• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jdhvb

First you have to fill it out on the form, its 4 or 5 questions. Then you have an interview with the doctor and he asks you various questions about drugs, alcohol, etc.

A

AlexSmart

Those are great scores. Really good.

At what point at MEPS did they ask you about alcohol? I don't remember any questions when I went, did you volunteer this information?

The first paperwork you fill out is an extensive questionnaire and there is a section on your alcohol consumption. If you are someone like myself (a beer of glass of wine with dinner 3-5 times a week, 6 or more drinks in one night at a bar once a month) and you answer the questions truthfully you will automatically be required to see a psychiatrist. If you have been to MEPS recently, you would agree with me that the multiple choice questions don't follow the previous ones and are nonsensical.

Long story short: Did I party in college? Yes. Out of Control or More than most? No. Have I grown up and matured since my freshman year of college? Yes. Do I still take a drink from time to time? Yes. Does it affect my health or life in any negative way? No.

I understand that alcohol related issues, for good reason, are of great concern to the military, however, the current system of evaluating these issues could potentially disqualify LOTS of perfectly healthy applicants (myself included).

A

AlexSmart

But getting back to ASTB gouge, I think AW member "atrickpay" has a link to this personal guide he put together a few pages back on this thread. Good stuff to run through in the last two or three study nights leading up to your test date. On another note, my math and verbal sections were split up into two times sections. I was under the impression that they were in one combined section.

With the verbal section, my best advice would be to read to text of the question at least three times. When picking the correct answer, ask yourself: "What can I infer using ONLY this information/text provided?" i.e. NOT using background knowledge or conclusions.

nativeofsandieg

Thought I would throw this question out there. I have been studying non stop before my test date arrives and I am trying to know the ins and outs of every type of mechanical equation. Borrowed from the Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test.

Weightbalanceproblem2.jpg

blarged

ready
Thought I would throw this question out there. I have been studying non stop before my test date arrives and I am trying to know the ins and outs of every type of mechanical equation. Borrowed from the Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test.

Weightbalanceproblem2.jpg

I would guess 10 pounds? Are there answers in the book to check?

nativeofsandieg

Yah there are. The original question was slightly different than this one, I just moved some of the numbers around. However the same formulas apply. I am no expert by any means, nor do I claim to be.... just a simple dude studying books.... the answer and explanation the book makes absolutely no sense, but if you use some of the gouge mechanical informational than you can get the right answer. Makes me wonder who the hell is writing these books I buy on Amazon...

(Force)(Distance) = (Force)(Distance)

(6)(5)+(3)(X) = (6)(10)

A

AlexSmart

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you have the mechanical stuff from the usual gouge down pat (marine gouge, navygouge, barron's or arco book), you are going to do just fine on the actual test (at least if you take Form 3, i'm not sure how much variation there is between the different forms). What I would definitely suggest is finding like a good high school AP algebra text books at a Goodwill or something along those lines. They asked a lot of questions about principles of algebra, not necessarily specific problems to just figure out. I got a good score on the OAR section of the test but I think my familiarity with the mechanical gouge made up for my less-than-adequate algebra skills.

rudvanis

Not to say your wrong AlexSmart but I took form 4 and that definitely in my opinion needs some more mechanical and aviation study than is just in gouges here... Form 4 was quite difficult. I'm believe earlier in this thread someone said they took 3 and got pretty good scores. Everything on here is of great help but just my recommendation that you get more mechanical and aviation study if you get form 4. Good luck to everyone!

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
I just took the test this morning in LA and got a 7/7/9 60. How's the score? The officer's at the recruiting district said it was really good. Any opinions?
Thanks!

A

AlexSmart

Not to say your wrong AlexSmart but I took form 4 and that definitely in my opinion needs some more mechanical and aviation study than is just in gouges here... Form 4 was quite difficult. I'm believe earlier in this thread someone said they took 3 and got pretty good scores. Everything on here is of great help but just my recommendation that you get more mechanical and aviation study if you get form 4. Good luck to everyone!

Yea, it must be luck of the draw when it comes to was sort of questions you get. I think when it comes down to it, to truly be ready for all of the material that COULD be asked, you should be studying consistently for a few months.

nativeofsandieg

I talked to my recruiter and he mentioned something about the math section only dealing with fractions, no decimals or percents. Can anyone vouge for that?

leigh321

A couple questions:

Do they give you the formulas on the mechanical section?
Do you get a calculator with basic functions?
Is the only kind of question on the reading section short paragraphs with comprehension questions?
If I'm pretty smart yet have never taken a physics course can I still do well on the mechanical section with a decent amount of studying?
Is time an issue for most people?
(only have to take the OAR sections)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
A couple questions:

Do they give you the formulas on the mechanical section?
Do you get a calculator with basic functions?
Is the only kind of question on the reading section short paragraphs with comprehension questions?
If I'm pretty smart yet have never taken a physics course can I still do well on the mechanical section with a decent amount of studying?
Is time an issue for most people?
(only have to take the OAR sections)

1. No
2. No
3. Yes, on mine
4. Probably, I don't see why not (it is not calculus based)
5. Not me in fact all but 1 section I still had 3-5 mins remaining.

A

AlexSmart

I have never taken a college physics course and I think it was actually my good score on the mechanical section that made up for my math section (I got a 60 OAR). IMHO the ARCO book has the most difficult mechanical study guide. The ASTB will provide you a couple formulas for area of a circle, volume of a sphere, and surface area of a sphere (which never came up in Form 3). The math section is the only one where I came close to running out of time. I STRONGLY recommend skipping ahead to the next problem if you are drawing a blank because it is extremely easy to come back to. There is a grid on the bottom of the screen that will show which questions you have and have not completed, and all you have to do is click on the number.