• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jph

I'd say those scores are about average, with your OAR score being slightly above average. Whether or not you retake, I think, depends on a couple of things: what you're applying to and how the rest of your application looks (i.e., gpa, prior service or not, any previous flying experience (if going aviation) ... pretty much that "whole person concept" everyone talks about). Your age could also influence your decision to retake (if you're coming up on age limits and want to go aviation).

I think general advice would be go ahead and submit since those scores aren't below average, and if you get picked up, great, if not, then you can study and retake. It also depends on your recruiter. If you read some of the very recent posts on this thread, you'll see we were talking about recruiters and their resubmit practices. Sorry for such a non-black & white answer. It just depends really.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
i would tend to agree with that statement...if you do decide to retake it, then you will have some idea of the nature of this thing and probably will be able to fouc your studying...good luck

blarged

ready
So I was a recent non-select for SWO. My OAR score was 60.

You aren't alone in that boat. Just cause you have a good OAR doesn't mean you will get picked up. Volunteer some more, get some more leadership experience, wait the time, and apply again. I was non-select my first time with a 65 on the OAR and was picked up the second time (for IW though). Don't let it get you down and try try again.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
You aren't alone in that boat. Just cause you have a good OAR doesn't mean you will get picked up. Volunteer some more, get some more leadership experience, wait the time, and apply again. I was non-select my first time with a 65 on the OAR and was picked up the second time (for IW though). Don't let it get you down and try try again.

i think thats the key point, not just with applying to ocs, but with anything in rotc, ocs, the academy or the military in general, speaking from my complete and utter lack of experience

kfgaris

I have a question. I'm still doing all necessary work to apply for OCS. Here my qual's so far:

Graduated Liberty University Multi-Disciplinary Studies: 3.2 GPA
Extensive leadership experience, leading the youth group at my church.
Currently at hour 17 in Private Pilot Lessons and am planning to get my Private Pilot License in no more than two months from now.
Currently studying for the ASTB.
LOR's will be from both an Air Force retired pilot and recruiter.

Can anyone give me tips for the ASTB. Especially to know what is best to study in the nautical and mechanical comprehension areas?
Also, with my GPA, hopefully decent ASTB scores, and Private Pilot License; what are my chances of getting selected?

Any light you can shed would be appreciated.​

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
ASTB date scheduled for April 30th. I have a little over a week to get everything dialed in and locked up.

Thank you all on here for the gouge and answers to many of my questions!

Going to be applying for SNA, NFO, Intel in that order.

jsquared89

I took the test today, Form 5.

7/6/7 66 were my scores after not studying at all. I am however going to the Nuclear Engineering Program and my GPA is low, so I will in all likely hood take it again after studying a bit harder.

A recommendation to those taking the test, study the things in regards to Aviation/Naval crap that you think are a bit obscure. Like for example missile designations and what certain lights mean around runways/airports etc.

GreenLantern330

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. Do ASTB scores expire and should you take it within a certain amount of time of submitting your package?

WEGL12

VT-28
Jsquared89: Why are you taking the ASTB for Nuclear Power? I looked into NUPOC briefly and never saw the ASTB as a requirement. Plus if it is required I would imagine that only the OAR score is used. I may be mistaken so don’t hold me to it but I don’t think the ASTB is needed in your case. Plus your scores are pretty good anyway especially your OAR.

GreenLantern330: My recruiter told me the ASTB scores are good for life and never expire. So you can take the ASTB this year and apply in say 2015 without any problems.

jsquared89

Jsquared89: Why are you taking the ASTB for Nuclear Power? I looked into NUPOC briefly and never saw the ASTB as a requirement. Plus if it is required I would imagine that only the OAR score is used. I may be mistaken so don’t hold me to it but I don’t think the ASTB is needed in your case. Plus your scores are pretty good anyway especially your OAR.

You are right in that it is not a requirement. However, since my GPA is a bit low right now, it was suggested that I take it to increase my chances as well as that if I do not get into NUPOC now, I can go into one of a few other ranks, like the SWO or one of the pilot programs or otherwise and then reapply when my GPA is higher(around a 3.0 or 3.3).

As well, one thing that I may have left out is that I go to the Colorado School of Mines. A very difficult engineering school (though not as hard as MIT) and I know that there are many engineers that currently attend that are in the NUPOC program and that the NUPOC directors or whatever know very much about and like the school a lot and give leeway to students there.

So, this basically means if you are looking at going into the NUPOC program and are going elsewhere, get a degree in engineering and have a GPA of 3.7 or higher and you are very very likely to get in.

Jokes

This is what I was wondering. I know I need to improve my package in several ways in order to be selected. I was wondering if this was one thing to focus on, or if my score was high enough that I should focus on another part of my package.

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've been helpful.

NightHawk7125

Final Select SNA
Took my ASTB back in June and scored a 50 6/7/7.
Was PRO REC'D in October for SNA, but found out I lost my spot a few weeks ago.
I am going to apply again, but not sure if I should retake the ASTB.
My recruiter thinks I did fine, and should not retake, but seeing all these recent selects with high OAR scores and 8's and 9's makes me wonder if I would not be competitive anymore.
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
- NightHawk7125