• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Took my ASTB back in June and scored a 50 6/7/7.
Was PRO REC'D in October for SNA, but found out I lost my spot a few weeks ago.
I am going to apply again, but not sure if I should retake the ASTB.
My recruiter thinks I did fine, and should not retake, but seeing all these recent selects with high OAR scores and 8's and 9's makes me wonder if I would not be competitive anymore.
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
- NightHawk7125

First Nighthawk, I am sorry to hear about your situation but happy to hear you're not giving up! My scores on the ASTB were around the same and I am here in Pcola right now. Remember, you run the risk of (possibly) doing worse and having that score erase your first score if its lower.

Did you have any interviews that you could do with your NRD's CO/XO or any one around? You got some time to join or volunteer your time to an organization. Retaking the ASTB is probably the easiest thing to do, but there are some others ways you could bolster your package if you want as well. You can get some more LORs as well if you want as well too.

Good luck man....i dont deny that the spot you're in is tough, but you have the right attitude about changing your situation. Good on you.

NightHawk7125

Final Select SNA
First Nighthawk, I am sorry to hear about your situation but happy to hear you're not giving up! My scores on the ASTB were around the same and I am here in Pcola right now. Remember, you run the risk of (possibly) doing worse and having that score erase your first score if its lower.

Did you have any interviews that you could do with your NRD's CO/XO or any one around? You got some time to join or volunteer your time to an organization. Retaking the ASTB is probably the easiest thing to do, but there are some others ways you could bolster your package if you want as well. You can get some more LORs as well if you want as well too.

Good luck man....i dont deny that the spot you're in is tough, but you have the right attitude about changing your situation. Good on you.

Yeah its a tough situation, but trying to handle it the best I can.
My OR said that he will try and set me up with an interview so hopefully I can add that too my package.
Also, I will be able to add a LOR from a retired O-5 and hopefully some more.
I also got into the Geographic Honor Society as I am a Geography major.
Hopefully these things will improve my package, and will make me feel confident enough to not retake the ASTB.
Thanks for the support CUPike11, and good luck and congrats on your journey so far. Hopefully I'll work with you one day.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Hey all, haven't been on in a while, but I recently took the ASTB for the first time. I got a 6/7/6 and I'm in NROTC, but I'm not sure if I need to retake it. I'm a 2/C, and I'm worried my GPA will detract from my ASTB score which I guess it pretty OK. GPA is 2.5 in history, I found out engineering wasn't for me the hard way and have had to make my way through school working an a tire shop, but that's my GPA. I feel like my ASTB is right on the bubble, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide if I should risk it by retaking the test. Any input?

petetheo

Received my ASTB scores today. 7/6/6 59. I'm a little disappointed about this. I thought I'd have at least 7's across the board and over 60.

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
Just got back from taking my exam. Went in cold turkey and left with a 3/4/4 41. Being that I'm coming from ROTC I believe I need all 5's and a 50 to "pass" (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I plan on studying for the next month and getting some solid scores...plausible?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Just got back from taking my exam. Went in cold turkey and left with a 3/4/4 41. Being that I'm coming from ROTC I believe I need all 5's and a 50 to "pass" (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I plan on studying for the next month and getting some solid scores...plausible?

Well are you going Navy or USMC? Not sure if ROTC rules are different in that aspect whether or not you just need to pass. It's plausible but I'm not sure why you wasted a 1 of your 3 lifetime tries on just going in "cold turkey." But that's none of my business....anyways, yes you can do it. Just be aware that, and i pray it doesnt, if you go in and do worse for some reason, that your second score counts no matter what. The first score gets erased. They don't take the better of the two.

Again, maybe i'm wrong because you're ROTC and they have their own set of rules possibly.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Received my ASTB scores today. 7/6/6 59. I'm a little disappointed about this. I thought I'd have at least 7's across the board and over 60.
Those are still pretty good scores. I got a 7/7/6 59 and my processor and recruiter said they were fine for a first go-around and that if I was rejected I should think about retesting only because it will show significant desire for "self-improvement." We scored almost the same and I was told my 7/7/6 is right at what the Navy is looking for and that the 59 OAR is WELL above the national average.

Good job guy.

Certainly plausible. I believe 30 days is the minimum wait time for retaking the ASTB, but don't look at it like a deadline. If you need a week, two weeks or an extra month to study take the extra time! I believe you have to wait 6 months from your 2nd test to take it for a third time so you should plan on rocking it the 2nd time.

Good luck.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Well I'm sure if you study for a month for the test you'll be better prepared as well as knowing exactly what to expect from the next test in terms of what type of questions will be asked.

Last I heard was that the ASTB was pass/fail for Academy and ROTC types. I don't think it's changed lately either.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
hmmm i heard, could be wrong, that the Academy types just had to pass it, ie 5's, and that there wasnt a pass/fail thing for us ROTC guys, ie that 5's were average but we just had to score at least 6's or 7's to be competitive...heard this from one of my buddies who went on cruise with some academy mids...they said they got 5's and werent retaking as they just had to pass...

Matthew89

Just took the ASTB on Tuesday and got 7/7/7 63. I had taken it a month earlier and gotten 5 5 5 48. The ARCO book and Barron's helped a ton, so did the Navy gouge website. Seeing the old API materials (available on the Gouge) and general aviation facts is important. Airplane right of ways, aircraft performance factors, engine factors and weather basics are on every test. I think that practicing the exams in the ARCO and Barron's book will help everyone improve and feel more confident for the next exam. I am in ROTC and have a 3.8 gpa in Communication at NC State and will be submitting my package this summer. Good luck to everyone else taking it, study the material and you'll do fine. S/F

bautista

hey matthew which barrons book did u use? the military flight aptitude test or the officer candidate school tests? and I hear they have some mistakes in the barrons book is this true? thanks for any information

tpietsch

I took the ASTB Form 5 today. First attempt: 8/8/8 62.

I met my goal of 8's, knowing that I would have to blow this test out the water to make up for my GPA and degree type (2.82, BA Business, University of Oregon). I wanted to score above a 65 for OAR, however I believe I read on this site somewhere that OAR is affected by GPA. If so, then I'm not disappointed.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on this site and this particular thread. There are so many times when I needed clarification in my studying and this site provided repeatedly.

So, I have no aviation background but through studying for this test, I have become obsessed with the idea of attaining an SNA position and ultimately becoming an aviator. That's what it takes, I think, is not merely and interest in the subject matter but an obsession. (Case in point: I was interested in Business) Here's what I used to prepare myself:

atrickpay's gouge
marine mechanical gouge
marine practice test
ARCO Military Flight
ARCO Officer
Barron's Military Flight
Barron's Officer
Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK)
FAA Airplane Flying Handbook

Barron's is endlessly frustrating because of numerous mistakes, especially the Officer book but they each have two full practice tests which is great. I used these guides in the leadup to my test (which was postponed, interestingly, because the base in Tennessee flooded... I thought the Navy was supposed to be good in water, heh. But I'm not complaining because as I was forced to wait longer and my nerves increased, I decided to pick up both Barron's books).

atrickpay, whoever you are (Patrick, I assume) thank you for sharing your study guide.
Marine stuff is great for just starting out.
ARCO was great in all sections.
PHAK is a lot of material, but fantastic... and thorough.
I don't recommend studying the Airplane Flying Handbook for this test. It was just way too technical. I put it down after three chapters and found the PHAK.

Onward, to submitting my package. Wish me luck.

AirSpiral

K, so just left the recruiting station

Scores: 6/6/7/53

I know the coming FY is going to be extremely competitive from what I've heard. Anybody know how these scores will do for Navy, Marines?

Matthew89

Bautista - I used the Barron's Aviation book. There are a lot of typos and errors, but it will still give you a pretty good idea of where you are at. The ARCO books don't have nearly as many mistakes and are great. AirSpiral - The minimum scores are 5 6 for Marines and 4 5 for Navy (Pretty sure, at least). I am in NROTC and have friends who got your exact same scores. 6 6 is above average, but I have been told by my Captain that 7 7 is what they consider more competitive this year. With that said, I also know people who were recently selected for SNA with 6's across the board. I also met an Ensign waiting for flight school that had 5 5. The Navy really does look at your entire package, the ASTB is a part of the whole picture. I would reccomend studying a little more and then shooting for 7s and 8s, that will be very achievable for you. Hope that helps a little.

Lucy

hey tpietsch- Just an FYI, the OAR is no way impacted by your GPA. It is composed solely on your performence on the Math, Reading, and Mechanical sections. That said, a 62 is well within the competive range, and 8''s also. While it might not make up for your GPA it should show a higher capability than what your GPA does.
Best of Luck!
Lucy