• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

snwomack

Well I'll lay it all out and just ask for opinions and feedback like everyone else does...6/6/6 53 with a 3.03 GPA in Business Management. I'm 26 and have been in sales and finance since graduation. I worked 30-40 hours a week through college but was still involved in leadership roles (class president, vice president, tutor, fraternity vice president for 4 years) i was selected to be lead manager for our university's student portfolio ( they hand picked 6 of us and put us in charge of a million dollars and said...let's see how well you can do and we did well. I've been interviewed by Forbes Magazine and now own my own small company. I really enjoy what I do but really think I can make it as an officer in the Navy.

Now for the bad...I was arrested twice in college (Minor with Alcohol-expunged, Driving while license suspended which was a clerical mistake and the charges were dropped). My GPA obviously isn't that great and I didn't do as well on the ASTB as I wanted to 6/6/6 53. I don't know any high ranking officers or public official for recommendations. Looking for selection in Supply, Crypto, or Intel. Any feedback or opinions are appreciated and welcomed!

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
How long before you take the test should you start studying?

Check the link I posted giving citadel1289 some props. He does a great job of breaking down what he studied and he scored very well on the test. He started about two months before he took the test.

That being said, everyone studies and learns differently, so find the best way that works for you because the MOST important thing is to study efficiently.

cmdonlon

Just got my scores back and would like opinions as to whether or not I should retake. I got a 52 5,6,5. I graduated from film school 5 years ago with a 3.4 gpa. I've worked in advertising, marketing and film production for the past 12 years. I am looking for selection in Public Affairs, second choice would be Supply. What do you think?

GreenLantern330

cmdonion - From what I've seen on here, they tend to pick priors or those already in the fleet for PAO; rarely pick civilians, but it's worth a try. Compared to some of the scores I've seen in other threads, your scores look pretty solid. If anything you could apply and if you don't get it, then retake and reapply.

Question for anyone else: I was thinking of studying over summer for the ASTB and then taking it in fall when school starts up again, but I'm not applying for OCS until either summer or fall 2011. I know the scores don't expire, but would it look bad for your package to have scores from about a year prior to submitting?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
cmdonion - From what I've seen on here, they tend to pick priors or those already in the fleet for PAO; rarely pick civilians, but it's worth a try. Compared to some of the scores I've seen in other threads, your scores look pretty solid. If anything you could apply and if you don't get it, then retake and reapply.

Question for anyone else: I was thinking of studying over summer for the ASTB and then taking it in fall when school starts up again, but I'm not applying for OCS until either summer or fall 2011. I know the scores don't expire, but would it look bad for your package to have scores from about a year prior to submitting?

You can apply while still in school, just have to apply under BDCP. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjo2/a/bdcp.htm

Here is the AW thread re: people's questions about BDCP: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146005

It is a great deal if you are accepted. I highly recommend checking that out if you are planning on applying for OCS anyway once you graduate.

GreenLantern330

Due to a waiver issue, I won't be able to apply until my senior year (I'm a junior now). I believe for BDCP you have to have like 12 months or something like that left and by the time I'll actually be able to apply, I don't think I'll be qualified for BDCP. I talked to my OR about it and she just said to work on everything for my package while I wait to get the note needed from my doctor for the waiver.... Sooo I figured I'd start with the ASTB. But thanks for the info on BDCP.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Due to a waiver issue, I won't be able to apply until my senior year (I'm a junior now). I believe for BDCP you have to have like 12 months or something like that left and by the time I'll actually be able to apply, I don't think I'll be qualified for BDCP. I talked to my OR about it and she just said to work on everything for my package while I wait to get the note needed from my doctor for the waiver.... Sooo I figured I'd start with the ASTB. But thanks for the info on BDCP.

My apologies, just didn't want to see someone make the same mistake I did as an undergrad.

Good luck with the waiver and studying with the ASTB.

Grif

Hey everyone, I just joined yesterday, but I have been reading from this site and navy-officer.com quite frequently over the last couple of weeks. I just took the test this morning and got a 62 7/6/6. It was a little lower than I had hoped, but I am trying to finish taking the CPA exam as well, so I have had a lot going on lately. I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their advice, it has been really helpful.

perkinshe

I just got back from taking the ASTB. I made a 7/7/7 53. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the scores and the chances I have of getting selected. I graduated college with a 3.4 GPA.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I just got back from taking the ASTB. I made a 7/7/7 53. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the scores and the chances I have of getting selected. I graduated college with a 3.4 GPA.

Those were about my scores. I'll let you know in...six weeks.

But those are fine scores. Meets the min. for all designators, but SNA has been hittin' lately at 60. However, the rest of them are open.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
It's not just about scores or GPA. I have a 3.08 GPA and a 5/6/5 52, which are both on the low side, because I'm weak in math. I last took any class four years ago, I'm 26 (turning 27 in FY11), and there is no time for me to go pick up some classwork. That being said, my last three semesters were 4.0, 4.0, and 3.4. I did what I could to make up for my blemishes.

Far more important it seems for my package are my LORs and my Officer Interview. To show who I am, as opposed to who I was. I may not be the sharpest stylus in the box, and I may not have an intuitive grasp of math or science, but I've got LORs saying that I don't give up, that I take on challenges, and if it takes me a while, I wrestle with them until I beat them into submission, and get the job done.

This is just as important, if not more important, than how you fared in school or how well you do on standardised tests. What do you call the guys at the top and the bottom of the classes when they pin on the butter bars?

Ensign.