• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

nativeofsandieg

Just got my scores back,

6, 7, 7, 53

I knew I did horrible on the first math section, my OAR was expected. Not sure if I should take the test again...

jdhvb

i wouldnt, thats a good starter score, submit it, see how it goes and always can take it again

ps i was pro-recd with a 4/4/5 45 for SNFO in Jan 2010.... so i def had worse scores than you did...

mcgheetech79

OAR score

Hey everyone. this is my first time posting. Im a IT1 in the Navy I just toke my OAR today and relized I need to study some more becuase I got a 34. I have to wait another month before I can take it. Im going to the Library today and getting some Arco books and A GMAT book for the math part.

Kirtley

MIDN 1/C
Took the ASTB a couple weeks ago,
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 8
OAR: 65

All I can do now is sit and wait for my service assignment...

A

AlexSmart

Took the ASTB a couple weeks ago,
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 8
OAR: 65

All I can do now is sit and wait for my service assignment...

Should be whatever you want man, thats a kickass score. Nativeofsandieg, what materials did you use for studying?

nativeofsandieg

That is a good score Kirtley, how did you feel on the math section?

I used the Peterson's, some ASVAB, and some gouge for the math and mechanical. I also studied some physics books, and I read the FAA handbook. I also read some from the navy-officer website. I ran out of time on the Math which was the most difficult for me. I don't think I missed any questions on the Spatial or Nautical/Aviation sections. I played X-wing when it first came out and every following flight simulator after that, and was surprised how simple the pictures looked, maybe its just me... Anyway, thats probably more info than you wanted but there wasn't anything on the test that wasn't on this website, except for the mechanical. I am impressed with the Peterson's guide, on my test there were a few questions that were in the exact same format as in the study guide. I purchased the GRE/GMAT from petersons, but too be honest I didn't need it.

I simply lost track of time on the math, but we will see what happens from here. Getting my package together despite the pleas from my recruiter, but I'll take my chances...

A

AlexSmart

I would definitely study the following stuff a little more:

http://www.gouge.navygouge.com/images/ASTB_mechanical.pdf

http://www.gouge.navygouge.com/images/ASTB_gouge.pdf

I used the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I picked it up on eBay for like 17 bucks. While I am not promoting illegal activity, I also picked up the Jeppessen Private Pilot DVD set on bittorrent. Both helped a lot, and a lot of the questions I got on the aviation supplemental sections were almost verbatim from the Private Pilot DVDs. I would recommend getting the Barron's book for the practice tests at the very least. My advice is to simulate the test conditions as much as possible.

Finally, AirWarrior user "atrickpay" posted his personal study guide:

http://navy-officer.com/AVIATION.pdf

atrickpay's packet was probably the most concise and helpful gouge I used. I ended up getting a 60 OAR and 8/9/9

jlil41

You can take it your own convenience but also at your OR's. I would go ahead and talk with your recruiter and figure out when is best for both of you but ultimately it is your decision.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
If I want to take the astb before I graduate May 10, should I schedule it now? Or can I wait until the week I'm ready to take it?

The first time I ever spoke to my recruiter, he had me come in to take the ASTB the next day. While I don't speak for recruiters by any means, when I took the test he just stuck me in a closet with a computer and told me to "hold it" for a couple hours until the test was over. You could probably get away with calling him when you're ready, but it seems like a good idea to call him and get a time table set up. That way you actually get hardcore about your studying.

A

AlexSmart

The first time I ever spoke to my recruiter, he had me come in to take the ASTB the next day.

Really? One of the first things my OR told me when we first met was he would wait until I was ready to take the ASTB.

R14

Just took the test today and got a 5/5/4 52. I am going for Intel and my recruiting officer said my score was competitive, but when he asked another lieutenant's opinion, the LT said that it probably wasn't and I should look into something else or retake.

chrisc

Just took the test today and got a 5/5/4 52. I am going for Intel and my recruiting officer said my score was competitive, but when he asked another lieutenant's opinion, the LT said that it probably wasn't and I should look into something else or retake.

What options did the LT give you?