• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

KristenQT

Is the Reading comprehension just questions about the passage? Barron's has vocabulary for that section of the ASTB.
Also are lbs/oz, cup/pint/gallon given? Not a big deal to memorize but don't want to be thrown some curveball where it gives pints and asks for ounces or tbsp.
No vocabulary on the Reading section. But I'd definitely describe it as more than just reading comprehension. They give you a paragraph (most of mine were about military programs or the military in general) and you have to pick the statement below that best describes what was said in the paragraph above.

But no joke it will play games with your head a little and some questions will pan out like so:

Jill went to the store to buy apples for her grandmother. She bought 3 green apples. Jill likes making apple pie during the holidays.
A.) Jill's grandmother is sick and can't go to the store
B.) Jill hates red apples
C.) There must be a holiday coming up
D.) Apple pies are made with apples

Obviously this is not one of the questions but the answer choices will seem odd or repetitive and more than one could be correct but one is "more correct"

I didn't personally have any lb/oz cups/pints questions but I did have inches and feet. So I would say its definitely a possibility that you may need to convert.

Best of luck!

Hi everyone, please I would like to know if I can use my foreign bachelors degree to join the usnavy officer. I am from a foreign country, I have a bachelor degree in psychology with 3.8 gpa. I have only lived in America for 3years. I am not yet a citizen but I am due to apply for naturalization because I am married to a US citizen.
Please I would like to know what my chances are to become a Navy officer.

njrecc

Just took the ASTB and got a 58 8/9/8. All I can say is don't rely on the Baron's study book for math, the practice tests were way too easy and did not represent the real test at all. It's been 8 years since I took my high school physics class and that's the only physics I'd ever taken, the Barons helped me remember a lot of that mechanical stuff.

I suck at math, so if I can get a score like this anybody can. I studied for about 3 weeks, the first two weeks were maybe 2 hours per day, the last week has been pretty intensive on the studying, more like 6-8 hours.

Just like everyone, I felt like I was doing horribly on the entire test, but I knew from this thread that many people who did exceptionally well felt like they were doing horrible. I was able to keep that in mind and remember that just because I felt bad about my performance that it didn't necessarily mean I was doing poorly, so I continued to try my best.

The adaptive feature mentally threw me off a little bit, when you get questions that feel easier than the last one it makes you feel like you suck. The math cut me off in what felt like 15 minutes, the reading comprehension felt like an eternity but cut me off also, and I ran out of time on the mechanical.

What helped me the most was this thread. Everyone says that because it's true. I started at page 250 and downloaded everyone's study guides and practice tests. It takes a long time, but go to page 250 or 300 or wherever you want and just start reading forward, it seriously helps. This allowed me to know exactly what was coming as far as the PBM goes, if I had not read this thread the stick and throttle would've been a shock. I was able to mentally prepare in the weeks leading up to it just by reading people's descriptions of how it goes.

You just have to be dedicated enough to sit down and study this, it sucks but what's a few weeks of studying math and mechanical comprehension for a possible career of flying jets?

Oh, the compass trick helped me tremendously. I got one wrong just because I clicked too fast and made a stupid mistake. I was able to average about 3 seconds. TIP: Practice using the paper with your non-dominant hand. During the practice, I tried flipping the compass around with my left hand and it just didn't work well for me. During the graded portion I ended up using the mouse with my right hand and when the next question popped up I used my right hand to flip the compass where I needed it, then dropped the paper so I could work the mouse again. Just something I never thought of before.

GiantsFan96

Hey everyone. I've been lurking on this site for a couple months now, and I just took the ASTB today and got an 8/9/8. I took the OAR separately about a month ago and got a 60 on that. I want to thank everyone on here for all the info they shared, I definitely would not have done as well without the gouge from this site.

I can't really add much to the advice that everyone else has given, other than to reiterate that you need to just believe in yourself on the PBM section of the test. I was barely on target at all for the vertical and 2-D tracking sections. At test time I had never used any sort of throttle before, so it messed me up that the joystick was inverted and the throttle was not. This isn't any groundbreaking information, just something to consider. I was convinced that I was going to get somewhere in the 5-6 range, but I still ended up pulling out a good score. Don't let yourself get flustered, crank out some pushups in between the sections (I was all nerves at the beginning, so this helped a ton) and get after it.

njrecc

Hey everyone. I've been lurking on this site for a couple months now, and I just took the ASTB today and got an 8/9/8. I took the OAR separately about a month ago and got a 60 on that. I want to thank everyone on here for all the info they shared, I definitely would not have done as well without the gouge from this site.

I can't really add much to the advice that everyone else has given, other than to reiterate that you need to just believe in yourself on the PBM section of the test. I was barely on target at all for the vertical and 2-D tracking sections. At test time I had never used any sort of throttle before, so it messed me up that the joystick was inverted and the throttle was not. This isn't any groundbreaking information, just something to consider. I was convinced that I was going to get somewhere in the 5-6 range, but I still ended up pulling out a good score. Don't let yourself get flustered, crank out some pushups in between the sections (I was all nerves at the beginning, so this helped a ton) and get after it.
Awesome, we both took it today and got almost identical scores! Good work.

Brand0034

For the 2-D tracking is it just the Y-Axis(up/down) that's inverted? Or is the X-Axis backwards as well?
Also can someone explain this probabilty problem? P(A)=7/10 P(A or B)=173/200 P(B)=?
The answer is 11/20.

njrecc

For the 2-D tracking is it just the Y-Axis(up/down) that's inverted? Or is the X-Axis backwards as well?
Also can someone explain this probabilty problem? P(A)=7/10 P(A or B)=173/200 P(B)=?
The answer is 11/20.
On the joystick, to move your crosshairs up on the screen you will pull back on the stick, as you would in a plane. To go down to push forward. Left=left right=right.

Just trying to get some advice and guidance before i go and take the ASTB for the last time. Here are the scores i have gotten in the past 1st time OAR:45 AQR: 4 PFAR: 5 FOFAR: 5. 2nd time 44 4/6/5. I get one more opportunity to take it and i am just trying to figure out what i need to be focusing my study on in order to bring my AQR score up to at least a 5. What part of the test effects that score? Thank you in advance

Ed014

Just trying to get some advice and guidance before i go and take the ASTB for the last time. Here are the scores i have gotten in the past 1st time OAR:45 AQR: 4 PFAR: 5 FOFAR: 5. 2nd time 44 4/6/5. I get one more opportunity to take it and i am just trying to figure out what i need to be focusing my study on in order to bring my AQR score up to at least a 5. What part of the test effects that score? Thank you in advance

Good luck!

Ordie

The complete breakdown (or the non-confidential/unclas breakdown) of the ASTB is found on this website:
https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/pages/astboverview.aspx

It has a practice test on it as well. I'm not sure what you are using for study material, but I would recommend giving Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests study guide a try if you haven't already. I hope this helps & best of luck on your final attempt!

Hi all,

I took the ASTB last month and scored a 62 8/7/7. I spent about a month studying for it. Since I work full time, it was mainly on the weekends that I studied. For preparation, I used five different study resources:
  1. These flashcards: https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163 They really helped me perform well on the aviation and nautical knowledge sections of the test. I made real life flashcards of nearly every single virtual flashcard on that site.
  2. Kyle's ASTB study kit: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvPi5oH_h_13TGajDvflDWkftwXO8LS6 Kyle (you can find him earlier in this thread) got an awesome score, so why not learn from the best? Now, I didn't use Kyle's kit as much as I should, but the "Air Warriors Guide" underneath the "General Study Guides" section helped guide me in preparation for the math section, and I can confirm, it really does help!
  3. The UAV practice:
    DRAW THE COMPASS DURING THE EXAM. DO IT!
  4. The Mometrix OAR/ASTB-e guide. Now, this book was a little too easy for me, but provided a good foundation for understanding what I had to study.
  5. The ARCO GRE/GMAT Math Review. I specifically studied the sections that I knew that I was weakest in, namely the problems in the motion genre involving D=RT.
I struggled more than I should have during the UAV portion due to insufficient practice on my own time before hand with respect to rapidly turning the compass in the direction it was supposed to go and ended up getting quite a few questions wrong (I want to say like ~5 or more). Keep in mind I didn't practice this section at all in the month or so that studied for this exam. All I did was watch the UAV practice video listed above and make a half hearted attempt at doing the flash cards here: https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014 . Regardless, don't make the same mistakes I did: Practice those TBAS UAV flash cards until you have them down cold or take some time during the exam and draw the full set of eight (8) compasses so that you are not busy twisting and turning the compass like I was on the test.

Dichotic listening was also somewhat of a struggle for me simply because I was worried midway through that test portion that I had mixed up the buttons for the left and right side. LOL. Anyways, be sure to read the instructions very very carefully for this section.

For emergency procedures, yes write them down!

Final note: My test crashed once, which required the procter to restart the exam from where I had left off. I additionally clicked the wrong answer on at least one question each on the math and reading sections because the exam froze up. Specifically, when I went to click my mouse on the answer that I had already chosen a bunch of times in rapid succession to try to get the exam to unfreeze, it suddenly jumped to the next question. Since I was clicking so fast to try to get the test to unfreeze, I inadvertently clicked an answer choice on the next question when the test suddenly unfroze and the question changed in the process and probably (almost certainly...) selected the wrong answer in the process. Don't be like me. If your answer to a question is already selected and the test appears frozen, just give it some time. If worst comes to worst, just tell your procter to restart the exam for you.

Good luck everyone. Now I'm off to handle my myriad medical nonsense. sighh...

slchris3

Applying for SWO
Degree: Biology/minor in Chem 3.2 GPA
First attempt: 35
Second Attempt: 38
Final attempt: 46

I just want to thank you guys for all your contributions to this site. After my second attempt, I was extremely discouraged and didn't know what to do. I found this site and all the materials here were extremely helpful, even saw a few of the same questions on the test. Study materials: Gre book, organic chem tutor, khan academy, and the practice test and guides that are on this site.
MST:
I ended getting a lot of word problems, D=rt and work together was the most prominent. Basic algebra, geometry, averages, and F(x) with fractional exponents. I timed out on these sections
RCT:
Like everyone says just take your time and try to find the one that closely related to the passage. I didn't study for this section and I think it showed on my score. At one point I thought I couldn't read because the answer choices were such a headache.
MCT:
This was the easiest section. Barrons did a great job of explaining all the topics that you need. I also used a couple of study guides I found on a google drive, if you need it I can email it to you. A lot of Bernoulli principle, a couple of levers, what happens when you drop 2 balls at the same time, throw a ball horizontally and drop one vertically, and a question about removing and adding pins to a reactor(I picked when you add it slows down the reaction and when you remove it speeds it up )
Again thank you guys off to MEPS!

VirginiaFlyer99

Just took the ASTB and scored a 37 4 6 4 (went into the test with a week of studying and wasn't sure what to expect). I have 150hrs with a PPL and Instrument Rating and figured a quick glance at the gouge would be enough to take the test to see what its like. With a GPA of 2.7 what scores would I need to be competitive for SNA?

njrecc

Just took the ASTB and scored a 37 4 6 4 (went into the test with a week of studying and wasn't sure what to expect). I have 150hrs with a PPL and Instrument Rating and figured a quick glance at the gouge would be enough to take the test to see what its like. With a GPA of 2.7 what scores would I need to be competitive for SNA?
Unfortunately with those scores you don’t qualify for SNA. Search around and you can find the minimums, I don’t remember off the top of my head. You’ll have to take it a second time though for sure

VirginiaFlyer99

Retaking the test in the spring in hopes to submit the package by summer. I've seen where engineering gpa tends to be lower due to the difficulty of the major but as a 2.7 Criminal Justice major with a year left in college I would think my ASTB scores would need to be on the upper hand of 50 and 7's across the board? Also not sure if having a direct family member that flew for the Navy would have any affect on the boards.