still can.

But to each his own... spend, save, gamble, squander, as you see fit... just enjoy it.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a job outside of your NRD for the summer if you were in BDCP?