• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Coulanon

1 per diem, 2 per diem, 3 per diem, floor!
8/8/8 61, 3.11 GPA, Applying for the Intel board that met last week and if I don't get picked up for that I will be applying for the Dec SNA/SNFO board.

etreddies31

Hey guys. I'm new to AW. I just took the ASTB a week ago. I got my scores back and I'm excited to build up my packet for the next board.

halfbreed83

paper version, really?? where did you take it at, they supposedly recalled those last year, in general the paper version takes 3-4 weeks to get results back.
I heard that the computer base test would not allow you to go back to previous question to correct or rework the problems, is this true?

SaltyDawg85

I heard that the computer base test would not allow you to go back to previous question to correct or rework the problems, is this true?

False. You are talking about the ASTB, right? The computer will absolutely let you go back and change your answers. You can skip questions altogether and come back to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

WLcQB10

Since the original post said state your score, I just took the OAR and scored a 52 this morning. Not the best, but my recruiter told me I was competative. Hopefully that is true. I was looking at 1) Intel 2) Suppo and 3) SWO. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Since the original post said state your score, I just took the OAR and scored a 52 this morning. Not the best, but my recruiter told me I was competative. Hopefully that is true. I was looking at 1) Intel 2) Suppo and 3) SWO. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Looking at your degree, background and just the numbers SWO is your best bet, but I am saying that without knowing your GPA and unless they do rolling boards with SWO you will probably only have one shot before you hit max age.

WLcQB10

Looking at your degree, background and just the numbers SWO is your best bet, but I am saying that without knowing your GPA and unless they do rolling boards with SWO you will probably only have one shot before you hit max age.

Sorry my GPA was 3.33 out of 4.0. My recruiter said that I could also try reserves which I am ok with.

DragonAdder

pilot
Took the ASTB for the first time today (studied for a few days), 6/5/6 55 was my score, so good enough for NFO but not good enough for pilot. Would retake it regardless of getting a 6/6/6 as the minimum simply won't cut it. Math and reading were easy, mechanical comprehension was either understood or iffy, spatial apperception pretty good, clearly had gaps in my aviation knowledge. I only used the study guide posted on here, the ARCO practice test and the OSO Prep Test, going to devour as much info as I can to bring my scores up next time.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Idk nor does anyone else know if your score is "good enough" for NFO. No one knows what the board is looking for or how other applicants fair.

DragonAdder

pilot
I'm just referring to the minimum standards for my application to Marine OCS AIR/NFO programs. For Pilot: 4/6/*, NFO: 4/*/6. As far as shooting for beyond the minimum, I've heard that the boards view it as pass/fail. On the other hand, I've also heard that they as consider higher scores to be more competitive in an overall package.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
Quick update, I took the full test today and they explained that you must wait 90 days between the 1st and 2nd test now, as well as between the 2nd and 3rd, if you are in a situation where you would like to retake it.

6/6/6 53 is what I swung today... Not sure how competitive that is, but there she is.

The math section was a lot easier than what I had taken for practice. All pretty basic stuff, the only real issue is time. I didn't watch my clock close enough and ended up leaving 3-4 unanswered like a dunce... Don't do that!

Reading was a bit more difficult than the practice questions I had studied. I've also taken the LSAT (LOTS of reading) and done well, and those questions were certainly more difficult... These ASTB questions are a bit stupidly written in my humble opinion. Hard to practice for, just read carefully and go back and check everything if you have time. Some of them are remarkably not obvious.

Mechanical was very basic stuff ... There are no equations you need to know, only basic concepts. Study gears, pulleys, and common sense.

Spatial aperception... Here was the doozy. I nailed every practice question for these I could find, to the point I stopped studying them about 2 weeks ago. The test is significantly harder. Really funky angles in some of them, and about half were very tricky where the difference between right and wrong boiled down to something like: Is it a 30 degree upwards left bank out to sea, or more of a 40-45 degree upwards left bank out to sea. F*ck me if I know.

Aviation and Nautical Information... Also fairly basic. Know main parts of an aircraft, know your 4 main forces, know the major parts of a ship, know the main terminology for both, understand the basics of flight, etc etc. Also a few weather questions on there as well.

Aviation supplement was a smattering, and actually repeated 2-3 questions verbatim from other sections on the test. No math in here for me.

I took from 3, btw.

If anyone has questions, feel free to pm me while it's still mostly fresh. Although be fairly warned I started drinking as soon as I left the testing center.

zarevich

Hello,
I was wondering what is a competitive SAT or ACT score for STA-21 Pilot option. Also Thank you all for all these study guides, taking my ASTB September 10th for the first time, hopefully I do good. My weakness as of right now is Aviation, but got to keep studying and memorizing. Will post my scores when i get them. Thank you again.

Navy Ship

Heres some stuff I remember. Can you again recall if these concepts showed up on Form 3?

1) Why are propellers curved on 1 side and flat on the other? (I think to produce thrust but I'm not sure)
2) What does the tachometer measure? (There were also questions about other flight instruments such as RMI).
3) In the mechanical questions. The give a picture with an incline (Think of a right triangle). Then they ask whether it takes more force or less force or the same amount of force to push this object up the incline vs on a flat area.
4) According to Bernoulli's principle, a jet flying faster will have (higher or lower) lift on its wing (think the answer is lift increases)
5) What is the purpose of a helicopter's tail rotor (To counter the main rotor)
6) What are the vertical sections of a ship called? (I would say bulkhead)
7) There was a questions about springs in parallel vs series.

Unsure if these were practice or on the real test
- Questions about who said "I may sink, but I'll be damned if I strike" (Answer: John Paul Jones)
- The nickname "Old Ironsides" was give to which ship (Answer: USS Constitution)

Did you have any questions regarding electricity / calculating resistance on Form 3? We did not on Form 5.