• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I think you can, but this is the perfect question that your recruiter can answer.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a job outside of your NRD for the summer if you were in BDCP?

I have had a job the past 2 months while being in BDCP. No one ever said anything against it, but like mentioned above, ask your recruiter to confirm.

Are there any BDCP guys/gals in San Diego on AW?

J-Har

Cons of BDCP?

I have just been pro-rec for SWO and NFO and am still waiting on Intel but was just wondering if anyone had any cons of doing the BDCP program. I am going to be a senior this upcoming year and am set on the fact that I want to become a Naval Officer but just want to really be sure about my decision. Everyone here seems to have so much positive feedback about the program and I am wondering what the possible negatives are?

I also have another question. I am most likely leaning towards NFO because I have always wanted to fly but never thought I had a chance because of my eyesight and because I wear contacts. I just applied NFO on a whim just to see if I could get it. By being pro-rec does that mean my med records have been reviewed and I am medically qualified to operate as an NFO or are there further examinations. My only worry is that I go NFO and end up not being able to do it because of my eyesight and get stuck in another pipeline that I might not be as happy in.

Thanks for the help,

J

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just explaining further, attrite or DOR out of OCS and you are required to go enlisted.

Being pro-rec for NFO does not mean you have a flight physical. MEPS only screens you for a commissioning. You do not receive a flight physical until the beginning of OCS (unless for some reason you go to NAMI early).

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
The only negative is that if you screw it up you go to Great Mistakes.
And even then... most guys who enlist for a couple years don't get paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for a few years before they show up at Great Lakes. So you're still ahead of the average enlistee.

But yeah, it would suck. The only con is that you've sworn your life away already so succeed or fail at OCS, you're paying Uncle Sam back one way or another.

IRfly

None
Possible con is that you're selecting your community very early and possibly knowing very little about it. For instance, if your three choice are Intel, SNA, and SWO, and you get picked up for SWO and accept that, but all your research, interviews, etc, has been concentrated on Intel, well, you're going to be a SWO (again, if you accept that). But still, you'll be the best-compensated SWO on the boat arriving with--assuming two years in the BDCP--60 days of leave on the books, one year until a major pay jump, and two years of credit towards retirement. If you're sure that you want to be a Naval Officer, do your homework, and have half a backbone, it's the best--and I mean BEST--deal going.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I wish I had known about BDCP in college. I would have been able to avoid Corps of Cadets horseshat and actually enjoy school, all the while comfortable in the fact that I was 1. making about 6 times as much as a rotc mid, 2. accumulating leave and time, and 3. not dealing with ROTC and (in my school's case) the corpse of cadets. It is the deal of the lifetime...if it's still around, my future progeny will be BDCP-ers

Lobster

the only con is that you've been selected for a kick ass career and you have to sit around in college and wait for it, like being a kid and being too short to reach the cupboard where the cookie jar is.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
There are several threads on the sight about vision requirements for NFO. Just do a search. I had the same thoughts, I dont have GREAT vision. Theres no way I can go for NFO. From the sight, you'll find out NFO is not as tight as Pilot. I don't want to say specific's because I don't know your vision, but if your eyes can be not perfect and still make NFO.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
My only worry is that I go NFO and end up not being able to do it because of my eyesight and get stuck in another pipeline that I might not be as happy in.
J

If your vision is obviously not within standards, I don't think you'll receive a Final Select. I was pro-rec'd for both SNA and SNFO but only final select for NFO due to eyesight. If you really want to fly and your eyes are holding you back, look into PRK. It's the best investment you'll ever make and I thought it even worth giving up possible BDCP money.

As far as BDCP itself, there are no negatives, besides the possiblity of getting stupid from all the cash and free time (from not having a job) you have on your hands