• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

First attempt on the OAR and I received a 46. I was told by my recruiter that I should apply for the next SWO board (August), with this score. He said I have a strong APSR motivational statement and Letter of Rec. file. I'm nervous that this OAR doesn't "stand out" enough. I am tempted to apply with this score though so I don't waste another try on the OAR this go around. Thoughts? 3.25 GPA in Accounting. Captain of athletic teams in the past, and some other marketable things.
see my other response, but no one really cares about the OAR it is just a ticket to get to the board.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Very Quality scores, what programs are you going for?
SNA or SNFO. I'm NROTC so scores aren't as big of a deal. Pretty sure they are good enough to pick up, I'm not sure if its a pass-fail style thing or higher scores actually help beyond 4 5 5 so I probably wont take again.

NevarYalnal

SNA or SNFO. I'm NROTC so scores aren't as big of a deal. Pretty sure they are good enough to pick up, I'm not sure if its a pass-fail style thing or higher scores actually help beyond 4 5 5 so I probably wont take again.
it's definitely not pass fail, one will have a hard time getting picked up with a 4 5 5. your scores are plenty fine though, congrats

user9876

Hey yall Im super new here going to be taking the ASTB in about a month I keep seeing people talk about how good kyles information is, could someone point me in the right direction of finding that thanks!!

Just took the ASTB for the first time and I scored a 58 7/8/7 with 3.89 GPA (Neuroscience), applying for SNA/Intel/NFO. Happy but also felt average after seeing all the higher scores but oh well it is what it is. But i'm here to give back my advice since this thread has been credibly helpful throughout my studying process. Studied for about 1 week (2-3 hours a day). Just do a bunch of practice from Kyle's drive (mentioned many times).

Tips: Make sure go through the last 150 pages of this thread (this is gold - you will score at least a 50 if you do). And make sure you bring water and ear plugs.

Math: 40 mins but I did like 10 questions and it kicked me out with at least 20 mins left. Thought it would be at least 20-25 questions but idk. NO DRT what so ever. Just 2-3 root questions, 1 inequalities (LITERALLY 2 answers are correct so i just closed my eyes and guessed). This question goes like if a > 0 and b<3, which is true (simple but answers are ambiguous). 1 log question, 1 matrix (not the same dimension), 1 very long tedious equation for foil/simplification, 1 dice question, 1 question on geometry (super hard i guessed it) goes like if area of a box to be assembled is 144, if bob cuts the corners 9x9, whats the length of the box. That was the last question and it kicked me out

Reading: People said it's mostly Navy passages but I got a good 50/50 mix of Navy/non-navy related passages so it was doable. But yes Navy passages are run-ons, very hard to break down. Ran out of time for this section.

Physics: Just do the practice and you'll be find. The study guide is adequate for this section. Easy and I breezed through.

Pilot/naval info: ALOT OF HISTORY and some VFR questions. A couple of aileron questions and pressure/altitude relationship. Spent like 2 hours studying this, not that hard.

UAV: Quite tough. The parking lots aren't always in the same position (sometimes it's crooked not in the + or x format so that threw me off). Got around 3-4 questions wrong with about 2 sec average.

Listening: Tough, but I just took off the headset of the non-tested ear and that became 10x easier

Tracking: The stick and throttle are terrible. They aren't responsive. There's a little lit of delay, which makes it 1000000x times harder. But besides that pretty self-explanatory. I thought I did bad but hey you arent supposed to ace this section

Emergency: Easy they gave you 3 scenarios (fire, engine, propeller). and you just adjust the knobs and press clutch on your throttle. This combined with the tracking so pay attention to the emergency first then the tracking.

That's it, I thought I did a lot better, came out i'm just average :( but my recruiter said the score is decent and the selection process is a whole person concept so make sure you get some extracurricular activities in there.

Last edited:

Torchic

is it true the mechanical portion is not a lot of calculating?
I took it today and there were not a lot of calculations but it could be different for you. Did not score very well but wanted to see what exactly the test is like and where I need to be more prepared for. It is definitely a challenging test.

Torchic

Just took the ASTB for the first time and I scored a 58 7/8/7 with 3.89 GPA (Neuroscience), applying for SNA/Intel/NFO. Happy but also felt average after seeing all the higher scores but oh well it is what it is. But i'm here to give back my advice since this thread has been credibly helpful throughout my studying process. Studied for about 1 week (2-3 hours a day). Just do a bunch of practice from Kyle's drive (mentioned many times).

Tips: Make sure go through the last 150 pages of this thread (this is gold - you will score at least a 50 if you do). And make sure you bring water and ear plugs.

Math: 40 mins but I did like 10 questions and it kicked me out with at least 20 mins left. Thought it would be at least 20-25 questions but idk. NO DRT what so ever. Just 2-3 root questions, 1 inequalities (LITERALLY 2 answers are correct so i just closed my eyes and guessed). This question goes like if a > 0 and b<3, which is true (simple but answers are ambiguous). 1 log question, 1 matrix (not the same dimension), 1 very long tedious equation for foil/simplification, 1 dice question, 1 question on geometry (super hard i guessed it) goes like if area of a box to be assembled is 144, if bob cuts the corners 9x9, whats the length of the box. That was the last question and it kicked me out

Reading: People said it's mostly Navy passages but I got a good 50/50 mix of Navy/non-navy related passages so it was doable. But yes Navy passages are run-ons, very hard to break down. Ran out of time for this section.

Physics: Just do the practice and you'll be find. The study guide is adequate for this section. Easy and I breezed through.

Pilot/naval info: ALOT OF HISTORY and some VFR questions. A couple of aileron questions and pressure/altitude relationship. Spent like 2 hours studying this, not that hard.

UAV: Quite tough. The parking lots aren't always in the same position (sometimes it's crooked not in the + or x format so that threw me off). Got around 3-4 questions wrong with about 2 sec average.

Listening: Tough, but I just took off the headset of the non-tested ear and that became 10x easier

Tracking: The stick and throttle are terrible. They aren't responsive. There's a little lit of delay, which makes it 1000000x times harder. But besides that pretty self-explanatory. I thought I did bad but hey you arent supposed to ace this section

Emergency: Easy they gave you 3 scenarios (fire, engine, propeller). and you just adjust the knobs and press clutch on your throttle. This combined with the tracking so pay attention to the emergency first then the tracking.

That's it, I thought I did a lot better, came out i'm just average :( but my recruiter said the score is decent and the selection process is a whole person concept so make sure you get some extracurricular activities in there.
I am new to this page, do you know where is Kyle’s Drive? I need a lot of practice for the math and mechanics parts.

Oshun8235

I am new to this page, do you know where is Kyle’s Drive? I need a lot of practice for the math and mechanics parts.

Torchic

Than you very much!