• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

LaurenEflake

Just took the OAR version of the ASTB a couple of days ago and I'm not happy with my scores at all. I got a 46 on form 4 and I was personally hoping for no less than a 57 for a first try. So now I just need to hit the books some more and hope I do better next time. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

dschorr

OCS 20JUL2014
Scored a 60 6/5/6 on form 4 with only a one week notice. Going to put it up for the March boards hoping for SWO/SNA/SNFO and if not take it again with more time to prepare. What killed by PFAR was not having much time to read any gouge, but I suppose my OAR is decent enough to hope for SWO.

Nick Roland

Just took form 5 this morning. I won't know my scores for a few weeks so I'll keep you guys updated. But this being my second time taking it I felt way more confident going in and even more confident leaving. I had form 3 before and scored a 6/6/6 53. Everyone says form 5 is the hardest, but I disagree. I didn't see too much of a difference between the two, so don't get discouraged right before the test based on what test form you get.

What I studied:
Pretty much every bit study material found on this forum- Probably the most helpful stuff when it came to aero and nautical info. Know the marine gouge and atrickpays study guide.
arco 8th edition- Lots of good questions for math and mechanical to get your timing down (skip the reading unless you have time)
barrons- gives you two full tests, worth the money. All sections are pretty good, the actual test is easier so its a great study prep.
I also took a aviation history class at my school and my father was a f-4 pilot so I had a good back ground going in.
I'll check back if anyone has any questions.

flynavy830

4 5 4 40 form 4... first try. Wasnt too confident after, some questions really screw with your head and can go either way. I'm excited to retake... going in more confident next time.

McHale's Navy

sighted nothing..sank same.
4 5 4 40 form 4... first try. Wasnt too confident after, some questions really screw with your head and can go either way. I'm excited to retake... going in more confident next time.
I went to board with those same scores and same form, plus prior service. So obviously there's a minimum and this is not it.

Abraham Christian

Scored a 60 6/5/6 on form 4 with only a one week notice. Going to put it up for the March boards hoping for SWO/SNA/SNFO and if not take it again with more time to prepare. What killed by PFAR was not having much time to read any gouge, but I suppose my OAR is decent enough to hope for SWO.

There is a March board for SNA...I thought it wasn't until July?

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
There is a March board and I heard of a possible board in August. March deadline is the at the end of January.

5/5/5 49 my first run through....ran out of time on nearly every section.

I'm about to be 26 and can't afford to wait much longer else I'll have to be wavered into OCS. I just need to drill this retest!

My question is what scores do you think are necessary to offset a 2.99 GPA.

exNavyOffRec

5/5/5 49 my first run through....ran out of time on nearly every section.

I'm about to be 26 and can't afford to wait much longer else I'll have to be wavered into OCS. I just need to drill this retest!

My question is what scores do you think are necessary to offset a 2.99 GPA.

much higher, at least a 7

USN doesn't do waivers anymore unless you are prior service

afsf1

8/7/8/71 on first try

Supplemental section was all aviation stuff.
On both the aviation knowledge and supplemental sections I guessed on 80% of the questions (All I knew for certain was that port=left=red and starboard=right=green and runway numbering).
Math/Mech Comp. were trivially easy; Reading Comprehension could be tricky....there were several sections where it was not as clear as it "should" be. (For example the entire passage is referring to employees of a specific company getting some unique benefit, and the answer was that -Most employees don't get this benefit (referring to ALL employees not just the ones at the specific company....there were a few questions where the logic was inconsistent)).

The Spatial section was much trickier than the Marine gouge, with quite a few questions having two answers with the plane in the same position but slightly different pitch; I think I missed 5-10 of these as a result.

Overall easier than expected. If I were to do it again ( I am going USMC and apparently the minimum is something on the order of 5/6/6 ) I would definitely study much more aviation/nautical knowledge; had I spent more than a couple of hours on it and known the basics (which is all the test covers) I am certain I could have done much better.