• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mjr5

It was a bit ago so I don't remember the exact process, just that it was very intuitive. Install the joystick software and make sure it's all up to date and being detected by your computer. Once that's set, just open antimicro, it detects the inputs and lets you assign joystick/throttle buttons to keys and the joystick axes to mouse movements.
It should work with any joystick/throttle theoretically, but I used the t.flight hotas one combo and it worked without issue, and if I remember correctly I read somewhere here that the ASTB uses some variation of the tfllight hotas series. If you have any issues hmu and I'll try to help the best I can!
I have the software downloaded and my desktop is detecting the joystick and throttle and the antimicro software is allowing me to set the joystick controls inverted and set the throttle up and down to coincide with the online simulator that uses the W and S keys for up/down. However; When I get to the simulator itself the throttle ends up inverted and the joystick remains standard up/down and not inverted. I made sure several times that I was inputting the right controls for each one too but somehow they wont save and end up backwards when I get to the simulator. Do you have any advice or previous trouble dealing with this? Thanks.

enzy24

I have the software downloaded and my desktop is detecting the joystick and throttle and the antimicro software is allowing me to set the joystick controls inverted and set the throttle up and down to coincide with the online simulator that uses the W and S keys for up/down. However; When I get to the simulator itself the throttle ends up inverted and the joystick remains standard up/down and not inverted. I made sure several times that I was inputting the right controls for each one too but somehow they wont save and end up backwards when I get to the simulator. Do you have any advice or previous trouble dealing with this? Thanks.
Can't really test it at work but I think I might have had the same issue and just set the controls incorrectly in antimicro (both non-inverted) so that it still worked correctly in the sim. I assume the sim automatically sets controls to inverted (as that is how the ASTB is) which means when you set the controls to inverted in antimicro it inverts the inversion setting you back to normal. Just a guess

mjr5

Can't really test it at work but I think I might have had the same issue and just set the controls incorrectly in antimicro (both non-inverted) so that it still worked correctly in the sim. I assume the sim automatically sets controls to inverted (as that is how the ASTB is) which means when you set the controls to inverted in antimicro it inverts the inversion setting you back to normal. Just a guess
Okay thanks I'll play around with it a little bit more. The sim uses s/w keys for down/up for the throttle plane and when I set those as the throttle axis movements it just stays still and when I put them backwards (w/s) it inverts the inversion as you said and goes opposite. Same thing with the joystick even when I put them backwards it makes the inversion go to normal and when I invert the controls it still stays normal. I'm sure it's just something small that I'm missing but Hopefully it will work soon. If you come across any solution just let me know but if not I appreciate your help to this point.

enzy24

Okay thanks I'll play around with it a little bit more. The sim uses s/w keys for down/up for the throttle plane and when I set those as the throttle axis movements it just stays still and when I put them backwards (w/s) it inverts the inversion as you said and goes opposite. Same thing with the joystick even when I put them backwards it makes the inversion go to normal and when I invert the controls it still stays normal. I'm sure it's just something small that I'm missing but Hopefully it will work soon. If you come across any solution just let me know but if not I appreciate your help to this point.
Yeah if you've gotten this far it should just be a quick fix hopefully, if you haven't fixed it by tonight I'll take a look for sure

Dman27

I'm retaking the OAR because I was not selected in the last boards for supply any ideas on how to boost my score. I am taking the exam next week.
OAR:52
GPA:3.0
B.A. Economics

exNavyOffRec

I'm retaking the OAR because I was not selected in the last boards for supply any ideas on how to boost my score. I am taking the exam next week.
OAR:52
GPA:3.0
B.A. Economics
Your OAR is fine, it will give you a reason to resubmit but it won't be the reason you are selected, since Supply looks at the applications more than other designators, your GPA is low for Supply but what was the rest of your application like?

Dman27

Your OAR is fine, it will give you a reason to resubmit but it won't be the reason you are selected, since Supply looks at the applications more than other designators, your GPA is low for Supply but what was the rest of your application like?
I think its pretty solid, its heavily geared towards supply. I have a lot of leadership positions in professional fraternities that involved logistical work. I have a good amount of volunteering as well. My recruiter wants me to reapply and thinks I have a shot, I don't know if that actually means anything though.

exNavyOffRec

I think its pretty solid, its heavily geared towards supply. I have a lot of leadership positions in professional fraternities that involved logistical work. I have a good amount of volunteering as well. My recruiter wants me to reapply and thinks I have a shot, I don't know if that actually means anything though.

Nothing wrong with trying, if they give you a N the next time might be time to look at other options, the GPA could be hurting you on the last group you were in.

Josh_Link

Still grinding away for my 3rd attempt... I was wondering what everyone used for the ANIT portion? So far, I have FAA manual, Barrons, and the 400+ flashcard set on Cram. What else can I utilize to really get the Naval stuff down pat? Thanks for any advice!

astrokristin

Hello! I am taking the ASTB/OAR test in late August and am preparing with the Trivium Test Prep books. Anyone have any study tips/advice on helpful textbooks I can read into before these next few weeks pass? I've been skimming thru some threads/posts on the site and found a bunch of awesome help. Just reaching out personally now to see if anyone who's recently taken the test (in person) has any advice. Thanks!

Info about me: Double degree Biology and Chemistry w/ Physics minor. GPA: 3.6

Robinsonja02

Hello! Taking the ASTB at the end of the month! I found an apple on my iPhone called “ASTB Prep”, questions seem legit and wanted to see if anybody else had used the app and if it was helpful in obtaining a good score??Hope studying is going great for everybody! Thanks

Josh_Link

on the emergency procedures, is the green/red on the dials low/high? I cannot remember exactly how the dials were set up, and now i am questioning if i did it right at all lol

Josh_Link

Hello! I am taking the ASTB/OAR test in late August and am preparing with the Trivium Test Prep books. Anyone have any study tips/advice on helpful textbooks I can read into before these next few weeks pass? I've been skimming thru some threads/posts on the site and found a bunch of awesome help. Just reaching out personally now to see if anyone who's recently taken the test (in person) has any advice. Thanks!

Info about me: Double degree Biology and Chemistry w/ Physics minor. GPA: 3.6
Barrons and FAA manual seem to be pretty good