• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

pleahy15

Thank you so much!!! But still confuse for throttle/stick sections. When lining it up for the cross airs, I don't need to press the triggers or anything right?
I do not believe so. But I am pretty sure the official instructions before you test that section tell you what to do. So, just read those carefully.

Ed014

Can someone please let me know if I am understanding this right. The solution is a bit confusing to me.

This is the way I understand it. I do 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/.5 = 3.5 and then I do 1/3.5 = .285714....so I am assuming they did the 1/3.5 but didn't show that step and at the end just rounded to .3?

If I am completely wrong please let me know. I am trying to get better at this stuff.

Thank you.

Danielle29

Hi guys!
So I have asked previously about the PBM section but I'm studying right now and I'm confused about the reading section. So when I was studying for my first try of taking the exam (books), it gave me specific questions about the passage. But when I took the exam, I was so confused on what they're trying to ask from me? It gave me a passage and 4 sentences. So what are you suppose to pick? Summary of the passage? Thank you once again!!

gtckn

View attachment 23162

Can someone please let me know if I am understanding this right. The solution is a bit confusing to me.

This is the way I understand it. I do 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/.5 = 3.5 and then I do 1/3.5 = .285714....so I am assuming they did the 1/3.5 but didn't show that step and at the end just rounded to .3?

If I am completely wrong please let me know. I am trying to get better at this stuff.

Thank you.
Yes they just rounded it, your method is perfect

grizzi17

Hello all, I'm currently preparing for the ASTB. Taking it for the first time in a couple of weeks. For the math section, I see a lot of people who've taken the test mention "fractions" and "exponents" in this thread. But I haven't seen many specific details regarding the complexity of these problems. Are we talking something like 35^2/5 or (15a^5) (b^2) (c^4) /(5a^3) (b^3)(c^4) ? I'm a little paranoid on how much I should study this stuff. There seems to be so many different possibilities and so many things that could be thrown at you. I'm wondering where I should stop studying.

Ordie

Hello all, I'm currently preparing for the ASTB. Taking it for the first time in a couple of weeks. For the math section, I see a lot of people who've taken the test mention "fractions" and "exponents" in this thread. But I haven't seen many specific details regarding the complexity of these problems. Are we talking something like 35^2/5 or (15a^5) (b^2) (c^4) /(5a^3) (b^3)(c^4) ? I'm a little paranoid on how much I should study this stuff. There seems to be so many different possibilities and so many things that could be thrown at you. I'm wondering where I should stop studying.

The math I saw on the ASTB very much reflects the items found on the practice test at this link: https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBOverview.aspx

The most challenging math equations were along the lines of what you would see in pre-cal. If you haven't gone through this thread already, there are several helpful self study guides that people have posted that very much reflect what you will see on the exam. I would also recommend Barron's ASTB practice book. Best of luck! & remember, you can only take the ASTB three times and the most recent score is the score that is kept so if you don't feel ready I recommend taking your time to ensure that you are before taking the exam.

Last edited:

Sjohnny15

I took the ASTB a few weeks ago, got 45 5/7/7. Trying for SNA. I’m bummed that my OAR score is so low but I have heard they don’t pay too much attention to it for SNA. Debating on taking it again but a little worried my scores might drop. Has that happened to anyone? Should I retake? GPA is 3.0

E6BFlightComp

I took the ASTB a few weeks ago, got 45 5/7/7. Trying for SNA. I’m bummed that my OAR score is so low but I have heard they don’t pay too much attention to it for SNA. Debating on taking it again but a little worried my scores might drop. Has that happened to anyone? Should I retake? GPA is 3.0

At least from reading this thread in depth, most of the applicants that had lower than they expected first test scores improved with their second attempt. The positives are that you know what you need to study and can look for gouge accordingly! The only cons that I can foresee are getting alittle nervousness at the beginning of the PBM section but I'm sure you'll do just fine in the end and hopefully be confident with the results.

Please does anyone know how the age waiver request work?. I am 32, and I'm put in for SWO. I don't know how to write the waiver request. Please, any advice. Thanks

Ordie

Please does anyone know how the age waiver request work?. I am 32, and I'm put in for SWO. I don't know how to write the waiver request. Please, any advice. Thanks

I believe the age limit as of this year for SWO is 35 now (no waivers required). Here is the link to the program authorization that was signed this year in June: https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/assets/pdfs/SWO (Apr 2019).pdf

They raised the age limit for a few programs earlier this year.