• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec do opinions of civilian docs that contradict MEPS/Navy docs have any effect on an application? If so is there a way to submit them with the SNA application? Thanks.
It is a crap shoot, years ago it wasn't an issue, then due to issues at OCS with people who were cleared by civilian docs they went to not accepting anything from civilian docs, and now it is sometimes accepted. The worse they can say is "no", and in the case of the other guy it is important as N3M looks at pre-op limits and if outside the limits prior to surgery a person would still be DQ for vision.

DGoldy

It is a crap shoot, years ago it wasn't an issue, then due to issues at OCS with people who were cleared by civilian docs they went to not accepting anything from civilian docs, and now it is sometimes accepted. The worse they can say is "no", and in the case of the other guy it is important as N3M looks at pre-op limits and if outside the limits prior to surgery a person would still be DQ for vision.
Well if that's the case I might start looking at the army officer program lol

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
get a vision check and see where it goes, if you want to be a pilot you will need corrective surgery.
On the theme of ongoing medical checks, are there multiple opportunities to get medically-disqualified before getting winged? For example I passed all the vision tests at MEPS but they didn't feel that strict and didn't test certain things that I've since read in the medical waiver guide such as corneal/retinal measurements. I'm lucky to have relatively good vision but I'm not sure if I can breath my huge sigh of relief once/if I pass MEPS. Obviously something glaring could come up at OCS but will the Navy really scrutinize each candidate with a fine-toothed comb before the SNA part begins? Thanks again.

NevarYalnal

On the theme of ongoing medical checks, are there multiple opportunities to get medically-disqualified before getting winged? For example I passed all the vision tests at MEPS but they didn't feel that strict and didn't test certain things that I've since read in the medical waiver guide such as corneal/retinal measurements. I'm lucky to have relatively good vision but I'm not sure if I can breath my huge sigh of relief once/if I pass MEPS. Obviously something glaring could come up at OCS but will the Navy really scrutinize each candidate with a fine-toothed comb before the SNA part begins? Thanks again.
i believe you get a full flight physical at OCS where people can get dq'd for things that didn't show up during MEPS, hence the term "NAMI whammy"

arRay

This is probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone know if anthro is different for NFOs? All my measurements were fine except my sitting height and sitting eye height. My sitting height is 31.7 in. Am I dq'd? It would suck because I spent the last 3 years busting my ass in ROTC.

NavyFanatic32

Hi Everyone,

I am taking the OAR next week and wanted some insight on the test specifically the math portion. I have been using Kyles study guide with the 100+ math questions and the Practice test that has about 60+ questions.

My questions is, is the exam all math word problems? And are they are worded closely to those that are in the practice test 4 questions? Reason why I ask is because in the Math OAR guide some of those questions were very difficult and time consuming to answer without a calculator. Which brings to my next questions. Will the test have clean easy numbers to work with that wont be time consuming to answer without calculator? Also what formulas do they typically give you?

Lastly, for the mechanical comprehension, how many calculations did you have to actually do? Also what formulas are provided?

Thanks!

Oshun8235

Well damn I guess I'm gonna have to do swo and that board is in August :/ is there anything high speed swo's do other than drive ships?
Just out of curiosity. When would you have to get your package in for SWO. I'm assuming sometime around June?

JMT865

Posting on here, as well --

NAVY PILOT/NFO Medical Qualifications.

I am going to MEPS in a few weeks. I am submitting a SNA/NFO package in June. At MEPS, does anybody have information regarding how medical waivers go? I had a few football injuries in high school (breaks, sprains, tears, etc.), but am fully functional now running, lifting weights, pushups, planks, etc.. I am sure I will get waivers for those past injuries and have no worries about that, but I am posting on here to see if anybody else has similar experiences when getting medically cleared for OCS and the pilot/NFO pipeline.

Also, I am aware that there are many medical physicals along the path to become a pilot or NFO that have the ability to disqualify somebody from continuing down that pipeline. How do these physicals go? And, what are physical ailments that disqualify people from, in the long run, going through and graduating from Flight Training? My vision exceeds 20/20 and hearing is not an issue, it is the past bone-breaks and ligament tears that I am mostly worried about.

exNavyOffRec

Posting on here, as well --

NAVY PILOT/NFO Medical Qualifications.

I am going to MEPS in a few weeks. I am submitting a SNA/NFO package in June. At MEPS, does anybody have information regarding how medical waivers go? I had a few football injuries in high school (breaks, sprains, tears, etc.), but am fully functional now running, lifting weights, pushups, planks, etc.. I am sure I will get waivers for those past injuries and have no worries about that, but I am posting on here to see if anybody else has similar experiences when getting medically cleared for OCS and the pilot/NFO pipeline.

Also, I am aware that there are many medical physicals along the path to become a pilot or NFO that have the ability to disqualify somebody from continuing down that pipeline. How do these physicals go? And, what are physical ailments that disqualify people from, in the long run, going through and graduating from Flight Training? My vision exceeds 20/20 and hearing is not an issue, it is the past bone-breaks and ligament tears that I am mostly worried about.

The med sheets you filled out will go to MEPS, if anything is a concern they will ask for documents, In general pins/plates/screws will be an issue, tears of ligaments will probably require consult and waiver.

In many cases it isn't how you are now, it is a "have you ever" situation, and is there any risk (basically disability $$$) if they give you the ok and then you have an issue with the previously injured item.

This probably should have been asked and answered under Doc's corner.

Well damn I guess I'm gonna have to do swo and that board is in August :/ is there anything high speed swo's do other than drive ships?
I recommend LASIK, I am currently a 2/C MIDN and going for SNA/SNFO and I have nothing but good things to say about LASIK. My Doctor even offered 1 year 0% financing loan for It, so it can be super affordable. My class has about 6 or 7 MIDN who are going for SNA who have gotten LASIK or PRK

Good Afternoon everybody, hope all are well! First time posting but have been reading and trying to get spun up on all the resources you all have been providing on the threads. Kyle's info has been more engaging for me than the Barron's book I ordered off of Amazon. I've honestly been studying for about a month and have my test on Thursday 29Apr! Hoping to submit package by Jan 2022 for Pilot/NFO. I got an 84 on my ASVAB and a buddy of mine that recently started flight school advised me to not worry since the ASTB is very similar to the ASVAB (more or less). I just hate taking tests but gotta do what i gotta do. Any last minute tips or advise? Will be sharing my results after the test. Thanks everyone!