• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Abraham Christian

...after reading all of these scores and seeing what I need to change in my study habits, I think I have a much better idea of where I need to be and what I need to be reviewing. Thanks guys!!!! I have 90 days till my last shot at it again.

yellowstone6

Village Idiot
Took the ASTB today and scored an 8/9/8 64. I only had 2 weeks and what I used are as follows (Important to least important)...
-Coffee
-Skoal Mint
-Atrickpay's Study Guide
-Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test Book
-thatquiz.org (Math prep) <------- ***Highly Recommend***
-Cliff Notes Algebra II Quick Review (Read it cover to cover once)

My Gouge:
I studied Atrickplay's guide continuously, non-stop... Before bed, when I woke up, breakfast, lunch, dinner. I saved it as a .pdf to my ipad, so I had it everywhere!
The Barron's book is great for mechanical and mathematics, the rest of the book should just be considered supplemental. I worked through every one of the problems on Atrickpay's guide AND the Barron's book so that I did not just know them, but understood how to solve them. thatquiz.org Is a great site for math prep (Algebra, Geometry, Fractions, etc.), as this is what I used for honing in my math skills. Start easy, then increase the difficulty. The Cliff Notes Algebra II book is not a necessity, but definitely help if you need to brush up on your understanding of the Order of Operations, logarithims, etc. The Coffee and Skoal mint were used to just stay focused, but are not required.

Math Section- Difficult, but know how to work ALL of the problems on the gouges and Barron's Book
Reading Comp- Relatively easy, but look into each question and paragraph, as it can be deceiving. (Barron's Book is good for prep)
Mechanical- Again this is where the Barron's Book helped too. However, this section was easiest for me since I took quite a few physics classes in college. Definitely study pulleys and gears if you are not a mechanically inclined person.
Aviation/Nautical- This section was really easy, but then again I have a Commercial Pilots license and I was prior enlisted in the Marines.

My Profile:
27 y/o Male
Bachelors Degree in Construction Mgt from Colorado State University -->2.97GPA
Commercial Pilot, Instrument Rated, Multi Engine w/ 300hrs
One hell of a work ethic
Typical village idiot with a great sense of determination

Again, thanks for all the help guys-much appreciated. Feel free to PM with questions.

-YS6

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
Junior GPA 3.4 Molecular Biology. 5 6 5 44 Form 3. I did NOT study well enough in the math and mech sections. Any suggestions to take form 4 or 5? I'm sure they are similar enough though. Cheers.

Abraham Christian

I took form 5 first. It was harder than form 3 I thought. More math and the Nautical/Aviation supplemental was trickier. The MechComp was easier in form 3 however. I am going in to take it for a 3rd time because I wasn't serious the first two times haha BUTTTTT needless to say I would try to be as competitive as you can studying. There are tons of slideshows, studyguides, and hints listed just here within AW. Good luck man! Maybe I'll see you in OCS ha :)

I found the mechanical, math, and reading sections of form 5 fairly easy compared to practice tests. That is not to say that I didn't know some of the answers, but generally speaking it was do-able. I have no prior aviation or nautical knowledge until I started studying for the ASTB about a month ago. These sections on form 5 were not easy but with good study guides and books, you can do well. I used a ground school manual and another book about basic piloting guidelines. This helped me achieve the 7's. The supplemental section on form 5 for me was very difficult. I guessed a lot, so I was pleased with my scores in the end despite how I thought I did. For me the spatial app section was easy, but it always had been when practicing. Some people are just good at it, and some aren't. I have seen people say that this section is harder on the actual test than practice tests, and I disagree completely. So you have to take every comment with a grain of salt, and remember that if someone else thinks one section is hard, it may be easy for you. Hope this helps.

Sonog

pilot
Took the ASTB today and scored an 8/9/8 64. I only had 2 weeks and what I used are as follows (Important to least important)...
-Coffee
-Skoal Mint
-Atrickpay's Study Guide

My Gouge:
I studied Atrickplay's guide continuously, non-stop... Before bed, when I woke up, breakfast, lunch, dinner. I saved it as a .pdf to my ipad, so I had it everywhere!
The Barron's book is great for mechanical and mathematics, the rest of the book should just be considered supplemental. I worked through every one of the problems on Atrickpay's guide AND the Barron's book so that I did not just know them, but understood how to solve them. thatquiz.org Is a great site for math prep (Algebra, Geometry, Fractions, etc.), as this is what I used for honing in my math skills. Start easy, then increase the difficulty. The Cliff Notes Algebra II book is not a necessity, but definitely help if you need to brush up on your understanding of the Order of Operations, logarithims, etc. The Coffee and Skoal mint were used to just stay focused, but are not required.

Math Section- Difficult, but know how to work ALL of the problems on the gouges and Barron's Book
Reading Comp- Relatively easy, but look into each question and paragraph, as it can be deceiving. (Barron's Book is good for prep)
Mechanical- Again this is where the Barron's Book helped too. However, this section was easiest for me since I took quite a few physics classes in college. Definitely study pulleys and gears if you are not a mechanically inclined person.
Aviation/Nautical- This section was really easy, but then again I have a Commercial Pilots license and I was prior enlisted in the Marines.

My Profile:
27 y/o Male
One hell of a work ethic

Again, thanks for all the help guys-much appreciated. Feel free to PM with questions.

-YS6

For those without flight experience I highly recommend the FAA pilot handbook (available online in pdf) to supplement the Atrickplay study guide. To get 7+'s you really need to know more aviation stuff than whats in the study guides.

smitty62592

Hey guys, I just took the ASTB on Thursday and scored 8 9 8 60 on Form 5. I am ecstatic about these scores and will post a full review on here. I just had a quick question regarding the OAR score. From what I have read on this site it seems as if this score is very important for OCS selection, but I am in an NROTC unit and was wondering if this score held any weight for the service selection through ROTC? Thanks!

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
I took form 2 of the ASTB earlier today. 6/6/7 53. I'm applying for the March 2013 SNA board. My GPA is 3.2 (Architecture) and I have 4 LORs (1 academic mentor/professor, 2 past employers, 1 retired Vietnam-era SWO). My recruiter told me that this score is "above the competitive average" as is my GPA, but my goal was hitting at least 7 on PFAR and 60 OAR. I know he doesn't think I need to retake it, but I would feel much more comfortable with submitting a package that met my own personal goals. Do I retake it in a month or not?

exNavyOffRec

I took form 2 of the ASTB earlier today. 6/6/7 53. I'm applying for the March 2013 SNA board. My GPA is 3.2 (Architecture) and I have 4 LORs (1 academic mentor/professor, 2 past employers, 1 retired Vietnam-era SWO). My recruiter told me that this score is "above the competitive average" as is my GPA, but my goal was hitting at least 7 on PFAR and 60 OAR. I know he doesn't think I need to retake it, but I would feel much more comfortable with submitting a package that met my own personal goals. Do I retake it in a month or not?

If your recruiter believes the competitive average = minimum scores, then yes you are above them, there are a few here that were picked up for SNA with a 6, most have 7 or above, in over 3 years I never had a person with a 6 picked up for SNA.

JHuff

Just finished my ASTB- 6/7/7 53. Pretty excited for a first try. I'm applying for an inter-service transfer and I was just wondering if anyone that has done it would know if these scores are high enough.

flyboy87

-Coffee
-Skoal Mint
-Atrickpay's Study Guide

My Gouge:

My Profile:
27 y/o Male
One hell of a work ethic

-YS6

YS6,

I'm having a tough time finding Atrickpay's Study Guide. If you could email me the link, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

david.smitheal@gmail.com