• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
This could be a "con" for you: from what I've read on here (and someone feel free to say so if this is bad gouge)...
If you NPQ your flight physical and don't get a waiver, and you're BDCP, they may want to redesignate you rather than separate you. So you'd have a designator outside of aviation.

Personally I'd be happy to be a SWO if NPQ'd from aviation because I signed up to serve, got paid, and while aviation is what I signed up for if I can't do it for medical reasons, that's just the way it is... I'd rather go SWO from an aviation NPQ than get kicked out of OCS completely.

Worth reading:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16489&highlight=redesignate
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8108&highlight=redesignate
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6398&highlight=redesignate
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135708&highlight=flight+physical

Inspiring to see some guys talking about doing BDCP in those old threads when now they have wings under their names.
Just be prepared to owe the Navy some time.

EDIT: And yeah, it's probably in my contract somewhere, but I'm too lazy to dig it out and read all that again, haha.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Although on the flipside if you do redesignate to a non-aviation field you have a good chance at not owing the Navy as much time. :-D

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Negative side, as mentioned earlier, is that you owe the NAVY 2 years as an undesignated Striker if you don't make it through OCS (are attrited for performance or DOR), or get bad grades during the rest of your college career.

This undesignated striker thing is pretty much the pits. Means you can't have any job of substance... You'll be chipping paint and swabbing decks on a Smallboy in Yemen for two years.

That means three things for the folks considering BDCP:

1)Know damn well sure you want to do the job you sign up for.
2)Make SURE you stay above the 2.7 GPA cutoff for the rest of your semesters.
3)Approach OCS with a diehard WILL NOT FAIL, WILL NOT GIVE UP attitude.

I've come dangerously close by not exactly following number two for a semester... Let me tell you, this is no bullshit. Lets just say that by the graces of god, I'm not an E-3 undesignated striker right now.

BDCP is the best deal in the NAVY, but make no misktake, once you swear in to BDCP you are on a one way road (no turning back) to your designator.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Negative side, as mentioned earlier, is that you owe the NAVY 2 years as an undesignated Striker if you don't make it through OCS (are attrited for performance or DOR), or get bad grades during the rest of your college career.

This undesignated striker thing is pretty much the pits. Means you can't have any job of substance... You'll be chipping paint and swabbing decks on a Smallboy in Yemen for two years.

2)Make SURE you stay above the 3.7 GPA cutoff for the rest of your semesters.

I've come dangerously close by not exactly following number two for a semester... Let me tell you, this is no bullshit. Lets just say that by the graces of god, I'm not an E-3 undesignated striker right now.

BDCP is the best deal in the NAVY, but make no misktake, once you swear in to BDCP you are on a one way road (no turning back) to your designator.
2.7 GPA. I seriously doubt you ever had above a 3.7 in college...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A con? You have to go to OCS.

Far outweighed by the benefits though.

utak

A con? You have to go to OCS.

Far outweighed by the benefits though.

Plus . . . by the time they graduate after two years of BDCP and get sent to OCS, they'll even more benefits.

No squad bay, no lunging around the chow hall, no "fun" in the chow hall, no eating by the numbers standing with a war spoon, no rolling into H for PFA failure, no rigged RLP failures, and of course . . .no DIs! ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No squad bay, no lunging around the chow hall, no "fun" in the chow hall, no eating by the numbers standing with a war spoon, no rolling into H for PFA failure, no rigged RLP failures, and of course . . .no DIs! ;)

And hopefully no more 'war stories' about how tough OCS was from the grads.

blarged

ready

2)Make SURE you stay above the 2.7 GPA cutoff for the rest of your semesters.

It is a 2.7 cumulative GPA, right? If you get less than a 2.7 in a single quarter/semester, as long as your cumulative is still above a 2.7, you are fine.

Am I mistaken?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^^ You are mistaken. You need to keep your GPA above a 2.7 each and every quarter/semester. However, I actually ran into this problem by getting a 2.61 one quarter and am still in BDCP with an OCS date in 12 weeks. I am sure it is on a case by case basis.

blarged

ready
^^ You are mistaken. You need to keep your GPA above a 2.7 each and every quarter/semester. However, I actually ran into this problem by getting a 2.61 one quarter and am still in BDCP with an OCS date in 12 weeks. I am sure it is on a case by case basis.

Yuck ... going into my last year of a Computer Science degree. The quarters are all filled to the brim with technical electives.

Not going to Great Lakes ... a whole new perspective of motivation!

enter

a couple of questions on BDCP

I currently have 52 credits aproved in my university i am also on the wrestling and judo teams in my university and i compete in both. Im majoring in natrual science with a concentration in computer science and mathematics. My GPA however is 2.56. I would like to know what are my chances for getting into BDCP here in Puerto Rico were i attend college?

acwildcat

pilot
I may be wrong but as far as I know your chances are 0% because you must have a minimum 2.7 gpa in order to be in the program

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You sure? What happened to you? Everything I've ever seen said cumulative.